F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those towing RVs, has anybody upgraded the factory speakers. I have 4 (6.5" I think) ceiling mounted speakers with a Genesis system in my Puma TT. Seems pretty common. I'm wanting to replace the factory speakers because...well they pretty much suck. I'm worried a little about mounting depth. Any experiences you'd be willing to share before I start tearing into my ceiling? I thought this would be a common upgrade but can't find much info out there.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
If you are not in a rush, the best thing to do is to just start tearing it open to see what components they used. If the speakers appear to be the same, pull one and take some measurements, don't think depth will be an issue if thy are ceiling speakers, most RV's have their duct work for the AC up there so you have a little room. Also, most rv's, not only are the speakers bad, but the source is bad also, speakers alone won't solve much without upgrading the signal. And campers are built cheap and thin, acoustics suck in them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Didn't even bother with mine. Just got an inexpensive tower speaker that we hook up to the RV and phone via bluetooth. Don't spend much time inside, only outside listening to music at night.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was raining my last trip and it was c-o-l-d. No cable so I listened to a lot of music. I've carried my Beatbox before but seemed like I was constantly moving it from front to back of the trailer. Not looking for anything amazing. Just a cheap upgrade that sounds better than the crapo stock speakers. I can rough it a little.

Thinking about these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KN2TEY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003KN2TF8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03YDYN2DCC8Z5YCG9TQ4

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the sound difference worth the money? Did you have to cut the hole out more?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It was raining my last trip and it was c-o-l-d. No cable so I listened to a lot of music. I've carried my Beatbox before but seemed like I was constantly moving it from front to back of the trailer. Not looking for anything amazing. Just a cheap upgrade that sounds better than the crapo stock speakers. I can rough it a little.

Thinking about these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KN2TEY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003KN2TF8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03YDYN2DCC8Z5YCG9TQ4
The JBL's should sound really nice. I've got a pair of GTO939's and they are amazing. See if you can find some 629's as well. I've heard them and they sound great also. Double check the ohms rating on Crutchfield to be sure - you want to be as low as possible. I think the JBL's are all 2 or 3 ohm.

Is it summer yet?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Picked up a couple sets of Rockford Fosgate R16's for $65 delivered. Now if I can only find time to get it out of storage and install. Real tempted to buy a small amp, too.

Rockford Fosgate R16 6" 80W 2-Way Prime Series Car Speakers at Onlinecarstereo.com

I'll let you know how it turns out.

EDIT: Just an FYI but please do not buy anything from onlinecarstereo. They've stuck me with a bogus tracking number and customer service has not replied to my inquiries. Over two weeks since I ordered, no speakers and no explanations.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Unbelievable. Contacted Onlinecarstereo.com's Customer Service 4 times and was told that my speakers had shipped on March 30th and repeatedly told to wait for UPS to update their information, that the speakers had been turned over to the carrier. I finally demanded a refund.

The reason put on the cancellation by onlinecarstereo.com: OUT OF STOCK

:mad:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If you are not in a rush, the best thing to do is to just start tearing it open to see what components they used. If the speakers appear to be the same, pull one and take some measurements, don't think depth will be an issue if thy are ceiling speakers, most RV's have their duct work for the AC up there so you have a little room. Also, most rv's, not only are the speakers bad, but the source is bad also, speakers alone won't solve much without upgrading the signal. And campers are built cheap and thin, acoustics suck in them.
This ^^^^^

Looking at the specs of the radio, 7 Channel with 50 RMS Watts TOTAL is not going to sound Great with just upgrading the speakers. Don't get me wrong, speakers will help but I would look at adding an amp too.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about a Precision Power Phantom P900.5? Installed it a week and a half ago, along with a 12" RE Audio subwoofer. Now if I could only get some stinkin' coaxials delivered......

crying_baby.jpg

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Installed some Infinity 6.5's today. Can you say overkill??? The system sounds really good but too much vibrates when you crank it. The imaging sucks too, as expected. The 6.5s were smaller than stock. If you have the concertone/genesis system, oversized 6.5s would be ideal. Overall, HUGE improvement. No regrets.

PPI 900.5
IMG_20150501_125926365.jpg

With factory grilles.

IMG_20150501_113332606.jpg
IMG_20150501_112905703.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
Samson
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing