F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO ALL, i need some opinions in a bad way. As i said i have had the truck for 2 weeks... over the past few years while seeing trucks on the road i said to myself i like those ecoboosts but do not like the plate off to the side. So i decided if i ever got one i would put a second plate on the passenger side. I know i seen this somewhere and kinda liked it. This was when i was told YOU CANT cover the intercooler hole under no circumstances (so out with the traditional plate idea)...I have noticed alot of you dont like badging/etc. but i do. I called the local ford garage shortly after i got my truck (also some research online). I explained i wanted a bracket to put on the passenger side and they ordered me one. So i got the pad off (breaking one of the clips) but there was no way it was going to fit. So i called back and he ordered a different type. Went to pick it up yesterday and he said before he even handed it to me that this doesn't look right either, but i said i would try it and bring it back if not. I haven't had time time to try it but i have my doubts. He said Ford used to make one but i have read elsewhere they never did. I found one truck online that wanted to do the same thing but ran into the same problem. He screwed it into the pad, and it looks good. My thing is i cant imagine we are the only 2 people in the world that wanted to do this! Keep in mind my state does not require a plate on the front but i wanted to put a WVU/Steeler plate on (im from the northeast)..

Sorry for the rambling, but can anyone anywhere give me opinion/experience on this. I really want to resolve this, its obviously not important and cosmetic, but its important to me :)
THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Administrator
4,073 Posts
The bumper pads are factory molded to the contours of the bumper and Ford only produced one specifically for the license plate, to be mounted on the driver's side (as you have already found out).
My suggestion would be to remove the factory plate mount and put the normal bumper pad there so you have matching pads on the right and left sides of the CAC opening. Then mount your plates directly to the pads so that everything matches and looks uniform. ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I tried the same and bought another LP pad to incorporate on the pass side...didn't work. I then tried to find a drivers side bumper pad that they use for the 5.slows and could not find the part number to order, so I gave up. I am purchasing a winch bumper anyway.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Wait, so your state doesn't require a front plate and you want 2?!? My brain is hurting to try and understand... lol. To each is own!
bingo! remove the OEM plate, replace the plate mount with a bumper pad from a truck with no front license plate and count your lucky stars that you don't have to mount a plate up front.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL i know each is own... i am glad we dont have to have a state plate on the front but i always like having a plate (sports team etc) on the front and i thought this will def make my truck different. Thanks for your insight, if anyone else has a different solution please post... i am taking all under consideration. Thanks !

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
13th Gen V8 with 12th Gen style

transmitted via iPhone 7 in Jet Black using Tapatalk the app

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have another question regarding cosmetics. The ECOBOOST emblems on the door look like they have a plastic film on them ???? If so can it peeled off to look like true chrome. As I have said mine is a '12 in near new condition but U can tell the emblems are turning or the plastic is coming off ????? Thanks

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
No it looks like brushed alum under it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, thanks for the reply. So there is a plastic coating on them? i can try to peel it off? to make it look better? Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok gang I got it done. It's not as I planned but it looks good I think. The other frame from ford didn't work. So I took UR advice and mounted it on the pad. The pad is wired on since one of the tits broke off last wknd. I still might just replace both pads on front as someone suggested but I wanted to see how it went first. To the naked eye U can't tell really that there's a plate frame on driver but not passenger side. I'll certainly be different lol. Honest opinions welcome

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Ok, I avoided posting in this thread cuz I didn't find the concept appealing.
But now with your pic I don't have to "imagine"

I like it!!!

I didn't expect to. You get to make your statement as a fan without the traditional bumper or window stickers. AND all while keeping a metal\chrome theme.

Truck jewelry, as someone else stated in another thread.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Like snake I didn’t think I’d like it but whilst not for me it does look good and you can’t tell it’s a pad vs plate. I think you need to put chrome trim across the bottom of the CAC slot to complete the look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your input on both sides. I like it and it's just the beginning, one thing at a time lol. Love the truck. Still can't believe the factory power n torque and I've owned and drove some pretty nasty v8's in my time. I like those boost bars. I am going to put that or something in the opening. The good thing about this license plate thing is I can easily get rid of it/put it back to the factory look... I heard new pads aren't expensive. If anyone wants to comment on it im all ears. Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
14 Participants
BrianSomething
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing