F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new rotors and pads on the truck last week and ever since my pedal feels softer and the brake engagement happens further along the pedal stroke. The truck stops fine, but I basically have to press the pedal further to stop the truck. I did do the break-in procedure.

This isn't the first time I've done complete brakes on a vehicle. I've never had this issue before. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
bleed em again you got an air pocket. rr, lr rf, lf. did you get your recall on master cylinder done?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never opened the system, rotors and pads only. Just feels softer than before.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did. It actually scared me when the pedal nearly fell to the floor when I first got in the truck. It came right back though. It is really weird, just seems to engage later in the pedal travel. I can stomp on it and no problem and it actually stops fine as I've driven all week. I'm guessing someone who hadn't driven the truck before wouldn't even notice. The problem seems to be more at slower speeds when you just lightly press the pedal. Like in a neighborhood or coming to a stop sign from 25-30 mph.

I guess that makes sense with the break-in since the rotor doesn't have any wear on it. Oh well, it was fun racing through the parking lot!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Did you remove and lubricate the caliper slides?
Perhaps a difference in pad material?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Shreks right on.... if theres a slide stuck or hanging up the brakes will be soft and won't last as long. Rarely happens but it is possible to get air in the system sometimes even though you didn't open it. Ive had It happen to. Just pushed in the calipers like normal and somehow air squeezed in. Bled them out and all was well again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did lubricate the slides. I guess the only way to really make sure nothing is hung up is to remove wheel by wheel. If nothing seems out of whack then I guess there must be air in there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I went ahead and bled the brakes. Got myself one of those cool Motive bleeder kits while I was at it since I have future projects on my other cars and I'm always by myself working on the vehicles. Worked like a champ! Anyways, I did get some air bubble to come out and the pedal feels firmer. I honestly don't remember what it felt like before all of this as the change was minimal, just noticeable.

Question: How much do you all unscrew your bleeder screws?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Question: How much do you all unscrew your bleeder screws?
Umm... enough, but not too much. Maybe about 1/4 or 1/2 turn past 'sealed'.
It's really not much.

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Umm... enough, but not too much. Maybe about 1/4 or 1/2 turn past 'sealed'.
It's really not much.
Yup..enough so it flows decent: too little and it takes too long to bleed, too open and air escapes back INTO the caliper from the loose threads. The Mityvac pump is the perfect tool for this. I'm glad the pedal feels firmer now. Enjoy!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another follow up on this. Even though things were better after bleeding I still felt it wasn't quite right. I had the front wheels off to change my shocks and decided to pull the pads and have a look-see. Nothing seemed wrong, so I just put them back on. But when I test drove the truck the brakes had a good firm pedal feel. Not sure what changed, but I'm very pleased that it did.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had my recall work done a year ago, but now it is squealing. Any ideas. Replaced caliper and rotors all around.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts