F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up people, thought I'd come here and ask around. I visit this forum all the time to read and learn about F150s, since I've been looking into getting one. I'm definitely a Ford guy, as I've had a couple that have both been bulletproof, and my parents have had a couple of Expeditions that are both great! Not to mention my local dealership is extremely helpful, friendly, and fair. Anyways, I've wanted to get behind the wheel of a sweet sweet Ecoboost for a while now, and I think the time to buy one for me is nearing, as I commute for work through a pretty gnarly canyon, and it really sucks in the wintertime, so the 4X4 would be great before this winter hits.

Anyhoo, I'm also currently trying to finish up school, so I'm not super loaded, meaning I'm looking at getting something between $17K and around $25K. In this price range, most of the Ecoboost F150s that I can find are fairly high-mileage, with the exception of the boring bare-bone ones. I'd prefer something a little cheaper so that I can use the extra money to do an intake, exhaust, lift, and wheels and tires. This means that I'd be limited to trucks with right around 100K miles, and to be honest I'm scared, which I why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Cars don't scare me as much, cause they are used for cruising, but trucks might have been seriously abused and worked hard in those 100K miles.

So here's the enlightenment I seek... Would anyone here recommend buying such a truck with 100K or close to it? Or has anyone here already done it, and if so, what's your experience been like? I trust the engine, and if I did buy it I would probably flush all fluids (transmission, differential, brake, maybe power steering), and install a catch can, even though here in Utah it's pretty dry. My biggest concern with the high mileage is the tranny, as I doubt most owners flush their fluid before 100K miles. Has anyone here gone a full 100,000 miles without flushing the tranny fluid?

Really any info from high mileage owners would be much appreciated! Hopefully I can soon be posting as a proud F150 owner! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Welcome. You are right, most people (the average owner) will not flush tranny till. Least 100k and a lot of those same people probably go with or close to the "ford recommend" 7-10k oil change.

I personally would never buy an ecoboost with close to 100k on it, If money was an issue I'd get the "bare bones" truck with lower miles.
To be fair I most likely wouldn't buy a 5.0 f150 with close to 100k mile either, but absolutely not the ecoboost.
Also might as well skip the catch can, at 100k miles what you run a can to avoid has already happened.

(Disclaimer)
Just my opinion

·
Administrator
9,714 Posts
In your price range you could get a nicer 5.0 with fewer miles than that. I'd certainly go that route myself. You could have a nice truck. Although I think you should be able to find a 'boost with fewer miles for 25k. If you don't know it's owner and its history, you are potentially buying a bag of foul smelling worms.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got an XLT 4X4 with 68K for $23K (boring bare bones model I guess). If you do some shopping around you should be able to find one with less miles under your budget. Personally I am good with an XLT, I spent $700 on a Pioneer touchscreen and if you want leather you can have the seats done for way less than what you are going to pay for a Lariat or higher. Just depends on what you want and if higher miles is worth the extra features.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Any used vehicle is a crap shoot. That is particularly true over 100K, but there is also no "golden" mileage limit. 70k, 80k, 90k, 140k makes no real difference. Someone already said knowing how the vehicle was treated is likely your best bet. I know people who buy new and sell at 45-60k without doing anything but a few oil changes. There is also NO guarantee that a 5.slow would be any better than an eco.

As for the tranny, I would just have the fluid changed when you buy whatever you buy. They trans fluid change is only recommended at 150K IIRC. Anything before that is up to you and the previous owner and would seem VERY unlikely. I only change mine because I tow. If I only drove to work and the grocery store I certainly wouldn't bother.

·
Banned
508 Posts
I would most definitely not recommend buying one. I would do what the others recommended and go with a high mile 5.0

·
Registered
3,534 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys, I'll probably look at something a little more simple with less miles, or maybe contemplate the 5.0. Overall I've heard pretty good things about that engine. The Ecoboost is obviously superior, but it's also more complicated. Originally I wanted the Ecoboost in part for the MPGs, but if I do lift it and put some tires on it, MPGs go out the window anyways.

I got an XLT 4X4 with 68K for $23K (boring bare bones model I guess). If you do some shopping around you should be able to find one with less miles under your budget. Personally I am good with an XLT, I spent $700 on a Pioneer touchscreen and if you want leather you can have the seats done for way less than what you are going to pay for a Lariat or higher. Just depends on what you want and if higher miles is worth the extra features.
I certainly don't mind an XLT, but I'd like some added options. Going from the Taurus with the Bluetooth, keypad entry, backup sensors, etc. to a steering wheel and pedals would be somewhat saddening. I guess I like my creature comforts. I don't really care about leather though. I like the heated seats, but it ages badly, makes my butt sweat, I slide all over, and it gets uber hot in the summer.

Or you could read for yourself. 30 something pages. I think the highest was 307K IIRC.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/13-f150-ecoboost-performance/3594-who-s-ecoboost-has-most-miles-mileage.html
I actually have come across that thread in the past. There's an Ecoboost F150 at a dealership nearby where I live that has 305K miles with original engine (I don't know about the tranny). I know they last long, you just gotta treat them right, and I worry that most owners don't do that.

·
Administrator
9,714 Posts
The thing is, the ecoboosts are EXTREMELY sensitive to poor oil quality or having oil change intervals that were too long. Some have some oil dilution issues. Couple that with poor oil or longer oil changes, and it's a disaster. If you don't know the history, I'd assume it wasn't cared for properly and move on.

This coming from a fella who loves his boost.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
The thing is, the ecoboosts are EXTREMELY sensitive to poor oil quality or having oil change intervals that were too long. Some have some oil dilution issues. Couple that with poor oil or longer oil changes, and it's a disaster. If you don't know the history, I'd assume it wasn't cared for properly and move on.

This coming from a fella who loves his boost.
And frankly, that is no different than any vehicle. If the owner didn't care to change the oil you could have a problem. Lots of owners pay every penny they have to own the right ride. That doesn't mean they take care of them. Lots of other owners are barely capable of caring to put gas in on a regular basis, much less oil and services.

Good point on the service history, but even a person that is diligent doesn't necessarily keep receipts for a long time. I do, but it really doesn't do me any good at trade/resale time anyway.

There are a couple handfuls of known blown ecos on here. Most of those were tuned. There have been about 3/4 of a million ecos sold. That is a pretty small percentage. If yours blew, it blows. No question about that no matter the situation tuned or not. But, that doesn't mean they all have issues beyond any other vehicle.

·
Administrator
9,714 Posts
And frankly, that is no different than any vehicle. If the owner didn't care to change the oil you could have a problem. Lots of owners pay every penny they have to own the right ride. That doesn't mean they take care of them. Lots of other owners are barely capable of caring to put gas in on a regular basis, much less oil and services.

Good point on the service history, but even a person that is diligent doesn't necessarily keep receipts for a long time. I do, but it really doesn't do me any good at trade/resale time anyway.

There are a couple handfuls of known blown ecos on here. Most of those were tuned. There have been about 3/4 of a million ecos sold. That is a pretty small percentage. If yours blew, it blows. No question about that no matter the situation tuned or not. But, that doesn't mean they all have issues beyond any other vehicle.
Well, yes and no. These seem to be particularly sensitive to extended oci. I have a 460 that has seen many many way too long intervals lol. With the oil dilution possibility (being direct injected) and the timing chain, I feel like these are more sensitive than a lot of other motors to proper service intervals.

But of course any used vehicle could have problems.

But, for example, if I was buying a 7.3 powerstroke with many miles I wouldn't be as paranoid about the servicing it had had.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Well, yes and no. These seem to be particularly sensitive to extended oci. I have a 460 that has seen many many way too long intervals lol. With the oil dilution possibility (being direct injected) and the timing chain, I feel like these are more sensitive than a lot of other motors to proper service intervals.

But of course any used vehicle could have problems.

But, for example, if I was buying a 7.3 powerstroke with many miles I wouldn't be as paranoid about the servicing it had had.
In the numbers reported on here, I think the odds are in your favor. But like all the other vehicles, you only feel that way about the 7.3 and 460 because they have been around since the early nineties and sixties respectively, right? We definitely didn't have the French Models to tell us all about the problems for most of the years. It took time and hindsight to know what you know now. By the time you have that, it is too late. We don't have that luxury with the ecos, at least not yet. I also didn't have that luxury when I bought my Triton, but it proved to be long lasting despite all the hubbub about spark plugs, at the time.

·
Administrator
9,714 Posts
I was just throwing out trucks that I've gas personal experience with. I was very hard on them. Due somewhat to ignorance and somewhat to tight finances.

I'm not really disagreeing with you. Any used vehicle is of course a crap shoot. I just think some more than others.

I'm sure it's getting continually worse with new technology.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I certainly don't mind an XLT, but I'd like some added options. Going from the Taurus with the Bluetooth, keypad entry, backup sensors, etc. to a steering wheel and pedals would be somewhat saddening. I guess I like my creature comforts. I don't really care about leather though. I like the heated seats, but it ages badly, makes my butt sweat, I slide all over, and it gets uber hot in the summer.
My '13 XLT has Bluetooth, keypad entry, backup sensors, backup camera, integrated trailer brake controller, power sliding rear window, power driver seat, and many other creature comforts. They're not as bare bones as you might think.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here's my thoughts. Skip the after purchase mods, save the money or buy a truck with fewer miles, more content. Only you know how important the mods are to you. Exhaust and CAI on an EcoBoost are not an upgrade in my opinion, just noise and in the case of the exhaust mostly not pleasant noise. Lift and bigger tires and wheels add more long term costs in the replacement cost of tires and decreased fuel economy.

Since I sit in the the cab looking out more than looking at the outside my priority is what I see and perceive from that perspective.

·
Administrator
9,714 Posts
My '15 xlt has heated seats, remote start, Bluetooth, 8" touch screen, keypad entry, backup camera, trailer assist, heated mirrors, I don't know what else I could even use. Lol

But i didn't know if '14- xlts were so equipped.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts