F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have spotted the beginning signs of rust forming on my steel bumper.
I replaced the factory bumper with a Barricade Extreme HD Rear Bumper from American trucks almost a year ago now. I want to take action and prevent any further rust from happening. Any affordable suggestions?? Thank you!

Merry Christmas ya'll

馃巹馃巹馃巹馃挌馃挌馃挌馃挌馃挌

Moderstrator
If it's just chrome, use a little #0000 Steel Wool (nothing coarser) with a good lubricant, even dish soap will work, to remove the rust. Heck, we used to believe you could use a little 7Up. We were under the impression that citric acid helped the process and it did work. Use very light pressure. Pick a good sealant to protect once clean.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's just chrome, use a little #0000 Steel Wool (nothing coarser) with a good lubricant, even dish soap will work, to remove the rust. Heck, we used to believe you could use a little 7Up. We were under the impression that citric acid helped the process and it did work. Use very light pressure. Pick a good sealant to protect once clean.
It's a heavy-duty, 3mm steel plate bumper. Textured black with a powder-coated finish

Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
3mm thick steel plate won't rust through very quickly. So at least you have time.
I would think if it were powdercoated that it was manufactured with the intent not to rust. Did the coating fail somewhere?
Yea, pictures would help.

Registered
If what you're seeing is truly rust, then the coating has failed. The only right way to fix it would be to remove the coating, remove the rust, and recoat. Sadly, with powdercoating, removing a small area and fixing the problem won't (usually) work well, so you're looking at redoing the whole thing.

I'm facing a similar issue with the Fab Fours bumpers I have on my truck. These are not cheap... you're talking $5K for the pair. While they aren't rusting, they are "chalking" - and the official answer from Fab Fours is "well, that's tough, you'll have to recoat." It's kinda soured me to powdercoated anything and to Fab Fours.

Somewhere down the line, when it pisses me off enough, I'll probably pull all of the emergency lighting off both, pull the bumpers off, and have both Line-Xed. Not the cheapest option, but something you might consider as well.

Registered
I think the best you can do short of grinding and recoating would be to use some rust converter on the spots. It will turn the rust black and may make it not so noticeable. Unfortunately anything you do now is just a band-aid as was mentioned.

Reactions: KaseySue

Registered
Wire wheel and a rattle can of black paint

But seriously, i thought of getting my 4Runners winch bumper powder coated and I am glad I didn鈥檛 because now i can just touch it up as needed with a rattle can.

I did have my Jeep鈥檚 bumper rhino lined and that was pretty stout. Held up for years without issue.

Reactions: KaseySue

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@snakebitten @GearHead_1

Sorry for the delay! It snowed like crazy where I am at and I was not ready馃槀
Here are some pictures of what I'm seeing. I would like to handle it before it gets worse....

I definitely do not want to have to grind or re-coat just for these little baby spots.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you go the route DNA Dan suggested, I recommend Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I've had good luck using it on anything from floorpans to patio furniture. It's not a permanent cure, but you should easily get a few years out of it.
This looks doable! But am I setting myself up for a bumper replacement later with a bandaid solution? 馃槶
I really did not expect rust with the powder coating! Grrrrrr I appreciate your input!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wire wheel and a rattle can of black paint

But seriously, i thought of getting my 4Runners winch bumper powder coated and I am glad I didn鈥檛 because now i can just touch it up as needed with a rattle can.

I did have my Jeep鈥檚 bumper rhino lined and that was pretty stout. Held up for years without issue.
What a battle... LOL take off the bumper rhino line it.. stick it back on and hope for the best? LOL UHG
Thank you for responding!

Registered
Powder coating sucks for anything in a salt environment as all it takes is one little chip to start the process and let moisture under it.

My rear bumper has done the same. I just spray the rusty spots with black fluid film and well so what.

I live in a salty area. Nothing you do is going to save it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Powder coating sucks for anything in a salt environment as all it takes is one little chip to start the process and let moisture under it.

My rear bumper has done the same. I just spray the rusty spots with black fluid film and well so what.

I live in a salty area. Nothing you do is going to save it.
Lol all hope is lost huh

Registered
Yep, that's done. And, since the rust is occurring under the powdercoat, even if you hose it down with rust converter or paint, the process will continue. Without removing the coating, you can't physically reach the places that are being oxidized. You will continue to lose metal until you apply a definitive solution (namely - blast it to remove the coating and the rust, then recoat).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, that's done. And, since the rust is occurring under the powdercoat, even if you hose it down with rust converter or paint, the process will continue. Without removing the coating, you can't physically reach the places that are being oxidized. You will continue to lose metal until you apply a definitive solution (namely - blast it to remove the coating and the rust, then recoat).
Darkness.... I wonder if I can dispute this with the company I bought the bumper from. I have only had it for a little over a year. American Trucks is who I bought it from... Hmmm

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.