F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

was involved in a collision where i was t boned by another vehicle whom was going 20 miles an hour. Honestly surprised at the lack of damage considering the damage sustained by the other vehicle (Chevy sonic).About to take the truck into the shop for repairs. Is there anything concerning the suspension, transmission, or axle I should ask the mechanic to look at? What worries me is at all the force of the impact was transferred to the axle.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
View attachment 164866
was involved in a collision where i was t boned by another vehicle whom was going 20 miles an hour. Honestly surprised at the lack of damage considering the damage sustained by the other vehicle (Chevy sonic).About to take the truck into the shop for repairs. Is there anything concerning the suspension, transmission, or axle I should ask the mechanic to look at? What worries me is at all the force of the impact was transferred to the axle.
I had a similar seemingly small incident. A lady back into the side of my F150. She said she didn't she didn't see me. A firefighter happened by, and said that was accident code for 'I didn't look'.

Anyway, it was way more than I imagined. The dealership immediately checked alignment to see if any of the suspension was out of whack. The wheel and wheel well lip were more than I expected for sure. They did the minor bodywork and paint work. The alignment was done again and some bushings or something small were replaced.

Take it somewhere reputable. They can fix all that.

The worst part is they will fix all the damage, but you don't get the equity back for your truck now having been accident reported.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I see the flat tire. I'm assuming she hit the rear half of the truck? So the lateral "shock" was all behind the cab?

If so, the post above is probably very indicative of what would need to be checked.

It could even be less damage than he described. I'm curious now, so please let us know.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
1,930 Posts
When you get punched in the axle the tire often absorbs a great deal of the impact and there isn’t a ton of body/frame damage. That said, this can also cause the dreaded unseen problems. Things like axles, brakes, bearings and even differentials. I’d be very particular with what the adjuster tells you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a similar seemingly small incident. A lady back into the side of my F150. She said she didn't she didn't see me. A firefighter happened by, and said that was accident code for 'I didn't look'.

Anyway, it was way more than I imagined. The dealership immediately checked alignment to see if any of the suspension was out of whack. The wheel and wheel well lip were more than I expected for sure. They did the minor bodywork and paint work. The alignment was done again and some bushings or something small were replaced.

Take it somewhere reputable. They can fix all that.

The worst part is they will fix all the damage, but you don't get the equity back for your truck now having been accident reported.

Thank you for your input. Took it today to service king as Usaa recommended. Hopefully tomorrow they’ll let me know what’s wrong. It’s been a great truck these past years, and to see it lose its value bc of a wreck is frustrating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see the flat tire. I'm assuming she hit the rear half of the truck? So the lateral "shock" was all behind the cab?

If so, the post above is probably very indicative of what would need to be checked.

It could even be less damage than he described. I'm curious now, so please let us know.

I was heading west down a county highway and the other car (Chevy sonic) was approaching a stop sign perpendicular to me. Chevy didn’t stop, I swerved hoping to avoid him and he struck my rear wheel head on totaling his Chevy. The police and I were honestly surprised at what little damage there was to the rear quarter panel (just a scratch). Knowing that just a new wheel and tire was too good to be true, I had USAA tow it the 50 miles home. I hope it’s not totaled, bought the truck with 50k on it now has 121k. Taken care of it like it was my child.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I've had some experience in this field...not by my choice!
1st>Red Light Runner T-Boned me back in 2004 / 01 Silverado (totalled by Insurance Co-No Fault).
2nd>Red Light Runner T-Boned me back in 2015 / `14 F150 Boost (9months brand new/Insurance Co did not total truck-No Fault).
Probably most of your damage is drivetrain underneath the truck.
I still have been battling a vibration gremlin-I suspect wheel bearings, and should have that remedied this season. It's only above 80mph.
Have it thoroughly checked over before and after.
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I've had some experience in this field...not by my choice!
1st>Red Light Runner T-Boned me back in 2004 / 01 Silverado (totalled by Insurance Co-No Fault).
2nd>Red Light Runner T-Boned me back in 2015 / `14 F150 Boost (9months brand new/Insurance Co did not total truck-No Fault).
Probably most of your damage is drivetrain underneath the truck.
I still have been battling a vibration gremlin-I suspect wheel bearings, and should have that remedied this season. It's only above 80mph.
Have it thoroughly checked over before and after.
Good luck!

Pic

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Finally heard back from Service King. They determined that the rear axle is bent. Therefor they are replacing the axle, rear suspension, tire and wheel. About 4k worth of work.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Bobby.....see if you can have a new replacement OEM rearend and not one from a salvage yard?
Also, when they put it all back together if you can see the rearend/tires spinning while up on a lift> before you sign off. Making sure the wheel bearings aren't tweaked causing vibration & excessive tire wear down the road.....and if a tire is damaged, get the same replacement brand & size!
Sounds like your on the road to recovery.

·
1,930 Posts
Finally heard back from Service King. They determined that the rear axle is bent. Therefor they are replacing the axle, rear suspension, tire and wheel. About 4k worth of work.
I was hoping that this was where you would end up. Rear axles can simply hide so many problems.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Make sure you do a fairly thorough test drive after the repairs. That thing should drive straight and smooth when they are done.

Was the bed damage in front of the tire not part of this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was part
Make sure you do a fairly thorough test drive after the repairs. That thing should drive straight and smooth when they are done.

Was the bed damage in front of the tire not part of this?

It was part of the damage. They just buffed it out. Hopefully I’ll have the car back by Monday or Tuesday!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bobby.....see if you can have a new replacement OEM rearend and not one from a salvage yard?
Also, when they put it all back together if you can see the rearend/tires spinning while up on a lift> before you sign off. Making sure the wheel bearings aren't tweaked causing vibration & excessive tire wear down the road.....and if a tire is damaged, get the same replacement brand & size!
Sounds like your on the road to recovery.

Thank you! I’m for sure going to take it on a test drive before I sign off. As well as make sure the trans doesn’t slip as well as 4x4 works properly

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Listen.....I had my Ford Dealership do the repairs. They were awesome and at the same time made a couple mistakes which I caught during inspection-BUT, when it comes to the rear axle replacement I was a pinch naive. Ask & Inspect the Repair Invoice> for exactly all parts replaced and if some were not andwhy!

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
It was part

It was part of the damage. They just buffed it out. Hopefully I’ll have the car back by Monday or Tuesday!
It may just be the picture, but it looks wrinkled at the bottom. If it is, that won't buff out. Don't let USAA and their partner do a half a$$ repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It may just be the picture, but it looks wrinkled at the bottom. If it is, that won't buff out. Don't let USAA and their partner do a half a$$ repair.
Thank you for noticing, The mechanics washed my car and noticed that paint was chipped, as well as a small dent. They decided to repaint that panel. Picking the truck up today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Received the car last Friday. All is fixed. They replaced the axle housing with a used one. Fixed a bulge in the bed and repainted chips (even though they were already there before the wreck). Only thing that makes me wonder is if its ok that they just replaced one tire (not in pairs). Originally, the tires were purchased this past summer in June and maybe had 5000 miles on them before the wreck. I just wonder if one tire being slightly bigger (less wear) will affect the others or harm my axle

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Received the car last Friday. All is fixed. They replaced the axle housing with a used one. Fixed a bulge in the bed and repainted chips (even though they were already there before the wreck). Only thing that makes me wonder is if its ok that they just replaced one tire (not in pairs). Originally, the tires were purchased this past summer in June and maybe had 5000 miles on them before the wreck. I just wonder if one tire being slightly bigger (less wear) will affect the others or harm my axle
That isn't a long difference. Rotation will fix most of that. Or put the new tire at the passenger rear, and do a lot of peg-leg burn outs. That will equalize them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts