F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1122 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,061
Well I did today with what I was going to do Saturday reclocked the turbo, adjusted the wastegate bracket and installed the oil drain flanges and the Turbosmart kompacts plumb backs. Disassembly went by fast but when I got to the wastegate bracket 2/3 screws were stripped. Managed to drill them out then use a hammer and screw driver to knock them loose. Got it all back together and it doesn't run nearly as loud now! Idle is much smoother doesn't sound like it's gonna take off.

Took it for a drive and I think @Boostking is going to be one happy tuner now. All boost surge is gone and with the kompacts in-between shifts are not as hard and it holds the boost there. I think we done did something good here boys. Will need to change the driver's drain from a PTFE fitting to a standard flex hose an fitting. Thought these lines were PTFE since my invoices say it but guess not. Still smoking after the drive but after me throwing that chra around a little today I wouldn't be surprised that it did smoke some right now.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,062

Reactions: BRoell

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,063
So managed to fix the drains but the driver's side hose is all frayed making the fitting hard to stay on. I ordered on some cable cutters that should be here tomorrow so I can cut the hose and set it right. Passenger side is perfect now so no more fiddling with that. I smoke on an off now which is promising but I think it's because of that driver drain being wonky.

My Raceport is showing up today and I already have the elbow from full race. That should be an easy install and then it's a matter of seeing if the smoke will clear. Everyone cross your fingers the turbo isn't jacked and needs to be rebuilt.

Reactions: BRoell

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
I really really hope the turbo is good, however my gut is telling me otherwise. I really hope I'm wrong, lol!

The silver lining is that it is relatively easy to to remove and you should have some local shops to get it re-sealed. They are a widely used turbo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,065
I really really hope the turbo is good, however my gut is telling me otherwise. I really hope I'm wrong, lol!

The silver lining is that it is relatively easy to to remove and you should have some local shops to get it re-sealed. They are a widely used turbo.
Yea I'll be pretty pissed if the turbos are toast considering this was other people's mistake that I now need to fix and pay for twice. I'll see if there are local shops that can rebuild these for me.

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Yea I'll be pretty pissed if the turbos are toast considering this was other people's mistake that I now need to fix and pay for twice. I'll see if there are local shops that can rebuild these for me.
I completely understand. I'm just looking at it from the standpoint of the initial install of the drains was bad and that pressure had to go somewhere. Again, I hope it's not the case though.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,067
I completely understand. I'm just looking at it from the standpoint of the initial install of the drains was bad and that pressure had to go somewhere. Again, I hope it's not the case though.
Yea I know what you're saying. Crappy part about EFR's is that they're not rebuildable. You need a whole new super core for $1300 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,068
So the Turbosmart Raceport showed up and I got it ready to go on the new elbow. Should be a simple swap for tomorrow if I don't get to it today.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,070
Ooo that thing is pretty. I like the anodized blue.
Me too 😬 I took a gamble on it and glad I did. I have a Tial the same color that I'm gonna sell now. I've seen the red, purpl and black in person too and the red is my favorite.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,073
Would this work?
I would see a performance hit going from ball bearing to journal, might have to run different lines and it's only $400 less than a new center section. Plus I'd have to buy two. I think of anything I think it's the passenger center section so I'd rather gamble that first.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,074
I swapped the bov and elbow just now and noticed oil in the piping. I wonder if that's accounting to some smoke. 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,075
Fixed the driver's oil drain. The wire cutters wouldn't touch the steel line but luckily I had a dremel and cut off wheel. Should've done that from the start 🤦🏻‍♂️

Fitting is now on correctly and the drain is routed probably the best it's been. Completely off the manifolds and the steering column now.

Before because I thought it was PTFE line.

After

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,076
I think this was all in vain because the center section is screwed. Got home after getting dinner and saw smoke under the hood. Popped it and the bottom bolts for the centre section came loose and I saw oil oozing out and then it ignited. Luckily I was able to blow it out instantly but I think I need a new center section

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,078
I can’t use the language that I want, so I’ll just say what a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believe me I had some choice words but now I'm not even mad. It's normal for this truck. Just fixed all these things and in the end it was the turbo

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,080
New turbo should be here by tomorrow. Looking at the old one I am not sure if it's bad. The wheel is off balance ever so slightly and you really have to look for it. Doesn't seem like there's a way to tell without sending to Borg Warner to assess. I can hear the bearings rubbing in there so I think it's toast

When I took it out the other day

To now

1061 - 1080 of 1122 Posts