F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Boosters,

I recently purchased a used unmarried SCT X4, and I am excited/nervous about finally loading a tune. First and foremost, I plan on running the CANNED 93 performance tune. Before anyone tells me, just understand that I will custom tune with either MPT, Unleashed, or LET when I have more disposable income probably for Christmas.

I just need some help to prepare my truck for the tune. I only run 93 octane in my truck.

1. Should I change out the original spark plugs (35k on them) and gap the new ones to .030 OR .028?

2. What kind of gains should I expect running the 93 canned tune?

3. How long after loading the tune should the computer "learn" the tune? 50 miles? 100 miles?

4. What vehicles will I be able to compete with speed wise?

5. Can I ever touch the TOW/HAUL button after loading the performance tune?

6. Is there anything you wish someone would have told you about running a canned tune?

7. I plan on getting a 170 t-stat for my birthday in December, is that something that I should add sooner?

Thanks everyone! This community has always been a huge help! I appreciate everyone's input and I am continually awed by the collective knowledge found here!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good morning Boosters,

I recently purchased a used unmarried SCT X4, and I am excited/nervous about finally loading a tune. First and foremost, I plan on running the CANNED 93 performance tune. Before anyone tells me, just understand that I will custom tune with either MPT, Unleashed, or LET when I have more disposable income probably for Christmas.

I just need some help to prepare my truck for the tune. I only run 93 octane in my truck.

1. Should I change out the original spark plugs (35k on them) and gap the new ones to .030 OR .028?
If your current spark plugs still look good, I would just regap them to .028 if you have a limited budget.

I think I saw somewhere that 93 canned tune added about 55hp and 75lb-ft tq.

3. How long after loading the tune should the computer "learn" the tune? 50 miles? 100 miles?
I've heard that it could take something like 250 miles to learn completely. However, I think it's more important to just let the truck sit idle with no accessories on for about 15 minutes so that the throttle body position can relearn itself. Everytime you go to install a tune (brand new one, or one you previously had), SCT resets the keep alive memory (KAM), and everything has to be relearned. Prior to doing this, I've always had some weird behavior with the truck (stock or canned or custom tune) like hesitation or clunky shifting. Now that I let the truck idle for a bit before driving off, I get none of the weird behavior.

Not that I condone street racing, but from the random youtube videos I've seen and personal experience, you can definitely hang with 6.2l ford and chevy, ram hemi, and some of the smaller sports cars like 4.6 mustangs, 5.7 camaros, and maybe a 350z/G35.

I don't see why not. Tow/haul mode just changes the shift strategy of the transmission.

6. Is there anything you wish someone would have told you about running a canned tune?
None really, but custom tunes really are better.

7. I plan on getting a 170 t-stat for my birthday in December, is that something that I should add sooner?
I can't comment on the use of a lower tstat. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Thanks everyone! This community has always been a huge help! I appreciate everyone's input and I am continually awed by the collective knowledge found here!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good morning Boosters,

If your current spark plugs still look good, I would just regap them to .028 if you have a limited budget.

I think I saw somewhere that 93 canned tune added about 55hp and 75lb-ft tq.

I've heard that it could take something like 250 miles to learn completely. However, I think it's more important to just let the truck sit idle with no accessories on for about 15 minutes so that the throttle body position can relearn itself. Everytime you go to install a tune (brand new one, or one you previously had), SCT resets the keep alive memory (KAM), and everything has to be relearned. Prior to doing this, I've always had some weird behavior with the truck (stock or canned or custom tune) like hesitation or clunky shifting. Now that I let the truck idle for a bit before driving off, I get none of the weird behavior.

Not that I condone street racing, but from the random youtube videos I've seen and personal experience, you can definitely hang with 6.2l ford and chevy, ram hemi, and some of the smaller sports cars like 4.6 mustangs, 5.7 camaros, and maybe a 350z/G35.

I don't see why not. Tow/haul mode just changes the shift strategy of the transmission.

None really, but custom tunes really are better.

I can't comment on the use of a lower tstat. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Thanks, bud! I see that you're in Houston! I'm from Brownsville, TX. I'll be moving back this summer!

·
Registered
940 Posts
the most important thing is to datalog the truck after you have uploaded the tune. You want to make sure it is safe. You want the knock as close to zero as possible. You can post an image of your log, and we can help you out.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the most important thing is to datalog the truck after you have uploaded the tune. You want to make sure it is safe. You want the knock as close to zero as possible. You can post an image of your log, and we can help you out.
Can that be done on the X4 alone?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
& please tell us how to catalog a canned tune?

When he purchases a custom tune, the tuner will give him instructions.

Sent from my iPad Air using The app

·
Registered
940 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not to high jack the thread. But does the never versions of the SCT tunes fix the harsh 1-2 shift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
My tuner Torrie at Unleashed was able to fix this for me on his "91 Octane Performance" tune...took a couple of tweaks though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered my Motorcraft spark plugs and replacement boots on Amazon. Luckily I had a $25 amazon gift card from work. Saturday should be fun!

How long might this process take? My brother in law is helping me and he is a big gear head. We need to changing the plugs, boots and install the tune.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ordered my Motorcraft spark plugs and replacement boots on Amazon. Luckily I had a $25 amazon gift card from work. Saturday should be fun!

How long might this process take? My brother in law is helping me and he is a big gear head. We need to changing the plugs, boots and install the tune.
Plugs should be simple. Pop off the engine cover and the plugs are right there. Gap them to .028

If you run a 91 tune, make sure your tank is 100% 91 octane, not a mix.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plugs should be simple. Pop off the engine cover and the plugs are right there. Gap them to .028

If you run a 91 tune, make sure your tank is 100% 91 octane, not a mix.

I plan on running the 93 octane tune since that's all I have put in my truck since I rolled 1k. I was in Texas when I purchased it and now I'm in Detroit metro (hopefully not much longer) and both states have 93 everywhere.

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
I plan on running the 93 octane tune since that's all I have put in my truck since I rolled 1k. I was in Texas when I purchased it and now I'm in Detroit metro (hopefully not much longer) and both states have 93 everywhere.
Just be careful on road trips or any longer distances. 93 octane is NOT available in about half of the country and I know of a few areas, here in Texas, that do not offer 93. If you ever find yourself needing gas and 91 is the highest that is available then your 93 tune is going to let you know REAL QUICK that it doesn't like it. ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just be careful on road trips or any longer distances. 93 octane is NOT available in about half of the country and I know of a few areas, here in Texas, that do not offer 93. If you ever find yourself needing gas and 91 is the highest that is available then your 93 tune is going to let you know REAL QUICK that it doesn't like it. ;)
I think when the "potential" move back to Texas happens I'll just tune it down to the 89 octane or maybe even stock.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the 93 tune will probably have high boost. make sure you learn how to datalog, before you go racing around .... lol

Crap, ok explain to me how data logging would help with canned tune.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Crap, ok explain to me how data logging would help with canned tune.
you can't install ANY type of tune and assume everything is fine. Every truck will react differently. You need to datalog and look at the parameters. Two important factors would be AFR (air to fuel ratio) at wide open throttle, and knock value. You should log a few WOT runs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts