F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everybody. I just purchased a “new” 2012 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew XLT, it’s been a long time since I’ve had a vehicle with under a hundred miles on it. One accessory I’d like to add is tie downs for the top of the bed rails. The accessory department at my dealer tells me that the short bed on my truck wasn’t build to accept tie downs. While the plastic caps on the rails don’t have removable plugs to install the tie downs, I find it hard to believe there isn’t a solution. Please tell me somebody makes a nice, easily installable tie down kit.
Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is possible to put tiedowns on a 5.5ft bed. The top rails don't have the holes but the stake holes are underneath. You have to cut the holes open to access the stake holes. I purchased my 2012 used and someone had cut out the holes. I went on amazon and found some black textured plastic tiedowns with stainless steel pop up rings. I installed them in minutes and they look great and are very secure. I can send you the info on them and some pictures, if you would like.

I added some pictures so you can see what they look like. I noticed that the tiedowns would sink down a littl bit when they were tightened up due to the ribs on the underside of the rail caps. The ribs keep the caps spaced up off the bed rails. I had some rubber that was about 3/16" thick so I cut some pieces to put under the cap on all four sides of the stake hole in the cap. Now when the tiedowns are snugged up, they don't sink down at all. I was originally thinking about using pieces of paint sticks, but I had the rubber on hand, so I used that instead. I could remove one so you can see the jagged hole the previous owner cut if needed.
The tiedowns are very secure and work well. I used them for the first time today when strapping in a large tv box for the in-laws.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is possible to put tiedowns on a 5.5ft bed. The top rails don't have the holes but the stake holes are underneath. You have to cut the holes open to access the stake holes. I purchased my 2012 used and someone had cut out the holes. I went on amazon and found some black textured plastic tiedowns with stainless steel pop up rings. I installed them in minutes and they look great and are very secure. I can send you the info on them and some pictures, if you would like.
I would also be interested in pictures and information. I know it can be done, but was not sure if they would be that secure or if the plastic cap on the bed would begin to buckle during the hot summer months with the rails bolted on top of them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's what i went with. Installed a total of 6, they were $4 a piece with hardware and have a 1,400lb working capacity. WP_000107.jpg WP_000108.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mattwayne07, Your truck has the longer bed and the stake pocket caps on it. Was there a reason you opted to drill holes in the bed vs putting tiedowns in the stake holes?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
E.Peterson
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing