F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to the local dyno to compare to see which tune was better on the dyno. I was using a dynojet dyno all pulls were on 87 octane two pulls per tune with a 20 min cool down between reflashing tunes. my truck is a 2013 with 1400 miles and 3.55 gears I did 4th gear pulls and shutting it down at 5000 rpm at around 115mph. runs 6 and 7 are the 5 star runs 8 and 9 are the stock tune runs and last are 10 and 11 which are the SCT 87 Canned tunes. also my truck has a afe 4 inch catback and airaid intake for all of these pulls. and it looks like 5 star won by anout 15 hp and 10 ft lbs pf torque. just felt like putting this info out there an independent review enjoy! sorry about the small picks just zoom in aanf you can see them better. Text Line Technical drawing Diagram Parallel Text Line Font Diagram Parallel Text Line Design Font Parallel

·
Registered
537 Posts
Took me awhile to figure out which was which, but then my eyes are old and print is extra small. Now just to be on the right number here, this is rear wheel HP/TQ numbers?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow! Thanks bro for sharing... I have really been looking hard at 5 star, SCT, and liv'n tuners.... All I think are impressive this really helped.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good stuff! I am going in a few weeks to get my truck custom dyno tuned. Using a dynojet dyno as well. I have similar mods as you.It's nice to see what i will be looking at. Couple questions though, Do you know what the boost thresh hold was on these pulls? Also what elevation were you at when you did this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FX4 fun:

16 lbs was peak boost it held through out the rpm range on the sct and 5 star tunes stock was around 12 lbs may have my data logs still ill have to do some digging. elevation was about 30 feet above sea level I live in lafayette la. sorry for the late reply

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dyno time cost money. I had 87 in the tank at the time. I would love to compare the 93 tunes vs 87. I've run the truck with the 93 performance tune from 5star and i can tell you boost psi is the same but the timing is advanced a good bit more vs the 5star 87 93 tunes runs damn good! i ran a 13.9 @99mph with the 87 SCT canned tune with exhaust and intake. Reason i dynoed 87 tunes is that i run 87 majority of the time. if anyone wants to donate money so i can dyno the 93 tune or make a check payable to Ragin Racin id be happy the see the maximum potential of my truck. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know I am bumping a 3 year old thread, but I think, for forum newbies like me, it's a nice write up, with backup, on the 87 octane I am going to be running most of the time.

Thanks for taking the time to post everything, I'm not seeing the dyno runs from other people. I found this on a google search. It didn't come up on a similar search here.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Product

Reactions: MCDavis

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good bump in my opinion! Thanks.

While I would LOVE to run a 93 tune all day long, I have to be sensible and realize that in stock form this truck is 100% adequate and that a 87 or 89 custom tune will certainly get the job done. I've loaded the 87 canned tune for the time being, and will soon be reaching out to Erick for his work on 89 octane. Nice bump in power, safe, reliable and still a bit of fun.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
5 Star doesn't offer a 87 performance tune as far as I know. So that had to have been their tow tune compared to the sct canned tune. Just to give you an idea since the tow tunes have less power.

Reactions: MCDavis

·
Registered
115 Posts
5 Star doesn't offer a 87 performance tune as far as I know. So that had to have been their tow tune compared to the sct canned tune. Just to give you an idea since the tow tunes have less power.
According to SCT, their canned tunes are "performance/tow tunes" also.

Per their email to me this month.

·
Registered
358 Posts
On my SCT x4 there are separate options for Towing and Performance. I'm using the 93 Perf canned. Damn happy with it. As a side note, even at WOT my AFR stays around 12, so plenty rich.

·
Registered
940 Posts
On my SCT x4 there are separate options for Towing and Performance. I'm using the 93 Perf canned. Damn happy with it. As a side note, even at WOT my AFR stays around 15, so plenty rich.
I hope you don't mean 15. Because that would be dangerously lean. Target AFR should be 11.0-11.8 @ WOT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts