F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
The Motorcraft sp534 spark plugs already have a coating on them to prevent seze'n (how ever the hell you spell it) I've heard if you use antiseze you can end up over tightening them.
Not sure I've heard anyone say not to use dielectric grease though.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I used both the first time I pulled my plugs and replaced the stock ones, but the next 4 times (really just inspecting them after different tunes and octane changes) wasn't necessary. They came out and went in no problem-hot or cold.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
With the interval most of us change our plugs, don't need to put on extra anti-seize, however, just out of habit, I still do, but only a little. Lets me feel the wind in better.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Any specific instructions on setting the gap? I gapped some plugs the other day for a different vehicle and i felt like i really wore away the tip getting it to where it needed to be. I used the circular tool you see at autozone.

I'm planning to gap the sp534's to .30......so do you guys just slide it through and out?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Circular tool? Don't use that piece of shi*-lol
Get a good wire gauge. In my experience after running your plugs around the metal wheel several times damages the electrode tip.
Stock I would gap .030
Tuned is a different story...anywhere from .024-.028 (some go even further down the scale)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Any specific instructions on setting the gap? I gapped some plugs the other day for a different vehicle and i felt like i really wore away the tip getting it to where it needed to be. I used the circular tool you see at autozone.

I'm planning to gap the sp534's to .30......so do you guys just slide it through and out?
I always wondered this too, I just tap the end on a clean surface till it's closed to where I want it, I'm assuming that's the correct way, it's they way I've been doing it for 30 years but wondering if people have a better way

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I always wondered this too, I just tap the end on a clean surface till it's closed to where I want it, I'm assuming that's the correct way, it's they way I've been doing it for 30 years but wondering if people have a better way
Yeah this doesn't seem to damage the tip at all but it assumes that the existing gap is too big (maybe it is) and you want it smaller. I really felt like i damaged the others i put int but they feel to be performing just fine.

Any dealership techs know the proper way?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

Attachments

·
Vendor
7,052 Posts
You should really use a feeler gauge as shown in post above. .030 even on stick tune is a little big and it is what ford calls for now. Stock I would go .028 it will idle better and be smoother.

Tuned with light mods. .026

Heavy mods and tuned and turbos .018-.024.

.018 would be for the heaviest of mods available.

Personally I keep between .021-.022

Smooth as silk :)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Check these bad boys out. Got the truck with 48000 now it has 60000. Not sure when they were changed if ever. They were all between .040 and .050

View attachment 47588
My guess would be never. Those are probably the original plugs. Most owners aren't going to change spark plugs until some service place tells them they have to.

41 - 60 of 123 Posts
About this Discussion
122 Replies
48 Participants
Aandrews109
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing