F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buddy of mine and I were out running errands after work and decided to see what the level b maintenance roads in our area looked like. Of course they're all drifted shut. So I pull up on the first drift and climb right up it. Frozen solid enough I can drive up it in 4lo. SWEET! So like an idiot I proceeded to press my luck until I was about 250 feet into the road and far beyond the help of a quick tow by a friend. I got stuck....

stuck!.jpg

So I was on my frame and rear end high centered in the middle of this road in 3-4' deep frozen-ish snow. Great! Good job Bryan. Really good decision making on my part!

So I call buddies and friends and bums with trucks to no avail. NO ONE is able to come out and help......
I started wondering how long it'd be until spring....

Then I remembered the roadside assistance package I got when I purchased my truck. No way would they send a tow truck out here.... WRONG!

I called up the FoMoCo roadside program and asked for a tow truck because I was stuck in some snow. They asked how far off the road I was. Clearly I was one a road. So I told them it had drifted shut with all the wind we'd had. Worked like a charm! 45 Minutes later an F450 diesel show up with a winch and all the necessary straps to yank me out of the predicament I had innocently wandered into. The driver promptly backs their truck as far back as they can and gets STUCK also. What the h-e-double hockey sticks man?????

tow truck stuck.jpg

The driver then decides to try to get me out so I can pull them out. Great idea beefy ass tow truck... We get my truck out of the soft snow I was stuck in and I reverse into a field for the world's most heroic 3 point turn. I'm stuck again in the soft snow and deep ditch at the side of the road!

About this time a couple of my buds show up to help out and generally make things worse by making me feel like an idiot. The guy with the truck tries to pull out the stuck F450 with no luck and moves his Dodge out of the way. So by this time I'm facing the road in the ditch at a 90° angle. So I need the tow truck to pull my front end sideways and get me back onto the hardpacked frozen 3' deep snow. So I can drive around the tow truck and pull it out. One issue with that. Remember the drift I mounted to get up onto said frozen 3' deep snow? The tow truck is parked right at the safest departing spot to get down off the drift. So I get drug out of the ditch sideways and drive up next to the truck. Now I have a dilemma of rolling my truck and not destroying theirs or clipping their truck and getting down safely. I chose the rolling option as the driver of the tow truck didn't want to damage it. I find myself then at an*angle of 30° or better to depart my truck down the drift. I MADE IT! WOO HOO!

Now I just have to get the tow truck out. My truck is chained to the tow truck for the first try......

No dice.

Pulled out my 24k rated strap. Hooked up and let some slack out on the strap. Then floored it. Pulled it right out like a boss.

For some reason I can't imbed the video.

Here's a link....

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I got stuck in my yard and had to have my wife pull me out with the F-350.
Trying to jump start the tractor I had to drive onto the heavy wet rain soaked snow on a slight down slope with my piss poor for winter stock tires.
F-350 in low 4X4, F-150 4high with locker on did the trick.
One thing I thought I'd learned but was reminded is that no matter how good your tires are, heavy wet snow is like driving on ice.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
That's the way to start the weekend off !! Fun in the snow!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Obviously them city boy tires ya got on there! If you want to drive through there you need a jeep.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Proper tires would help. Like winter specified tires. But great story & adventure

Sent from my white iPad in a RED smart case using an app called Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cool pics and awesome video, thanks for sharing... though down my way, we have some of the same issues, but it's sand and mud! Only snowed here 3 times in the last 41 years I've been here.. but I grew up in Northeast Ohio and I helped my grandpa on a number of trips in the winter pull'n folks out of the ditches and snow driffs, with his big old Ford tow truck back in the day.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The weeds are in a ditch that slopes up on either side of the road.

Tires and a lift are in the future for sure.

nOOg7 It seems like every post you have to tell everyone how much of a "city boy" they are.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The weeds are in a ditch that slopes up on either side of the road.

Tires and a lift are in the future for sure.

nOOg7 It seems like every post you have to tell everyone how much of a "city boy" they are.
Pretty sure I was referring to the tires, but if you're going to take it personally I wont stop you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I guess I really don't understand the jeep thing, if you really don't want to get stuck in snow, or any other soft substance for that matter get one of these!

image-3323920311.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
They make them for 4wheelers and were really popular when they came out, but when you try to cross over obstacles the rear track tries to drive under it. I also don't know how much "float" they provide. The contact pad of each track seems a little small.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I guess I really don't understand the jeep thing, if you really don't want to get stuck in snow, or any other soft substance for that matter get one of these!

View attachment 6332
I don't understand, why take four wheelers when you're driving this beast to get there....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts