F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good write-up for removing the spark plugs anywhere? I'm looking to check the gaps on my factory plugs with 4300 miles.

·
Registered
608 Posts
(IMO) If you need a DIY for changing your spark plugs, it's probably best left to the professionals.

I'm not trying to be a dick, really I'm not.

Sent while enjoying a Pabst

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(IMO) If you need a DIY for changing your spark plugs, it's probably best left to the professionals.

I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but I'm certainly not a mechanic. I just need to know some common tips/tricks and things to look out for. I can follow instructions pretty darn well. I could probably do it without one just fine, but every engine has it quirks and parts that are easily broken when doing jobs like this.

For example... Installing a charge pipe and a blow-off valve on my BMW 335i.... Pretty simple, eh? Well the instructions said nothing about the boost tee being plastic and fragile as hell, and it broke right it half. A 1 hour job turned into a 5 hour intake manifold removal and repair.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Is there a good write-up for removing the spark plugs anywhere? I'm looking to check the gaps on my factory plugs with 4300 miles.
You need:
30-45 minutes
8mm socket/wrench
5/8 spark plug socket/extension/wrench
thumbnail or small flat blade screwdriver
spark plug gap checking tool (<== high tech gizmo)

Open hood
Pull negative cable from battery
Remove the oil filler cap
Remove the engine cover
Remove the foam shroud from HPFP
Pick a cylinder to work on:
Remove the bolt with the 8mm socket that holds coil pack to the valve cover
Pull the red retainer clip back, depress the latch (thumbnail or small screw driver) and pull gently to remove the connector from the coil pack
Pull the, now, completely unhooked and loose coil pack straight up and off the plug
Set aside
Pull spark plug with 5/8" spark plug socket/extension/wrench
Check gap
Gently reinsert plug back into head
Finger tighten
Torque to (I might be wrong here) 11 ft/lbs, basically it's just a smidge past finger tight.
Replace coil pack
Replace connector plug
Replace lock down bolt

Lather, Rinse, Repeat for the other five cylinders.

Drivers side up against the fire wall, you have to unplug the HPFP wires to access, same concept, depress the latch and pull gently to remove. Plug everything back in when done. Double check.

Replace the foam shroud.
Replace the Engine Cover
Replace the Filler Cap
Hook up the battery

Gentlemen, Start your engines!

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts

I'm saying a DIY for just everything on the truck. Say anything special you did to your truck that someone else might want to do. Rigid installs etc...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm saying a DIY for just everything on the truck. Say anything special you did to your truck that someone else might want to do. Rigid installs etc...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I see it happening soon, I honestly think this is one of the best forums I've been in. I think it's early but it seems to be going pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's funny I just pulled these out an hour ago due to slight studder at 45 mph... I used the video in link above. The only thing that held me up was the sensor next to the first front drivers side that has to be moved. You have to find the little part on it to push in for the release, also unplugging the coil clips you have to pull the red clip out like the video shows.. but then use a screw driver to push down on the top part of it and pull it away.
The challenge is the acces to the plugs because the truck is so darn tall... I could do it in half the time now that I have done it. I also think this was the fix as I could not duplicate the problem in my little ride I just took, finger crossed it stays that way.

These look pretty nasty though.

Thanks to the poster of the video... it really helped. Gotta love folks that take the time to do things like that to helpus out.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

·
Registered
76 Posts
No none at all.. thanks for the heads up, I did check them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looks simple enough!

You need:
30-45 minutes
8mm socket/wrench
5/8 spark plug socket/extension/wrench
thumbnail or small flat blade screwdriver
spark plug gap checking tool (<== high tech gizmo)

Open hood
Pull negative cable from battery
Remove the oil filler cap
Remove the engine cover
Remove the foam shroud from HPFP
Pick a cylinder to work on:
Remove the bolt with the 8mm socket that holds coil pack to the valve cover
Pull the red retainer clip back, depress the latch (thumbnail or small screw driver) and pull gently to remove the connector from the coil pack
Pull the, now, completely unhooked and loose coil pack straight up and off the plug
Set aside
Pull spark plug with 5/8" spark plug socket/extension/wrench
Check gap
Gently reinsert plug back into head
Finger tighten
Torque to (I might be wrong here) 11 ft/lbs, basically it's just a smidge past finger tight.
Replace coil pack
Replace connector plug
Replace lock down bolt

Lather, Rinse, Repeat for the other five cylinders.

Drivers side up against the fire wall, you have to unplug the HPFP wires to access, same concept, depress the latch and pull gently to remove. Plug everything back in when done. Double check.

Replace the foam shroud.
Replace the Engine Cover
Replace the Filler Cap
Hook up the battery

Gentlemen, Start your engines!

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
So I'm planning on regapping my plugs this weekend, weather depending, but I finally got around to watching the video and he states that he games the new plugs to .84-.94mm?!?!?!?

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
So I'm planning on regapping my plugs this weekend, weather depending, but I finally got around to watching the video and he states that he games the new plugs to .84-.94mm?!?!?!?

Am I missing something?
stick with about 0.030"...
.84 mm = ~ 0.033"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I'm considering replacing the spark plugs myself after having the stall issue this weekend. I believe I can get 5 of the 6 cylinders replaced ok. My issue is with the first cylinder on the drivers side (the one closest to the radiator). There is a black hose that crosses directly above the coil that looks like it will be difficult to move enough to remove the plug. What have others done for that cylinder?

Thanks for the help!

Bill

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I'm considering replacing the spark plugs myself after having the stall issue this weekend. I believe I can get 5 of the 6 cylinders replaced ok. My issue is with the first cylinder on the drivers side (the one closest to the radiator). There is a black hose that crosses directly above the coil that looks like it will be difficult to move enough to remove the plug. What have others done for that cylinder?

Thanks for the help!

Bill
You just have to unplug it. I didn't unplug the boot covering the plug so it was pretty easy. I just moved them out of the way. About an hour to do all six. With some beer drinking while doing it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts