F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1761 - 1772 of 1772 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'm maybe a little less cynical about the complexity of all this. I'm not defending complexity for the sake of complexity, but I think we might underestimate just how much sophistication is actually REQUIRED to operate a motor like the 3.5 Ecoboost.

I also believe that while we can scratch our heads sometimes and think "what were they thinking?", if you look at it from another perspective you can't help but notice that there must be some REALLY REALLY smart people working at Ford.

Boostking's posts are the perspective that I am pointing out. I don't want to put words in his mouth but guys like him and Matt at GearHead are the kind of people that in an effort to speak to someone like me about what is underlying in these trucks, they may not know it but the one thing that I DO understand that they are conveying is that Ford did some AMAZING engineering.

My 2021 Hybrid is just a huge leap in bringing even more of that engineering prowess to the consumer. I'm currently digesting some of what is in it from Fords own documentation. It's mind blowing.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I hear you, but if you have turbos capable of producing X amount of BTUs over X amount of time and you know the cooling system can only handle Y amount of BTUs over Y amount of time, then what you have is something with untapped potential. It's simple math. It's like saying "We know the motor is totally capable, but instead of enabling that, we're just going to cut it off with computer logic." Certainly there is a limit to the stock engineering, but it's much more capable than they allow. This IMO is a deliberate handicap.

What's interesting is they haven't even capitalized on the potential. Get some REAL cooling in there, slap a tune on it and sell a F150 HP for 10K more.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,450 Posts
I hear you, but if you have turbos capable of producing X amount of BTUs over X amount of time and you know the cooling system can only handle Y amount of BTUs over Y amount of time, then what you have is something with untapped potential. It's simple math. It's like saying "We know the motor is totally capable, but instead of enabling that, we're just going to cut it off with computer logic." Certainly there is a limit to the stock engineering, but it's much more capable than they allow. This IMO is a deliberate handicap.

What's interesting is they haven't even capitalized on the potential. Get some REAL cooling in there, slap a tune on it and sell a F150 HP for 10K more.
Absolutely true. I completely agree. But the cooling potential of the Ecoboost is arguably a very focused and narrow subject in the context of everything that is leading edge about it.

It's so much more than a motor that can create more btus than it's capable of managing. Having said that, this legendary thread is legitimate.

·
Administrator
11,322 Posts

My theory has always been they don't do this so they can sell more f250s.

But, honestly, these days an f250 isn't that much more than a 150, so maybe that's not actually a good incentive to neuter it.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
My theory has always been they don't do this so they can sell more f250s.

But, honestly, these days an f250 isn't that much more than a 150, so maybe that's not actually a good incentive to neuter it.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
This is what I can't figure out. A nice little F250 XLT 4x4 with the 7.3L is $50620. An F150 XLT 4x4 with the 3.5L and Max-tow is $51670

Other than not wanting to ride in an F250 to work everyday, there isn't a lot of reasons not to get one at this point.

The incentive for Ford would be that the F250 would not fall under CAFE and they wouldnt get busted for the MPG's.

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
I ONLY desire the SuperDuty more when dragging a load. And I DO prefer it for that!

But as a people hauler? It's not bad or anything like that, but the F150 is a luxury yaught for that task.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I ONLY desire the SuperDuty more when dragging a load. And I DO prefer it for that!

But as a people hauler? It's not bad or anything like that, but the F150 is a luxury yaught for that task.

The New Ford F150. Built Ford Tough so you can take your kids to soccer practice and run over curbs at the Starbucks drivethru.

:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
Guilty!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The New Ford F150. Built Ford Tough so you can take your kids to soccer practice and run over curbs at the Starbucks drivethru.

:ROFLMAO:
I don't know if they have enough ground clearance for curbs at Starbucks...

Hey, if you'd just slow down to the freeway minimum speed limit of 45, carve 25ish sq/ft of frontal area off your TT, and maybe a few thousand pounds as you get to elevation you probably wouldn't have an issue 😒. Or an even better idea, just buy 2 trucks!

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Better to hop the curb anyway, you'd probably overheat sitting in the drive thru....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Better to hop the curb anyway, you'd probably overheat sitting in the drive thru....
You joke, but this almost happened to me. Costco gas station line, 95*, AC cranked, idling in drive and not moving for about 20min. Saw 237*! Rpm was so low there was almost zero flow. I put it in N and bumped the throttle once and it immediately dropped.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I too in fact have breeched a portion of the Starbucks skinny prius like concrete turning circle drive thru out here near my house 😊
Their was a GMC ahead of me and I got a pinch cocky-lol....and well clipped & jumped a portion. I thought possibly that the bowtie owner got a chuckle....I mean if it was reversed I certainly would.
Than the wife chimes in...."you drive much"?
Ohhh here we go....
PS...I got a pet peeve about scrubbing my sidewalls, so that will chap my a.. when & if that happens.
Screenshot_20201118-173905_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
Just got home and sat down for the first bite I've eaten today and you had me bust out laughing.

So a GMC badge is all it takes?

And your wife is the perfect wife for you, I'm guessing. I swear I know the look on her face when she asked that. Lol

1761 - 1772 of 1772 Posts