F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got just over 53k and I’m not sure if the plugs have ever been changed. Bought it with 42k on it. What’s a good change interval? Since I’m going to tune it soon I want to change the plugs. What gap should I set them at? And can a parts store set the gap?

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
I’ve got just over 53k and I’m not sure if the plugs have ever been changed. Bought it with 42k on it. What’s a good change interval? Since I’m going to tune it soon I want to change the plugs. What gap should I set them at? And can a parts store set the gap?
They come pregapped between 28-30 thou. No a parts store won't do it as the boxes say do not gap. Use ford fomoco plugs.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They come pregapped between 28-30 thou. No a parts store won't do it as the boxes say do not gap. Use ford fomoco plugs.
So I don’t have to gap em? Just put em in? Says they are gapped at .030

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
So I don’t have to gap em? Just put em in? Says they are gapped at .030
Yup. Some tuners recommend going to 26-28 thou. Ask the tuner you plan on going with. Don't use the standard wire or disk type gap tool use feeler gauges, less chance of wrecking the electrode tip. Just light taps on the tang to bring the gap tighter.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Amazon has pretty good prices. I’ve been lucky with my local Oreilly. They’ve been able to get it directly from Ford. Saves me the drive. I gap them myself.

BCB and 5Star also carry them.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Just changed my own, 20000 miles on the current set. I prefer a wire gauge , a flat gauge even carefully used only reads the peaks. I adjust to where a .025 will fit easily and a .028 will not. Never force a gauge thru. The old plugs came out with .030-.034 size after 20000 miles. The idle which I set at 650 RPM settled to a 50 RPM range above and below that setting, smooth as could be. Biggest hassle is the back passenger side which in my truck is covered by an inch of wire loom and an inch of coolant hose. a combination of short and long extensions plus a universal help a lot. KM

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just stuck them in. They’re .030 gapped. All the plugs didn’t look too bad till I got to cylinder number 4. Here’s a pic of the plug.

·
Modinstrator
3,154 Posts
Oil Deposit/Ash Deposit. I’ve also seen a head gasket leak that left quite white deposits on a plug over a period of time but I’d guess that’s oil. If all plugs looked this way I’d wonder about fuel quality too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It w
Oil Deposit/Ash Deposit. I’ve also seen a head gasket leak that left quite white deposits on a plug over a period of time but I’d guess that’s oil. If all plugs looked this way I’d wonder about fuel quality too.
It was just that one plug, the rest looked fairly clean. Should I worry about it?

·
Modinstrator
3,154 Posts
Several things that could cause this, rings and valve guide seals to name a couple of common ones. Unfortunately some of these like rings are mechanical issues that don’t get better on their own. Do you have a catch can on this? Do you know the condition of the PCV valve? Occasionally a spark plug with one hotter heat range can keep the deposits at bay for a while.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
It w

It was just that one plug, the rest looked fairly clean. Should I worry about it?
I'd be pulling it ever few thousand miles and checking it. Indication of big issues in the valving/ gasket.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
It does look a little wet with oil on the threads...

If you pull them in 3K and the deposits are back - then I’d be concerned.

I wonder if the plugs were already done before and #4 was left alone?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It does look a little wet with oil on the threads...

If you pull them in 3K and the deposits are back - then I’d be concerned.

I wonder if the plugs were already done before and #4 was left alone?
Yeah you’re right. The threads seemed wet with oil compared to the others. What does that mean? And if there is an issue with the valving gasket what would that entail? I will be checking it for sure then in a few thousand miles. It’s very possible that one was left alone, but who knows.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Was the coil boot oily?

Also, with regards to gap, you should ask your new tuner, Boostking. He will tell you what has worked best for him and the other trucks he has tuned.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was the coil boot oily?

Also, with regards to gap, you should ask your new tuner, Boostking. He will tell you what has worked best for him and the other trucks he has tuned.
No sir, it was very clean.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
You have been hitting this board with 1001 questions, nothing wrong with that at all. Have you considered how many of your question asked have a related answer. The sooty sparkplug and the tailpipe soot? The excessive chuffing turbo and described BOV behavior? KM

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have been hitting this board with 1001 questions, nothing wrong with that at all. Have you considered how many of your question asked have a related answer. The sooty sparkplug and the tailpipe soot? The excessive chuffing turbo and described BOV behavior? KM
What are you implying? Turbo issue?

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Choof Choof Choof sounds from intake
Turbosmart BOVs
Any relationship here? I'm not implying anything just curious about possible solutions to what may be associated symptoms.

I noticed a sooty tailpipe on my truck. This had not been there in the time I had owned it. The only change was to a COBB intake. I do feel the individual tube intake actually hurt airflow a bit and possibly explained the soot. Changed plugs this week and soft black soot deposits on all,

which I figure are also fresh. Changed the oil, pulled a measured 6 quarts in draining matching the last amount added, pulled the intercooler bottom pipes and the CAC had no buildup of oil. Mixing these together I think I have a slight rich mixture now because of the intake (individual tubes vs the plenum of the OEM setup). I'll be exploring the causes and solutions for a while but consider the tailpipe soot asociated with the intake. First thing I have done was to pull the conical filter of the intake and return to the OEM style panel filter. Have to do some testing but adding the plenum in the airbox seems to make a difference. Long story I know but kinda shows how 1 thing can affect other things. KM

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Choof Choof Choof sounds from intake
Turbosmart BOVs
Any relationship here? I'm not implying anything just curious about possible solutions to what may be associated symptoms.

I noticed a sooty tailpipe on my truck. This had not been there in the time I had owned it. The only change was to a COBB intake. I do feel the individual tube intake actually hurt airflow a bit and possibly explained the soot. Changed plugs this week and soft black soot deposits on all, View attachment 171752
which I figure are also fresh. Changed the oil, pulled a measured 6 quarts in draining matching the last amount added, pulled the intercooler bottom pipes and the CAC had no buildup of oil. Mixing these together I think I have a slight rich mixture now because of the intake (individual tubes vs the plenum of the OEM setup). I'll be exploring the causes and solutions for a while but consider the tailpipe soot asociated with the intake. First thing I have done was to pull the conical filter of the intake and return to the OEM style panel filter. Have to do some testing but adding the plenum in the airbox seems to make a difference. Long story I know but kinda shows how 1 thing can affect other things. KM
I see what you’re saying. I wouldn’t be surprised if I was running rich too. When I started noticing excess tail pipe soot was after I did the VTA mod and switched to 91 octane. The VTA would theoretically make it run lean though, because it’s theoretically not taking in that recirculated air. But, I’m guessing my tuner can help me figure out if I have something wrong. But, all ecoboosts seem to have tail pipe soot, some more than others. Seems as though everybody has the choof Choof sounds from the intake, so I don’t feel alone. My truck runs amazing, still feels like the day I bought it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
VTA would make the truck run rich if we used a MAF because there would be fuel for a target air mass but the air mass gets reduced by vta.
The ecoboost uses MAP which would notice the pressure and adjust fueling to meet the target afr. Shouldn't run rich. You probably need a tune adjustment

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Reactions: boostkingMatt
1 - 20 of 48 Posts