F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a used BDX. Updated it, cleaned the map sensors and tightened up the plugs to .028. Loaded what I think is the 91 octane tune. There really wasn't a choice, I just changed the octane to 91 in the parameter that you could change. Went for a drive and noticed the shift to 1st was more firm. And that's the only difference I noticed. Power didn't change. Throttle response didn't change. Anyone else have this happen? It came from 5star by the logo on the back and it appears to have a compatible custom tune available for my truck from a previous owner. Says 87 perf/tow. Would a tuner take the canned tunes off and only load their custom? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The custom tune on the device will not load.

A tuner can block off the canned tunes with how they load a tune. Simply factory resetting the Device removes the custom tune and makes the preloads available again.

You should have multiple octanes to choose from. 87,91,93

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I watched a YouTube on how to program it. It showed the screen with the preloaded tunes and the only option was 3.5L Ecoboost. I could change octane, shift points, tire size, gear ratio etc... in the next screen. Is that where I change the tune? It did pair and program, but there just wasn't a power difference. I'll do a factory reset and see if the screen changes at all.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes that’s exactly the spot to change the octane. Usually you just change the octane. If need be you can change tire size and axle ratio. Otherwise leave everything as it is.

Very odd that the custom tune loaded. I would definitely load one of the canned tunes as the custom was made for another truck.

Make sure you return to stock, then device reset. That will remove the custom tune and open the preload option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would not load the custom tune. Gave me an error. The canned tune loaded. Despite running the 91 octane, it is still only running 12lbs according to Torque. I figured it would run more boost. Like I say, it didn't feel any quicker.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The canned tunes on my Livewire TS are definitely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a wired update, and that seemed to load the correct tune. Still unremarkable to me. Maybe I just had higher expectations from what I was reading online. It hits 19-20 down low but then drops down to 12 pretty quick and 8 by redline. Doesn't seem to pull much harder mid to top. It feels stronger from a stoplight. I'm wondering if there's something up with the wastegates.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I loaded the KR in torque today and under moderate throttle it stays around -2-0. WOT it stays at 0 until after 4500, then it ramped up quickly to 4.5 before I let out. My next question is, why is it pinging? I used the desired boost next to boost and the desired was a couple pounds lower than actual. Makes me think it's running lean and causing knock up top. Maybe that desired boost only works properly on the electric wastegates? I have a 12 with pneumatic. Anyone have any insight? This is on the newest update for the 91 canned SCT tune. All stock except a filter. I will be getting setup to run a real datalog tonight. It's also hitting 2300 rail pressure so I believe there is plenty of fuel available. Could it be false knock? Faulty knock sensor?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
It's more your fuel quality and the tune itself. These engines are prone to triggering the KR, especially at part throttle between 0-5psi boost.

In WOT, if you are get KR at higher rpms, that makes me think fuel quality (add some E85 and make an E20 mixture if you can) and the tune is a bit too aggressive for your fuel in WOT.

Truthfully, most guys don't bother with the canned tunes ... they are a bit too generic.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
859 Posts
I went through the tune thing myself not long ago. Canned tunes are ok. Mostly does the good work on the shifts. Personally I grabbed a BCB tune, and been happy ever since. I didnt want to mess with different octane tunes, and BCB has variable supposedly.

As for your knock sensor being bad, you better eliminate all the other stuff first. I've done that job, and it's not a fun one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts