F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas and suggestions for upgrading my current system. I have the Sony system, it's ok but I am looking for a little more. Would like to keep the in dash console the same but am open to adding more power with an amp, better speakers and possibly a larger sub. What do you all think? Recommendations
Thanks
How

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looking for ideas and suggestions for upgrading my current system. I have the Sony system, it's ok but I am looking for a little more. Would like to keep the in dash console the same but am open to adding more power with an amp, better speakers and possibly a larger sub. What do you all think? Recommendations
Thanks
How
Depends on what kind of music you listen to.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I plan on taking out the factory sub and putting a row of 8" subs under the rear bench, and adding an amp.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I heard that the jl13tw5 in a custom box will slam. That's why the audio shop told me if I wanted a nice decently loud system.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For now I put poly fill in my stock sub box.
How well does that work? Do you have any pictures or links to somebody that has done this before I would love to see what it looks like? I have heard about it several times but cannot find any threads on how to do it usually when stuff like this comes up there's a ton of how to threads all over Google... I can't find single one! lol

As for audio upgrades I intend on possibly putting in the JL audio W13 with their "stealth box" it is designed to fit perfectly under our back seat on the driver side so you don't have to remove the Sony one if you don't want to. (personally I would go and use that space for the amp but some people don't want to remove the original sub...) Or if I decided by the time I get to it I was looking into having a custom box made for 2 W13. I know someone that has this set up it's awesome to say the least. but if you just want a simple system for better quality sound get a decent flat sub like a 10 or 12 with a good and you should be golden. I like the Pioneer shallow mount subs, when power correctly and in the right box they offer a very clean sound.

·
Registered
229 Posts
How well does that work? Do you have any pictures or links to somebody that has done this before I would love to see what it looks like? I have heard about it several times but cannot find any threads on how to do it usually when stuff like this comes up there's a ton of how to threads all over Google... I can't find single one! lol

As for audio upgrades I intend on possibly putting in the JL audio W13 with their "stealth box" it is designed to fit perfectly under our back seat on the driver side so you don't have to remove the Sony one if you don't want to. (personally I would go and use that space for the amp but some people don't want to remove the original sub...) Or if I decided by the time I get to it I was looking into having a custom box made for 2 W13. I know someone that has this set up it's awesome to say the least. but if you just want a simple system for better quality sound get a decent flat sub like a 10 or 12 with a good and you should be golden. I like the Pioneer shallow mount subs, when power correctly and in the right box they offer a very clean sound.
It definitly isnt a competition sounding sub with poly fill in it, but it does give it a little more of a deeper sound. There really isnt much to show in pictures but i will see if i can find a link to it. All I had to do was upbolt sub from floor, unscrew speaker and put polyfill (insides of a pillow) and screw back down. Simple and quick way to get a bit more sound out of it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rockford Fosgate also makes a P3S, which is a shallow sub that will sound decent. Two of those in 10's or 12's under the back seat should sound fairly good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It definitly isnt a competition sounding sub with poly fill in it, but it does give it a little more of a deeper sound. There really isnt much to show in pictures but i will see if i can find a link to it. All I had to do was upbolt sub from floor, unscrew speaker and put polyfill (insides of a pillow) and screw back down. Simple and quick way to get a bit more sound out of it.
You weren't kidding it was super easy to do and a definite improvement in deeper sound. I ended up making a little "how to" thread for anybody that is interested in trying to do it. And so there is at least pictures for people to see what they're getting themselves into before they do it but you were 100% right at most it took 30 minutes to do and it was well worth the time invested in it. This will hold me over till I can get those 2 13" jL installed :cool:

Here's a link for anyone that wants to see the images and my walk through on how to do it
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/19-f150-ecoboost-electronics/842-f150-sony-sub-woofer-box-poly-fil-how-w-pics.html

·
Registered
229 Posts
You weren't kidding it was super easy to do and a definite improvement in deeper sound. I ended up making a little "how to" thread for anybody that is interested in trying to do it. And so there is at least pictures for people to see what they're getting themselves into before they do it but you were 100% right at most it took 30 minutes to do and it was well worth the time invested in it. This will hold me over till I can get those 2 13" jL installed :cool:

Here's a link for anyone that wants to see the images and my walk through on how to do it
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/19-f150-ecoboost-electronics/842-f150-sony-sub-woofer-box-poly-fil-how-w-pics.html

Nice write up. It is nice having a back seat but definitely do miss jamming

·
Registered
122 Posts
Alpine Type R shallows seem to be a favorite to go under the back seat. JL Audio 13tw5 will also be a great choice. I personally love JL Audio. But this will be the first time I have a sub that's not a JL. I am waiting on the the Stereo Integrity BM MkIV. Try to find a bad comment about them. A guy hand builds them and the quality control is borderline obsessive compulsive. They haven't had any new ones for sale since Dec. 2010. Used ones are selling for more than new! That model was the MKIII. I will have JL components, rear speakers, and amp. But I am going to pre-order an MKIV.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I have done this in every car I have owned, but I don't think I'll mess with the trucks speakers till I need to.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I just upgraded to an Alpine SBR-S83V powered by a Kicker DX500.1 @ 4 ohms/ 250 watts. At that wattage there's no way of damaging the speaker and it sounds world's better than the stock sub.

Honestly I've had really loud systems before and this setup is very balanced for fast paced drums vs rap (long low notes). I also think the stock Sony doors/ tweeters sound great though....

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I plan on taking out the factory sub and putting a row of 8" subs under the rear bench, and adding an amp.
I have heard a system with 6 8" subwoofers wreak havoc!!! I've always wanted to build one but never did. I believe that would kick ass in our trucks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just upgraded to an Alpine SBR-S83V powered by a Kicker DX500.1 @ 4 ohms/ 250 watts. At that wattage there's no way of damaging the speaker and it sounds world's better than the stock sub. Honestly I've had really loud systems before and this setup is very balanced for fast paced drums vs rap (long low notes). I also think the stock Sony doors/ tweeters sound great though....
Can you throw up some pics of that enclosure in the back I'm considering it or a box that goes under the entire seat

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am impressed with the Memphis audio speakers. I had MB Quarts in my lightning. Kick panels with 5.25 and 6.5 in the doors backed up by Fosgate 10's behind the seat. Was great for all types of music. When I pick up my Tremor I'll see what kind of space there is behind the seat. I'm 6'2" and don't want to ride the dash again. I like JL also. I used to only rock JL until I moved to Florida. Go to some shops and listen to their set ups. I try not to get stuck on brands now and let my ears pick. I've found some entry level speakers that give competitions a run for their money. I like 10's for sound quality if you're doing subs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
16 Participants
BeachBoost
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing