F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Well it's been a few weeks since I installed my RX monster catch can with clean side separator. I wanted to give my overall impressions of this product from all aspects. I wanted to eliminate the fuel in oil dilution along with the gunk buildup in my CAC. After endless research I concluded that the RX kit was the best out there. I was however a little weary after reading endless threads about incomplete kits shipping/missing parts but I figured they had it sorted out buy then.

Purchase.
I purchased this through boosted when he was on the ssi forum. Paid $450. It took almost between 3-4 weeks to receive it. Weather that was RX taking that long or his ssi mess, I'm not sure. Either way I received what I thought was everything I needed.
Auto part Technology Cable Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Turns out I was missing the AN fittings for the can. Guess they still had issues. Ugh. Called RX and they were very apologetic and I had the fittings in the mail in 2-3 days.

Install.
This does not come with directions. They have some on their website which was helpful but I found that surfing the forums for pictures was the best.
The fist snag I ran into was that the holes needed to be drilled in the intake tubes were a lot bigger than 1/2". The biggest bit I had was 1/2" so I had to wobble it out. Another problem I have with this kit is the fact they give you 5/8" hose and most of the fittings are 1/2". Most of the connections were loose and require clamps. The kit came with 5 small clamps, not sure what for but I went to the store and bought clamps for everything. Here's some pics of it all installed. Look in this first picture, there's 8 small clamps that were needed.
Pipe Fuel line Auto part Engine Automotive fuel system
Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Car
Grille Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Family car
Engine Auto part Vehicle Fuel line Car
Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Car
Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Carburetor
Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

I did then end up having a problem with one of the hoses coming off the can wanting to kink.
Auto part

The left one off the can which goes to the intake tubes. I cut it down some and repositioned how it comes through.
Auto part Engine Exhaust manifold Vehicle Fuel line
Motor vehicle Radiator Engine Vehicle Auto part

So far so good.

My compaints and suggestions.
This system, the way it ships is kind of a cluster to be honest. look at all the extra parts and hoses that shipped with it that I didn't use?
Cable Wire Technology Electronic device Hose

Maybe me clamping everything was a little overkill but with all these 5/8 hose on 1/2 fittings, more than 5 clamps should have came with it! If I'm paying over $400 for a kit like this it should have clamps for everything and some epoxy for the intake tube fittings would be nice. Also the hoses could be cut to length to make the install more straight forward rather than guessing how to cut the 2 random pieces of hose.

My praise.
Even with some of those headaches, this kit is amazing. This was what was caught after my first 100 miles.
Drink Auto part Vehicle

I would definitely buy this kit again as I believe it is the best solution for our trucks. I think RX has packaging issues that need sorted out but overall I am happy with the kit. Maybe this will help other people and/or RX to make this kit even better for future customers.
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I've heard they got their act together as far as shipping with all the correct parts. My kit was missing a few fitting but I had them sent to me right away after only 1 email to them. Great product and great service. Glad to see you got it figured out and working like it should.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I've heard they got their act together as far as shipping with all the correct parts. My kit was missing a few fitting but I had them sent to me right away after only 1 email to them. Great product and great service. Glad to see you got it figured out and working like it should.
I heard that too before I purchased mine but that wasn't the case for me. Yes they have excellent customer service. My issue is the fact that I'm paying $450 for a catch can kit, it needs to come with ALL parts needed and ONLY the parts needed, the FIRST time. It's almost like people just take a handful of stuff and throw it in bags/boxes.

Reactions: strawhatshinobi
Discussion starter · #5 ·
You want to put the shink wrap on the check valve fittings.
What shrink wrap? And can you elaborate more?

RX catch can. My install, review, complaints, suggestions, and praise with pi...

We are in the process of making some changes to the kits and updating the installation instructions. Turn around time is 3-4 weeks as each can is custom painted to order and demand for the catch cans is very high. Sorry you had issues with the installation. We are working hard to resolve any further issues anyone may have. If you need any further assistance please contact me and I will help you.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
We are in the process of making some changes to the kits and updating the installation instructions. Turn around time is 3-4 weeks as each can is custom painted to order and demand for the catch cans is very high. Sorry you had issues with the installation. We are working hard to resolve any further issues anyone may have. If you need any further assistance please contact me and I will help you.
Do you work for RX now?

RX catch can. My install, review, complaints, suggestions, and praise with pi...

The shrink wrap is in the pic CM posted with the hoses in the box. It is the two 6" light grey pieces at the top of the box. Those go around the check valves to seal them properly. You do not use the hose clamps on the check valves you use the shrink wrap.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
The shrink wrap is in the pic CM posted with the hoses in the box. It is the 2 6" light grey pieces. Those go around the check valves to seal them properly. You do not use the hose clamps on the check valves you use the shrink wrap.
Humm. Ok. That would have been a great thing to be included in the instructions. What's wrong with hose clamps and why shrink tube?

Reactions: Bfazona

Only thing that will be changing is using threaded barbs vs the push barbs and some different reducers so you can use all the factory fittings. And new instruction, clearer instructions. Installation is the same.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Nothing is wrong with the clamps. You just run the risk of over tightening them and possibly crushing the check valve making them inoperable.
Ahh ok. I might pull them out tomorrow and make sure that they're ok. So how does that shrink tube work? Slip it over and apply heat?

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Heat shrink is the **** for making wiring and hosing installs look clean
I understand the concept of using heat shrink in electrical applications as I have before. I wish it was explained in the instructions for this kit. Today is the first I've heard of it in all my research.

It amazes me how many people get extra parts and missing parts including myself. Really disappointed in that aspect of the product.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Jesus....I want a catch can but there is NO way I can do this install. Just reading it/looking at pics I'm confused haha. Any of you Louisiana fellas want to help me?? haha

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.