F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few threads about people changing out the plugs at all kinds of different intervals. I have 18k on my 2014 and I'm seeing the gas mileage drop for whatever reason, figured I might as well look into the plugs.

So:
1. Are they easy to do?
2. What kind of plugs would you recommend?
3. Are they pre gapped or do I need to set them?

thanks!!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
It may be winter gas. Lots of guys change them out early and it's not to hard. I haven't done mine and I'm at 20k. Let us know if it helps your MPG.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The truck is straight stock at this point in time. Ran techron through to try and fix the mpg issue but no dice.

still recommend the sp-534 at that gap size?

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Be sure to give the engine plenty of time to cool off too. Like park it at the end of the day and do the swap the next morning when everything is cold (without starting engine at all if you can). Aluminum heads with steel plug threads have different thermal expansion rates. Also, be sure to apply torque as centered as possible on the plug to avoid stressing and snapping the porcelain plug body. You will probably feel some resistance after they break loose, this is typically carbon build up on the plug threads sticking in the threaded hole. Just go slow and steady and you should be fine.

·
Administrator
7,819 Posts
I don't remember what the correct Tq for the plugs, is, but it's not much. Go easy on torque down process.
11 ft/lbs

And my stock plugs were between .042 and .047 when I first regapped them at 5,000 miles. Have done changes at 15K and 30K miles and gapped between .028 and .030.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Has anyone tried E3 spark plugs? I am wanting to replace mine with them and was wondering if anyone has used them before.

·
Administrator
7,819 Posts
Has anyone tried E3 spark plugs? I am wanting to replace mine with them and was wondering if anyone has used them before.
E3, as in the ones in the garden section of stores??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nothing, lots of testimonials everywhere on how expensive they were, did nothing for hp, mpg and generally a waste of money...esp when you have proven products like Densp/NGK out there.
They run about $6 ea. That doesn't seem expensive. I have looked online and found reviews for good and bad results. I need some concrete proof that they are junk. I am looking for any responses from actual users of the plugs.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts