F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1422 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I’ll be honest, I’ve actually resorted to stock shift schedule on most of my tunes. Just modified the slip times a bit. Besides that, it’s been the best for everyday driving and towing. The trans seems to shift exactly when it’s suppose to. TCC locks and unlocks perfectly.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I stuffed my bore scope in the engine bay and took a bunch of pictures from 10 to 70 mph. Long story short, the flap didn’t move.

But, my fan shroud now has a sizable gap up the height of both sides:

The gap measures almost 12mm from the back face of the end tank and are the height of the shroud on both sides. So pretty good amount of area.

With a custom tune forcing the fans on high at 150F, paper towels would get sucked through that gap so there is def flow and i suspect the reverse might be happening while going fast. So this achieved what i was trying to do with the flap simply by installing the Mishimoto. The downside is it makes the fans less effective.

I would have to seal these gaps to know for sure if the shroud is causing a blockage.

·
Registered
18 Plat Screw, FX4, 3.5, 10R80, max tow, stock tune, Mishi CAC no louvers, Mishi rad, 40/60 cool/H2O
202 Posts
I stuffed my bore scope in the engine bay and took a bunch of pictures from 10 to 70 mph. Long story short, the flap didn’t move.

But, my fan shroud now has a sizable gap up the height of both sides:

The gap measures almost 12mm from the back face of the end tank and are the height of the shroud on both sides. So pretty good amount of area.

With a custom tune forcing the fans on high at 150F, paper towels would get sucked through that gap so there is def flow and i suspect the reverse might be happening while going fast. So this achieved what i was trying to do with the flap simply by installing the Mishimoto. The downside is it makes the fans less effective.

I would have to seal these gaps to know for sure if the shroud is causing a blockage.
You could run a rubber flap strip down each side of the shroud with a row of rivets. That would provide the same function as the other flaps you already installed.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
That gap looks similar to the one I have with the FR Rad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t know how else they would do it without requiring you to trim the shroud.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I should be towing tomorrow out into Wyoming. Not far, but there are a few big climbs on I-80 at 70mph. It wont be that warm, maybe low 70’s, but should give me an idea of how the truck is doing with the upgrades.

Ill be running my own OEM+ tune. Slightly different shift points due to my 35’s and some of the timing limiters have been moved to allow more timing at higher load, but all the stock exhaust temp safeties are still in place.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Initial report is good but gunna reserve judgement.

The highest temperature I saw was 220*F, but , It was between 70 and 80F during the tow but i had a 15 mph tail wind. I got 10.0 mpg with cruise control set to 70 mph. Hardly a tough pull.

That said it was literally the first time i have ever seen my coolant temps not only stop climbing, but actually start going down when i down shifted. On a few occasions i hit 220 down shifted to 3rd at 4000 rpm and actually saw the temp start to creep down.

But again, 15 mph tailwind.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Bad news. My transmission cooler line blew in the middle of a national forest on a dirt road. I felt it start to slip, immediately stopped but had already lost all my fluid.

Well luckily we were way up on a mountain so I threw the transfer case into neutral and coasted down quite a ways. We hit a hill and came to a stop but a guy in a Raptor rolled up and I had my recovery gear so he was able to pull us the couple miles to the main road.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2013 F150 FX4, 3.5L TT, SCrew, S&B CAI, FR CAC, Solo OR Downpipes, 3.5 in exhaust, 5* Tune
46 Posts
Bad news. My transmission cooler line blew in the middle of a national forest on a dirt road. I felt it start to slip, immediately stopped but had already lost all my fluid.

Well luckily we were way up on a mountain so I threw the transfer case into neutral and coasted down quite a ways. We hit a hill and came to a stop but a guy in a Raptor rolled up and I had my recovery gear so he was able to pull us the couple miles to the main road.

Oh no, did the line just pop off or did it rupture? Glad you got the truck out and it sounds like you avoided any real damage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,069 Posts

Happened to me ONCE.
I had a fully loaded Nissan Titan towing a 33 ' Springdale with ; 2 dogs, cargo, wife, & daughter.....it was in the middle of summer 110° out easily and the transmission line blew spewing all the fluid right there on the Beeline Highway. Had to keep the truck running with AC blasting. Tow truck came, loaded up the Titan and pulled the TT behind it>sucked big time.
Hopefully no damage to your Boost!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Unfortunately, I am in East BF so getting fluid or repairs on a Sunday is impossible. The only AAA repair station was in Roosevelt UT probably 2 hours from where we were. I had the truck towed back to the campground and left to go buy trans fluid and get my fluid pump.

Good news is i got to drive my MIL’s E450 chassis motorhome which has the new 7.3L Godzilla. 10,500 lb dry weight and that thing had no issue cruising up 7% grades at 9000’. Cruised home with the cruise set at 75 mph and that motor just hummed along. Its not even the same power as the superduty either, I think its rated at 350 hp vs 430 in the SD.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Been there before. It's nice to travel on the weekend, but unfortunately most places are closed so it's a major PITA to deal with. You got lucky being in the backwoods. Good work on shroud investigation!

·
Registered
6,094 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
This goes back to my comment on the oil cooler.....no imgaine if that happened there. Your motor would be dead.
Any line is subject to breakage no matter how high it's rating. If I did the external oil cooler I would make sure to install a better oil pressure gauge right at the takeoff.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
This goes back to my comment on the oil cooler.....no imgaine if that happened there. Your motor would be dead.
So where would you mount it?

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Truck is fine and drove home under its own power with a health dose of Valvoline Maxlife ATF. It took 10 or 11 qts but i think probably had about 10 qts still in there(i have the afe pan).

The GX got the privilege of towing the trailer home. Just wanted to get the truck home and make sure everything was ok before flogging it. So no report on the new cooling setup unfortunately.

·
Registered
18 Plat Screw, FX4, 3.5, 10R80, max tow, stock tune, Mishi CAC no louvers, Mishi rad, 40/60 cool/H2O
202 Posts
Truck is fine and drove home under its own power with a health dose of Valvoline Maxlife ATF. It took 10 or 11 qts but i think probably had about 10 qts still in there(i have the afe pan).

The GX got the privilege of towing the trailer home. Just wanted to get the truck home and make sure everything was ok before flogging it. So no report on the new cooling setup unfortunately.

This picture says an awful lot about the challenges towing with an F150 eco. I think a few Ford executives need it hung on their office walls until they can finally erase the overheating problems on the F150.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
This picture says an awful lot about the challenges towing with an F150 eco. I think a few Ford executives need it hung on their office walls until they can finally erase the overheating problems on the F150.
I agree. I probably wouldnt buy another Eco after this unless there is a dramatic change. I really don't want to have to screw with a vehicle that is towing my family out into the middle of nowhere. Just the act of bolting in radiators, oil coolers, upgraded CAC's, etc has an inherent risk and is a point of failure as shown with my incident this weekend. I am guessing that if I had not installed the radiator and messed with the transmission lines I would not have been in that predicament in the first place. Then the overheating itself likely isnt good for the truck. I have not seen issues yet but how many times can you realistically take the thing to 250F before something goes wrong?

It looks like the 2021's use the same size radiator as the 2020's but slightly different specs:

The GX tows ok but certainly is a bit underpowered for a pull in the open country like Wyoming. I had to work it pretty good to keep up with the flow of traffic(65-70mph) and on the hills I was down to 55 mph because I was fighting a headwind.

But, the hottest coolant temp was 195°F, which is basically the temp that the thermostat is opening up. I think the T-stat on it is 180F so I would expect it be just open or just partially open at 195F. That was pretty much WOT too. No mods besides an external transmission cooler which I mounted in the front of the cooling stack.

A little more power and a larger gas tank and I would be pretty happy with the GX.

Reactions: Blown F-150
1281 - 1300 of 1422 Posts