F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a new-to-me 2017 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 with the 3.5L Ecoboost, and really love it! The one thing I don't care for is the body roll in a corner. The last truck I bought was a new 1996 Ford F250 with the off-road and camper packages so it was a very tight suspension but rode like a buckboard. I had it for 23 years so after getting in this 2017 Lariat, it was like driving a car, not a truck.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with aftermarket, or factory shocks, or other mods that would help eliminate body roll in corners? And not lose too much of the nice ride? Suspension/shocks really need to be tightened up!
Thanks!

·
Registered
307 Posts
A rear sway bar will do more to fix that body roll than just rear shocks. I added a Helwig rear sway bar and KYB rear shocks, definitely reduced the amount of body roll.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ungrading the front factory sway bar to hellwig after adding the rear one will keep you planted in the corners.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
Lol. Yea, those SuperDuty's hold their shoulders up in a turn compared to the light duty Buicks.... Oops I mean F150's. (in all fairness, most of the ½ton OEM world)

I just read the previous responses and the combination of ALL of them will transform your fancy new ride into an amazing truck when turning. Both high speed turning and parking lot pace.

Bilsteins, rear sway bar, and front sway bar upgrade.

You don't HAVE to do all of it, of course, but you will agree that each addition adds another dose of the same medicine. :)

I've done all 3.
The family has a rather large fleet of F150's and I often ride/drive in different ones.
Mine is SO different in road manners and composure. Night and day

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
This will give you some idea as to the 5100’s. The truck I put these on was a 2018 Lariat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The rear sway bar blew me away at how much it helped. It also seems to help from braking/acceleration dive.
Now I need to look into the Bilstein 5100 as well!
Anyone mind elaborating on how much the front sway bar upgrade effected cornering?
Thanks!
Rob

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
I can indeed.

It's not subtle. Just like adding the rear sway was immediately noticeable, so is upgrading the factory front to the Helwig. You wouldn't think so by eyeballing it, because the increase in size is minor. But when you ponder the fact that the Helwig is not hollow, and it's that thick?

Honestly, it's not what most folks are looking for, but the best way to describe it is it injects a dose of go-cart into the truck. Much like I suspect lowering a truck might? It's kind of weird feeling because it feels like the truck is defying its center of gravity.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Anyone found replacement bushings for the hellwig rear sway bar? Guess I gotta call those folks cause I can't find them, even on their website. Greasable ones would be nice.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts