F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_2742[1].JPG IMG_2743[1].JPG

I went to rotate my tires and was going to include the spare in the rotation when I discovered the spare may not be a regular tire or rim? Rim looks the same as the others. Tire reads the same as the others. Same size, brand, model, load rating etc, but the rim says "Temporary Use Only" "Max 75 MPH"

Any thoughts Thanks

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Hmmmmm. My guess is that the factory places those stickers on EVERY spare tire regardless of them being a "donut" on passenger cars or full size spares on the trucks and SUV's???
But, to me, that is a regular wheel with a regular tire that shouldn't have any speed or distance restrictions to it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another mystery. I just realized the spare has no wheel weights on either side of the rim. All 4 of the other tires have weights inside and out

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
When has a spare tire EVER been the same as one of the four other that come on a vehicle?

And why would you want to have the spare rotated with the other 4 factory tires? One tire will always be in better shape than the other 4. SMH

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
When has a spare tire EVER been the same as one of the four other that come on a vehicle?

And why would you want to have the spare rotated with the other 4 factory tires? One tire will always be in better shape than the other 4. SMH
My spare tire was exactly the same as the four that were mounted to the wheels, but attached to an ugly generic black steel wheel. ;)

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Another mystery. I just realized the spare has no wheel weights on either side of the rim. All 4 of the other tires have weights inside and out
This could very well be the reason for the stickers then. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2005 F150 and wife's Toyota Highlander both had full size spares on matching rims. By utilizing a 5 tire rotation every 7,000 miles, I got 65,000 on the F150 Michelin's and 50,000 out of the Highlander's Toyo tires. In both cases the tires would still pass inspection, but were starting to get a lot of cracks on the sidewalls. Being on the frugal/cheap side, I hate to waste a perfectly good tire and I don't like the idea of putting a 4-5 year old tire on the road with 3 new ones. Just my preference.

·
Registered
566 Posts
1968 for sure, my Mustang had the same tire and wheel as a spare, oh and I'm sure my '74 Country Sedan aka station wagon had a spare like the rest of the tires and wheels. My '14 F150 has the ugly black wheel with the same size tire as the other four.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
It's a spare for a reason... No TPMS and no balancing.

It's not a heep with a full size spare. And even then I still wouldn't rotate it in. Why rely on an old tire when you have a good new one.

·
1,835 Posts
View attachment 153876 View attachment 153878

I went to rotate my tires and was going to include the spare in the rotation when I discovered the spare may not be a regular tire or rim? Rim looks the same as the others. Tire reads the same as the others. Same size, brand, model, load rating etc, but the rim says "Temporary Use Only" "Max 75 MPH"

Any thoughts Thanks
What a nice little surprise should you ever get curb rash or damage a wheel. Mine came with the same tire as the other 4 but like Elmore it is on a black painted wheel.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Mine is a 13, but get this for what the OEM spare tire is for my rig..

Yes, it's completely different size, LR and on just a steel painted wheel.. The tire itself is a Goodyear Wrangler. The OEM tires were the Bridgestone Revo's or something like that.. But, if you do the tire size 'math', the spare would be just about equal to the other tires actual tire height. So, that's really why they get away with it.

But yeah, that spare in no way has the TPMS on it that would integrate with a 5 tire rotation.. Did your other rigs that you did that with have TPMS on them?

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Mine is the same as Mitchf150 and I have the Black 6 spoke 20 inch wheels factory. I have seen multiple 11-14 over the years which this same steel spare on. That being said, mine is literally rusting on various spots I noticed the other day laying under the truck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The '05 F150 did not have TPMS. The 2010 Highlander had it, but the monitor was just an idiot light. It did not let you know which tire was low, so I do not know if the spare had one. The few times the light came on, it was a tire on the ground that could have been the original spare. I did not track it after the first rotation. I just checked my '18 F150 and the TPMS display does not show the spare. For this reason I think I'll stick with just a 4 tire rotation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you look at the back of the spare rim, you should see a part number stamped into it. You could verify that its the same part number stamped into one of your road wheel rims. If so, you can go by the dealer parts counter, pickup a sensor, than go to a tire shop to have the sensor installed and the wheel balanced, than go ahead with the 5 tire rotation. A TPMS19 transmitter makes it easy to sync up the sensors with their new positions, which you have to do regardless of if you're doing a 4 or 5 tire rotation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good idea about checking the part number. Didn't think to do that. I lucked out and picked up an identical Michelin tire from a 2017 F150. Never been on the ground. Actually made only a few months before my spare. Got it for $50. I'll stick with the 4 tire rotation (admittedly less hassle) and just buy 2 more Michelin's when it's time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts