F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone that has used a Sherline Tongue Weight Scale compared the weight from the scale to the weight you get from weighing the TT and truck on a CAT Scale?

I used the Sherline today to get a loaded tongue weight, and it was a little lower than I expected. It was about 75 lbs lower than the dry wt. My TT is a rear kitchen and I'm thinking it's like a toy hauler with the center of gravity shifted forward to account the weight of the pots, pans, food etc. so when load the tongue wt. drops. I won't get the chance to weigh on a CAT scale for a while.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
These scales are most accurate in the middle of the gauge. They tend to lose weight at the higher end of the gauge. Rear Kitchen units are usually tongue light when loaded, so you are probably okay. Just remember that if you don't have at least 10-15% on the tongue you are gonna sway really bad.

SPPD

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to lose some tongue weight when it was loaded since it was on the heavy side unloaded. I weighed it first with the fresh water tank empty then with it full. With the tank full it dropped another 25 lbs. That brought it down to just over 10% on the tongue. I know I don't won't to go lower than that and would rather be about 11% so I'll have to be careful about how I load. At 13% I'm over my payload capacity on the truck. I love my truck but really wish I had gotten the Max Tow package. The extra 400-500 lbs of payload would have it a lot easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts