F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently having some vibration at idle issues in my 2011 Lariat. I changed the plugs and boots to no avail so I began checking for loose hoses from the engine. During my search I also noticed a lot of sludge built up on top of the drivers side wastegate and I was a little concerned. The passeneger side is completely clean. Any body have any idea if this is normal and what the issue could be if not? I’m sure this issue is most likely unrelated but my extended warranty ends in approximately two weeks. I’ve attached a picture for reference..... some of the sludge was wiped off by me while checking things out.

·
Registered
433 Posts
With the dipstick right above it, I would suggest drips from checking the oil spreading out and attracting dirt. Do you do your own oil changes? The oil change personnel don’t care if they drip on that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a great point, I’ve always sent the truck in for its oil change so that could be possible.

·
1,847 Posts
Probably just my eyes but it looks like that vacuum line is split and no that wouldn’t have anything to do with oil residue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I experienced the same issue with my 2014 Platinum (68k miles). Switched to the 87 canned tune on SCT livewire "fixed" the issue. I still get the noticeable vibe on 2nd gear though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine looks the same, it looks old and not fresh. I’m with above it could be years of checking oil and residue dripping down onto the turbo and intake tubes

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Mine "was" like that too (@86k miles).. I figured it was from checking the oil too.. I used some brake clean spray and it cleaned it up like new. I checked the dip stick, and it seemed a bit 'loose' so I replaced the O-ring on it and it's a tighter fit now. Not that I think it was leaking from the stick, just wanted to use an O-ring from the kit I got off of Amazon that came with various sizes and way too many to ever use in a lifetime for a "home mechanic".. :)

What is funny, is when I had the truck in for it's trans re-program recall, they noted on their 'vehicle inspection form' that there was "excessive oil residue on drivers side and further investigation was needed. Possible power steering leak or valve cover leak" and then they recommended that I make an appointment with the service department to have it checked out (on my dime of course, because there is no 'warranty' anymore).. "Power steering leak", ha, ha... I'm sure you all know why that's not possible..

Anyway, just said 'Thank you' and said I'll check it out..

Mitch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts