F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been asked.

But I'm looking to replace my shocks on the used F150 I just bought. I feel like the truck is a smooth ride until it hits a bad road, then I feel like this truck is going to fall apart.

I've had two Tacoma before this F150 and always lifted with new springs / AAL and Bilstein 5100 all around.

I don't know of if it just be easier to buy a loft kit with shocks included or to just price it together slowly.

Do you guys recommend anything in particular? Would 5100 do the trick? Also an added bonus that I'd like to get done is level the truck, but I don't know of if just replacing shocks will do that.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I made the 5100 switch. Nobody will like this, I think they're overrated and Meh. Maybe I'm not a suspension connoisseur. But there is a solid following around here, so send your hate mail to my inbox.
The 5100 have adjustable ride height in the front. If you put the retaining ring all the way down (or up..I don't remember), it will level it, so that's a plus. If I get a chance, I'll take a pic of mine (which is leveled w/5100 all around on factory size tires).

To answer your question, it probably depends on how high you want to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would agree with Justinjs, I got the non-adjustable version of 5100 (4600??), and they work great, but are a bit stiffer than stock. Wife complains its not as smooth. It kind of bothers me on rougher roads when things inside start shaking around. Next round will go back to stock I think. The Bilsteins are great, just not my style for how we use the truck.

·
Registered
2020 F-150 STX 4x4 Supercab
147 Posts
I’ll share in the hate mail. I put Bilstein 1500s on the rear of my 2020 f150. After a month I replaced them with the oem shocks. While they did a great job of tightening up the rear end on bumps, railroad tracks, dirt roads, etc, I couldn’t take the stiff jarring on every little bump.
I did like the more stable ride but the stiffness was too much.
Last month I installed a pair of Rancho xl9000s that are adjustable. They came set on setting #5, which was a might stiff. I dialed them down to a #2 and I’m quite content. They do a good job of tightening up the rear end without the jarring.
As noted, on this site the Bilstein shocks are king, and they do the job….depends on how stiff you want your ride.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
5100's are a solid upgrade on the F150. Mostly because the stock shocks are so bad.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I made the 5100 switch. Nobody will like this, I think they're overrated and Meh. Maybe I'm not a suspension connoisseur. But there is a solid following around here, so send your hate mail to my inbox.
The 5100 have adjustable ride height in the front. If you put the retaining ring all the way down (or up..I don't remember), it will level it, so that's a plus. If I get a chance, I'll take a pic of mine (which is leveled w/5100 all around on factory size tires).

To answer your question, it probably depends on how high you want to go.
They are $375 set of shocks. They are not world beaters, but the shock tuning on the F150 is so poor that you could fill a tube with cow manure and it would probably work better than what comes from the factory. So even a $375 set of 5100's can make a difference.

I bought mine because the rear axle of my truck hopped off a mid corner bump in the rain and almost sent me spinning into a barrier. Luckily the AdvanceTrac did its job, but the way the shocks handled the bump was completely unacceptable. The Bilsteins have completely cured that.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I did the 5100's but went the other way. I kept the standard height on the front shocks and removed the rear blocks to level it more. It's stiffer I'll give you that, but it's miles better than OEM. Unless the newer trucks have better shocks, mass is right IMO regarding the 2011-2014 generation. The OEM 2012 shocks on my truck were just a disaster at 60K. I'd imagine they only "feel" good for 10K or so, if that. I want a truck, not some 1970's bloated Cadillac.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I did the 5100's but went the other way. I kept the standard height on the front shocks and removed the rear blocks to level it more. It's stiffer I'll give you that, but it's miles better than OEM. Unless the newer trucks have better shocks, mass is right IMO regarding the 2011-2014 generation. The OEM 2012 shocks on my truck were just a disaster at 60K. I'd imagine they only "feel" good for 10K or so, if that. I want a truck, not some 1970's bloated Cadillac.
My coworkers had 2015 and 2016 F150's. Both Lariats, both supercrews. They came up and rode with me in Wyoming to visit customers and both made an unprompted comment about how my truck rode.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I had the opposite happen. The 5100s feel like cinder blocks are under the truck. The stock ones were 100k in so I replaced them with Bilstein. As much as everyone says how great they are and oe are awful, I wouldn't buy them as replacements again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My stock shocks were shot at 100k, the truck was a boat, and the back end wanted to hop away with the slightest change in pavement. Time to replace either way. The truck is glued to the ground now, and I like the way it corners. But I have to compare to my father in laws equivalent F150's, 2016 and 2020, very smooth ride, still sticks to the ground, the truck feels heavier though, like a caddy, if that makes sense... I would take that over the rougher ride, but ill leave my 4600's in for now. Next optional spend will be custom tunes.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Ride quality is subjective. We all have our preferences on what a "good ride" feels like. Some value controlled handling while other place more value on a soft supple ride. For me, controlled and predictable handling is what I value.

As for my experience with 5100s, I run them on all 4 corners (plus Eibach lift springs on the front struts for a true level). One of the most accurate comments I read about them was that you can "feel the imperfections of the road." They are stiffer on the initial hit of a bump, but recover much better after the bump since the OEM shocks rebound is non-existent. Body roll in the corners is decresed with the stiffer 5100s. Like others, I experienced the rear end on my 2018 wanting to step out on washboard roads. 5100s solved that for me and gave me the control and predictability I was seeking. I would 100% purchase again, but that's just me.

Your experiences may vary ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
This description is spot on, even for the 5100's little brother the 4600's. My only complain is the feel of all the little imperfections in the road. Stability and predictability is never a concern, they are 5/5 in that arena

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I wonder if part of the issue is the stock springs too. I bet a set of deavers would float while still being controlled with a good shock.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Personally I don't mind 5100 stiffness that much, like I said I had 5100s on two Tacomas when I lifted them.

I would absolutely prefer a smoother ride, but the way this truck hops around the road when hitting any imperfections and feels like any bump is going to shoot the tire thru the floor is just unacceptable for OEM shocks.

If there is a good in between for comfort and stability I'd be down. But I don't have the money for Kings or Fox.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The bilstein 6112 and 5180 are an option. I think that's the correct model number. Essentially a larger diameter body.
I don't remember anyone ever commenting having both and how they compare to one another

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sorry if this has already been asked.

But I'm looking to replace my shocks on the used F150 I just bought. I feel like the truck is a smooth ride until it hits a bad road, then I feel like this truck is going to fall apart.

I've had two Tacoma before this F150 and always lifted with new springs / AAL and Bilstein 5100 all around.

I don't know of if it just be easier to buy a loft kit with shocks included or to just price it together slowly.

Do you guys recommend anything in particular? Would 5100 do the trick? Also an added bonus that I'd like to get done is level the truck, but I don't know of if just replacing shocks will do that.
Leveled w/5100s
PXL_20210617_012453408.jpg

PXL_20210617_012521965.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
I couldn't wait to get rid of the OE shocks. I got the 5100s, lifted the nose and put 1" blocks in the rear. I put the 5100s on when I still had the OE Goodyear tires and the ride quality was a 100% improvement. Sadly, when I changed to the Falken tires the suspension response returned to near OE due to the increased tire weight. The "dancing rear over train tracks" problem is still much better than OE shocks however. I have hauled sand/firewood/stuff and no problems; also offroad performance is really decent (hunting club trails and such). Highway ride quality is much better as well; feel more connected to the road and the truck is more responsive compared to OE shocks. I would have preferred Fox shocks but the price was not in the cards for me.

·
Registered
2020 F150 3.5L Eco Screw 4x4 Max Tow Iconic Silver
46 Posts
I have the Fox Factory Series with DSCs on mine. Coilover remote resi in the front piggyback in the rear. Super happy with them. Just opened up the low speed adjuster for on road comfort. Medium setting on high speed adjuster for off-road shenanigans.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Interesting thread. I need to do shocks on mine, as I am pretty sure the factory shocks are still on it. While it still rides okay, it has some issues that scream shock replacement.

While it is true on this forum the 5100's are widely praised, I have used the Rancho adjustable models on several builds as well as the Fox setups on tube builds, both of which I really liked.

I am not a "band wagon" kind of guy, but I do respect the opinions of those in the know. I am not going to jump in just yet, but I am going to continue doing research and building a profile on what I want out of my truck.

Your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts