F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of upgrading to LT tires. I really don't want to pay $200+ for a spare. Is it OK to keep the spare at a 265/60/18 and the LTs be 275/65/18? What would be the downside to having to run a smaller tire in an emergency for a short distance?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well don't use 4x4 or you may really regret it by damaging components. If a rear tire goes swap a front to the rear and put the spare on the front, but don't use 4x4

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well don't use 4x4 or you may really regret it by damaging components. If a rear tire goes swap a front to the rear and put the spare on the front, but don't use 4x4
Not a problem since I don't have a real truck. :p

·
Registered
85 Posts
It won't matter in the front, nor the rear with an open diff. An LSD might be an issue if you have that, not sure how that would behave, trac control May Ping you as well, but you can just turn that off

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Doesn't matter, even if you have an LSD. Put the smaller tire on the rear and run 4x4 all you want.

Reactions: Raiderfan1890

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Not true, different size tires on an axle with a clutch type limited slip will wear the clutches out very quickly.
Context: "What would be the downside to having to run a smaller tire in an emergency for a short distance" - none

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Context: "What would be the downside to having to run a smaller tire in an emergency for a short distance" - none
To be fair you did say to run it all you want.

Certified Internet Warrior. I once ctrl alt del'd a man to death.

Reactions: ford4thot

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
To be fair you did say to run it all you want.

To be literal I said run 4x4 all you want.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
To be literal I said run 4x4 all you want.
Douche

I mean touche

Reactions: n00g7

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Douche

I mean touche

Indeed. Unless you're running a 5-tire rotation the spare is just a spare. Use it as such, for emergencies and short distances. Some people say run it on the front except I have serious concerns with different diameter tires on the front when it comes to braking. Some minor wear on an LSD to get home when you're talking about a 5% difference in OD, not so much.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I belieb you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did this once, 7 miles to the my exit got a flat, I live less then a mile off the exit. Crap running slicks 28 inches tall only have a stock size spare (around 26 inches), can't swap front to rear running skinnies on the front. What to do? Well I put the spare on. Less then 8 miles killed a Ford 8.8 Trac Lok that worked perfect before. Now granted that was a 2 inch size difference but goes to show it doesn't take much. Point is have a proper size spare.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
What were you driving?

Family First

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
No different than compact spares on 99% of vehicles these days.

SPPD

Reactions: MadEcoboost

·
Registered
18 Posts
No different than compact spares on 99% of vehicles these days.

SPPD
True, but most of those vehicles also have an open differential, so it's kind of irrelevant. Not that I care to check but I would venture a guess that most vehicles equipped with a limited slip diff (at least a clutch type) are equipped with a spare that is less then a few percent different in height then the factory equipped tires. I rebuilt that rear and when I pulled it apart the clutches were trashed. I know it worked earlier that night because I was at the track and had done multiple burnouts.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
True, but most of those vehicles also have an open differential, so it's kind of irrelevant. Not that I care to check but I would venture a guess that most vehicles equipped with a limited slip diff (at least a clutch type) are equipped with a spare that is less then a few percent different in height then the factory equipped tires. I rebuilt that rear and when I pulled it apart the clutches were trashed. I know it worked earlier that night because I was at the track and had done multiple burnouts.
So those burnouts didn't cause the wear, it was the smaller tire....I get it now lol.

SPPD

1 - 20 of 51 Posts