F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
With spark plugs, you want as much of the "flame kernel" exposed in the cylinder, especially with turbocharged engines. And due to the high effective compression ratio when in boost, you also need a tight gap to ensure it sparks and doesn't "blow out".

There have been tons of "gimmicks" (rare metals, multiple straps, split straps ... just to name a few). Few actually work. I personally like an old hot-rodder trick and file back my strap to halfway above the electrode to help expose the flame, and have done this for decades on my spark plugs. This could be why I have had no problems with my NGKs gapped to .025".

My ***** with the E3s - it looks like that complex strap covers more than exposes the flame kernel (using the method above). Also, it looks like it could be difficult to adjust the gap without some special gap tool.

·
Registered
123 Posts
With spark plugs, you want as much of the "flame kernel" exposed in the cylinder, especially with turbocharged engines. And due to the high effective compression ratio when in boost, you also need a tight gap to ensure it sparks and doesn't "blow out".

There have been tons of "gimmicks" (rare metals, multiple straps, split straps ... just to name a few). Few actually work. I personally like an old hot-rodder trick and file back my strap to halfway above the electrode to help expose the flame, and have done this for decades on my spark plugs. This could be why I have had no problems with my NGKs gapped to .025".

My ***** with the E3s - it looks like that complex strap covers more than exposes the flame kernel (using the method above). Also, it looks like it could be difficult to adjust the gap without some special gap tool.
I see what you are saying about the tip being covered. I found out that the e3's are gapped to .040" and are not designed to be adjusted.

·
Administrator
7,772 Posts
They run about $6 ea. That doesn't seem expensive. I have looked online and found reviews for good and bad results. I need some concrete proof that they are junk. I am looking for any responses from actual users of the plugs.
Why not just stick with stock? Again, if it ain't broke or needing upgraded why change??

·
Administrator
7,772 Posts
Is your truck stock? Nothing upgraded? How do you decide what needs upgrading?
My truck has a NAME BRAND 170° thermostat, which is an upgrade due to my tune. A tune, which is an upgrade for more power/better driveability. A catch can, which is preventative maintenance. Any other questions?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the stock plugs in my truck, and I was just wondering if there was a reason to upgrade to something else. I had a couple crack on me.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I have the stock plugs in my truck, and I was just wondering if there was a reason to upgrade to something else. I had a couple crack on me.
All of this is up to you. It is your truck. IMO, the motorcraft plugs have been reported (on here) many times to be best bet, but they need to be gapped properly. They have also been reported on here to be poorly gapped from the factory.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used NGK plugs ( they make them for Ford under the Motorcraft name)
Make sure you splurge on the Laser ones ( duel tip Platinum) and gap them to latest specs !!I changed mine at 90k ( about 55 000 miles) Truck had developed an occasional misfire at highway speeds when passing.
Plugs are easy to change ....esp compared to the nightmare 5.4L engine ( spark plugs seizing into cylinder heads )

·
Registered
940 Posts
never heard about the plugs seizing in the 5.4L ..... but a lot people were getting spark plug blow out and they would shoot out of the cylinder head.

the misfire at highway speeds could also be caused by condensation in the intake system. Which is why people recommend the catch can.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
never heard about the plugs seizing in the 5.4L ..... but a lot people were getting spark plug blow out and they would shoot out of the cylinder head.

the misfire at highway speeds could also be caused by condensation in the intake system. Which is why people recommend the catch can.
Someone named Lisle got rich off of the Tritons. He created a tool to remove all the broken plugs and their remnants from the cylinders. The plugs generally broke in half leaving a portion inside the engine. Very common unfortunately.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
People were buying the lisle tool off ebay for about $70 and use it and when done put it back on ebay to get most of there money back. Myself included. Broke 3.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts