F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Been looking into a new tuning device because my old Livewire is acting up. Not allowing me to change tunes and finally corrupted my stock file. I got to spend about 5 hours with SCT and they got it back up and running. But after doing some research and seeing the 11-13 trucks (3.5) don't have GTX support I am looking at the ngauge. I have read a few people online say that HPTuners has better access and control of the ECU than SCT software currently does.

Does anyone have any experience proving or disproving this?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
303 Posts
You should get neither. You should buy the HP tuners mpvi2 and use a laptop.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should get neither. You should buy the HP tuners mpvi2 and use a laptop.

I was looking into that as well. My problem is I have a Dell XPS15 and the cooling is so anemic it throttles the PC due to over temp and bluescreens in about 5 minutes. POS laptop lol. I wanted to stay away from a laptop because I already shelled out way too much on that turd. But fundamentally would the HPtuners even with the Ngauge have more of a reach than SCT?

·
Registered
303 Posts
The problem is data logging n gauge and even some of the SCT devices really suck at data log so if you're just going to go with some off-the-shelf tune from a vendor not that big of a deal but if you want to truly custom to you really need to have the data logging ability of the mpvi2 with a laptop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use a GTX as a tuner for my 2014. Yes it isnt supported by SCT for the model year, but it will work fine for a tuner and data logging. I have Unleashed, BCB and Gearhead tunes loaded in it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
More pids than the Ngauge?

Ummmmm Oil Temperature?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
N gauge is missing a lot of things that are used for custome tuning, sources, tip limits, mapped point weights, etc requirements, soi, eoi, etc.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use a GTX as a tuner for my 2014. Yes it isnt supported by SCT for the model year, but it will work fine for a tuner and data logging. I have Unleashed, BCB and Gearhead tunes loaded in it.
So the GTX Works for the 3.5? SCT said they do not support that engine. I know the BDX works.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
You'll be perfectly fine with an "off the shelf" tuning device.

After using sct products and going to an Ngauge I've been very happy with the Ngauge, easy to update, add files, drag and drop, datalogging is stupid easy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
You'll be perfectly fine with an "off the shelf" tuning device.

After using sct products and going to an Ngauge I've been very happy with the Ngauge, easy to update, add files, drag and drop, datalogging is stupid easy.

As far as I know there's only one or two companies that don't tune with HP ngauge, and one of them is SSI, and I believe that's because Shawn Ellis has been blackballed from them, could be wrong on that part but that's the word Through the Grapevine anyways

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Mpvi2 is great and all but no one but zfg will tune with it (currently)

All of the ecoboost tuners besides zfg is afraid you will steal their tuning data.

ngauge scrambles your strategy code to prevent this.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mpvi2 is great and all but no one but zfg will tune with it (currently)

All of the ecoboost tuners besides zfg is afraid you will steal their tuning data.

ngauge scrambles your strategy code to prevent this.
Not true bcb unleashed and a handful of others will.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Not true bcb unleashed and a handful of others will.

That is good news for the community

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
The problem with using a Laptop, many States & Provinces are now banning electronic devices, such as computers while driving and will issue you a ticket for it for "distracted driving". They do now in our Province.

In fact, there was a person on the news who had a cell phone (not turned on) in their cup holder and they were issued a distracting driving ticket. That is how anal it has become.

I have a Livewire, which I primarily use to monitor my engine while driving, and I have been told "it's a gray area, and a policeman could issue me a ticket which I would have to fight in court".

If your State or Province isn't that anal about distracted driving, then I would consider a Laptop ... though I still would like something (like my Livewire) to monitor my engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts