F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

901 - 920 of 936 Posts

·
Administrator
11,064 Posts
Is it typical to have to do this much work on your own to get an engine/vehicle running right after dropping it off for a motor build and install?

I had always envisioned dropping it off, and picking it up ready to party! Maybe break in and then party. I've always dreamed of doing something like this, but if this is typical it makes me dream of it less!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
There's no owners manual for something like that. :)

It would be different if it was some kind of spec-build in racing where all the testing, sorting, and field trials were documented and then you just purchase the 78th build of that exact recipe.

And even those are notorious for being more complicated than folks expect.

But this? He's the final sort team. There's no sponsors to cover the time/efforts of this part of the build. The final hurdle isn't for the weary.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #909
Well I think I am going to ditch the restrictors and just do the Turbosmart Oil Pressure Regulator. I have some fitting coming Thursday for to put inline guages on each turbo oil feed and a -8 bulkhead fitting to tap the pan. Going to be a tight fit for the gravity drain the the opr needs but I found a good route. Going from the opr, which will be tied directly before the oil distribution block, doing a -4 on the opr to -8 for the drain by going over the front diff and routing into a cubby hole next to the pan, to -8 Earl's bulkhead with a lot of jbweld coming off the side of the pan. I gave myself an extra 4 inches of 🤞🏻 hopefully 🤞🏻 of slack in the line.

From ground-up OPR

Over the axle

Backside view of where I plan to tap the pan

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #910
Is it typical to have to do this much work on your own to get an engine/vehicle running right after dropping it off for a motor build and install?

I had always envisioned dropping it off, and picking it up ready to party! Maybe break in and then party. I've always dreamed of doing something like this, but if this is typical it makes me dream of it less!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
That's a great question. I was sure hoping I could take someone the keys, drop it off and get a working truck in return. Hasn't happened yet to this truck or any other stupid vehicle I decide to build. You need like 100k and two year waiting period if your lucky

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #912

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Step away for a bit?
You've done it before.

Burning out takes all the fun out of it. Your labor of love can turn into a burden of gnaw.

Go change some diapers and watch cartoons?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #914
Step away for a bit?
You've done it before.

Burning out takes all the fun out of it. Your labor of love can turn into a burden of gnaw.

Go change some diapers and watch cartoons?

Yea I'm getting close to a break. I want to setup the opr and change the oil before I call it quits. That should all be done this week.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #915
Ordered a spare oil pan just in case anything happens and my neighbor who works at the dealership will bring it home tomorrow for me. Going to take my time on the new pan when installing the bulk fitting but should all work. Just need to grab some JB weld too.

Also checked the oil today and I think I may have found another reason for the smoke. This is dead cold and the oil is way over hot line. Going to drain and put 6 quarts of Amsoil SS 5w30. The thinking behind the extra oil is because of the remote oil filter and cooler setup. Needs to fill the new -10 lines. But after taking with @SlowGen1 that doesn't seem right. Seems like the oil level in the block would remain the same level as before regardless of an external cooler or filter setup. Will test and confirm while doing opr.

Figured out why my heat doesn't turn on at idle either. Coolant reservoir tank was pretty much empty. Will need to pickup some coolant too

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #917
I have a similar oil filter and cooler set up as you, I put in 5.7 liters of oil on a oil change.
Yea that's what I thought as well. I think there is too much oil in this thing

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #918
So oil showed up as well as ally parts for the Turbosmart OPR. I went to the dealership earlier this week and ordered a second oil pan to tap a bulkhead fitting for the drain on the opr. Only thing I need left is RTV for the pan. I think I have a nice spot for the opr to sit to see the pressure gauge while laying on your back looking up or perfect location to run wires for a digital guage. Will need to mock it up to be sure. I did also check the drain line and its the perfect length for my needs. Lime green charger for the win.

I am also going to put these on the oil feed lines so I can make sure both turbos are getting 40 psi at all times.

We're going to figure out this smoking one way or another.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #920
Well I think I finally figured out the smoking issue after 2 years. Installed those gauges on my oil feel and the turbos were reading 60 psi cold! Took it for a spin to get it to temp and at idle the truck was sitting at 20psi. It was hitting 60psi on 3k and then spiked to 80psi when we took it to 4k for a sec. I am installing the Turbosmart Oil Pressure Regulator tomorrow and that should finally fix the smoking issue. The high oil pressure was acting as a brake on the turbos too so spool time should increase too.

I'm drilling the pan and putting in the bulk head tonight. This way the jbweld can cure.

901 - 920 of 936 Posts