F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

641 - 654 of 654 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
I hope you get a good clean "polished" tune for daily driving that is less frantic than what that crazy setup is capable.

Then when you think you are getting jaded, load the MAX tune for that other mood.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #642
Big progress today. Pulled everything back in the tune and we're able to get a new baseline and slowly load things on. Also found out the wgs on the turbos are medium boost efr wastegates and good for 20.6 psi so may need to upgrade to high boost wgs down the road. Boosting doesn't think we'll need it but we're both playing it by ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #644 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #646

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #648
Do we ever get any videos or what?

Whatcha want to see?

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #649
Ok so we weny back to the drawing board. Engine builder and tuner were not happy with the amount of knock that was coming from the engine and not happy with how we were controlling the boost. Our biggest issue was the wastegates. We had some misinformation going back and forth and finally realized the wgs were the EFR medium boost wgs. It was preloaded to 7+mm and was horrible for the boost solenoid. I brought them down to 2mm of preload and using a mityvac I was able to test the wgs and they're using 13psi to crack open the wastegates. Everyone is happy with that and we loaded a tune that backed off everything. Using this as our new base I datalogged the truck and sent it over to the tuner.

This should move us in the right direction now and not worry about the damage the knock could've caused if not controlled. I have to say with everything pulled out the truck does pull and feel better but we're just getting started. I will need to start looking at maybe new turbo blankets as the ones on there now were cut up and causes the threads to smolder. I am working out ideas with the engine builder on replacements.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
It's funny how much impact the WG's can have on this whole thing. It was one of the items that I had to work through. Mine was a little different though, with a complete one-off setup, making Vacuum WG's work on turbos meant for E-WG's.

I know you want this done, but for me some of the fun was in the troubleshooting and satisfaction when something got resolved. Keep it up, you're getting there!

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
Broken record, I know, but......

These aren't our dad's NA, computerless, pushrod pick-up trucks.

You pop the hood on one of these Ecoboost trucks and you stare at an amazing array of instruments that are all required to perform as a perfect ensemble, or else the song falls flat. Even the smallest participant in the ensemble can mess the performance up. In this case, a spring that might yield to the slightest nudge just a little late or a little early.

Fortunately, you have a conductor (actually a collaboration of two conductors) that is capable of finding the offending instrument and tweaking its role in order to.....

OK, I'll stop there

Point is, dialing in a build like yours wouldn't even be possible without a dedicated collaboration. That's why it's kinda rare.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
It's funny how much impact the WG's can have on this whole thing. It was one of the items that I had to work through. Mine was a little different though, with a complete one-off setup, making Vacuum WG's work on turbos meant for E-WG's.

I know you want this done, but for me some of the fun was in the troubleshooting and satisfaction when something got resolved. Keep it up, you're getting there!
Yea it blows my mind that 5mm can cause so much issues. I'll wait to see what @Boostking says about the datalogs I sent him but truck felt great. Even with all the power out of it. I can tell the truck feels happier.

I really want to make progress and sometimes you have to go backwards in order to go forward. I think little by little this truck will be where I want it and then some.

Broken record, I know, but......

These aren't our dad's NA, computerless, pushrod pick-up trucks.

You pop the hood on one of these Ecoboost trucks and you stare at an amazing array of instruments that are all required to perform as a perfect ensemble, or else the song falls flat. Even the smallest participant in the ensemble can mess the performance up. In this case, a spring that might yield to the slightest nudge just a little late or a little early.

Fortunately, you have a conductor (actually a collaboration of two conductors) that is capable of finding the offending instrument and tweaking its role in order to.....

OK, I'll stop there

Point is, dialing in a build like yours wouldn't even be possible without a dedicated collaboration. That's why it's kinda rare.

I think having @Boostking and @RMB_Ryan on my side, this truck will be an awesome machine when it's dialed in. They have been awesome with this and I would've been defeated if wasn't for these guys. Just between brainstorming sessions and trial and error we'll get it going

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #654
WOT 0-60 time estimate?!

Once the truck is running how I want I'll post some. Even if it's progress work so you guys can see it get quicker and quicker

641 - 654 of 654 Posts