F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know there’s a few people that have been dealing with this and I’m sure there’s gonna be quite a few more people that will.
Here’s a couple videos of my before repair and after repair for the wastegate rattle. At first they did the new VCT phasers that were just released on the 13th and of course that didn’t do much but surprisingly it did quiet down the start up rattle a little bit. Next they replaced both turbos and that did the trick. I have since put about 500 miles on the truck and all is still good. The engine is actually so damn quiet now when it’s idling it’s hard to tell it’s on from about 10 feet away, my gas mileage has gone up as well strangely enough and I’ve been getting on it just as much as before.
You can’t still ever so slightly hear them but it’s not even remotely close to what it was before, And not at all when blipping the throttle

For anyone that’s tired of your truck sound like a old beater when starting up in the morning or leaving from stop signs this should work.

Before repair cold start:

After repair cold start:

It’s weird actually being able to hear my turbos now and the exhaust very clear when taking off from stops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
You don't know how happy I am FOR you.

Of all the inmates around here, you deserve a quieter truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Sirikenewtron ; Sorry to dig up a relatively old thread. My truck unbeknownst to me has the same sound on cold startup as your before video. I thought it was normal. It goes away after 1-2 minutes and then doesn’t come back until next cold start.

Is this something to worry about in regards to longevity of the turbos/engine? What was the actual diagnosis? I don’t feel like playing the dealer/can not replicate/it’s normal game. Don’t even let them change my oil.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Sirikenewtron ; Sorry to dig up a relatively old thread. My truck unbeknownst to me has the same sound on cold startup as your before video. I thought it was normal. It goes away after 1-2 minutes and then doesn’t come back until next cold start.

Is this something to worry about in regards to longevity of the turbos/engine? What was the actual diagnosis? I don’t feel like playing the dealer/can not replicate/it’s normal game. Don’t even let them change my oil.

I don’t know about long-term problems but I would assume if something is loose enough after a while excessive vibration could cause an issue but of course I have no idea.

The diagnosis for this was extreme wastegate rattle, Basically I could grab the wastegate arm actuator and lightly shake it with my hand and it sounded like someone shaking up a can of spray paint.

On a sidenote though myself and four other friends with the second generation 3.5 ecoboost have, the only way I can describe it, a very very slight rattling on cold start that seems to end at perfectly one minute. One of those friends had his timing chain phasers replaced recently and it still does that as well as mine does and did before the timing chain phasers repair. The sound is not the same sound that I had my Turbos replaced for though, that sound is completely gone after the repair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don’t know about long-term problems but I would assume if something is loose enough after a while excessive vibration could cause an issue but of course I have no idea.

The diagnosis for this was extreme wastegate rattle, Basically I could grab the wastegate arm actuator and lightly shake it with my hand and it sounded like someone shaking up a can of spray paint.

On a sidenote though myself and four other friends with the second generation 3.5 ecoboost have, the only way I can describe it, a very very slight rattling on cold start that seems to end at perfectly one minute. One of those friends had his timing chain phasers replaced recently and it still does that as well as mine does and did before the timing chain phasers repair. The sound is not the same sound that I had my Turbos replaced for though, that sound is completely gone after the repair.

Interesting. I don’t know what to think. My truck makes what seems to be an identical noise as your “before” video. Only for a minute like you said, then it’s gone. While it’s doing it, I can put my hand on the wastegate actuator arm and quiet it down. Never do I hear it while I’m in the cab, or while decelerating.

I thought it was totally normal for these 2nd gens (My first gen never rattled). But seeing as they actually replaced your turbos makes me weary. I only have 12k miles so I have some time to see if it gets worse I suppose.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I don’t know what to think. My truck makes what seems to be an identical noise as your “before” video. Only for a minute like you said, then it’s gone. While it’s doing it, I can put my hand on the wastegate actuator arm and quiet it down. Never do I hear it while I’m in the cab, or while decelerating.

I thought it was totally normal for these 2nd gens (My first gen never rattled). But seeing as they actually replaced your turbos makes me weary. I only have 12k miles so I have some time to see if it gets worse I suppose.

Yeah my 1st gen 3.5 and my 2017 2.7 never rattled either. This 19 was gnarly though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts