1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife was parking in the driveway when this happened:

20180612_190448.jpg

20180612_190427.jpg

The other side looks right about ready to come out too.

20180612_190759.jpg

Is the emergency brake cable replaceable in a driveway?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
My assumption is that it is okay to drive, just needs to be parked flat.
I haven't had to replace mine, but yes, it's usually a driveway job. Shouldn't even have to remove the wheels.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
You probably have to remove the brake rotor to get to the ebrake drum inside.

·
Administrator
9,722 Posts
I did that on my '99 f250. Never fixed it. That truck was a 6 speed manual. Lol

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was just curious if you never used it and it got rusty and snapped....or if it was used so much that it finally snapped.
That is a good question. We've only owned it the past 10K miles, so hard to tell without pulling it out. With that said, I'll take a good look at it after I take it out.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
That is a good question. We've only owned it the past 10K miles, so hard to tell without pulling it out. With that said, I'll take a good look at it after I take it out.
Looks like it corroded by the pics.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
You probably have to remove the brake rotor to get to the ebrake drum inside.
The cable hooks on to the actuator arm externally, but it wouldn't hurt to dive in and see what the shoes and hardware look like.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Also looks like your axle seal is leaking or something close to that.
You may be onto something here.
At first I thought it was a shadow, but then I realized the last pic is the opposite side.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is oily, but nothing looks recent. No drips or anything. I didn't end up having the time or parts to do a brake job, so I'll take a look at the insides next time. Got the new cable in. Old one was unhappy. I'll cut down the pics and post them tomorrow.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Old one just looks liked it pulled through. Probably happened once the cable snapped, and the force of the ebrake being put on ripped it right through the bracket.
brake-cable-failure.jpg
brake-cable-new.jpg
What looks like rubbing damage, probably from the tire.
brake-cable-wearing.jpg
You can see some marks that look like burring on the right-hand side cable where the spring sits.
brake-cable-burring.jpg

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
You should tell the wife that it was caused by her pushing down on the e-brake pedal far too hard.

Make sure you should cut yourself while repairing it and let it bleed a little extra for 'effect'.

And complain how you are now really hurting when you are finished. And that she now owes you one (or three) for fixing it.

You may never get a chance like this again (except if she badly damages a vehicle one day ... but that WILL cost you).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts