F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Vendor
7,126 Posts
15 Minutes they said, one hand tied behind my back he said. Wow what an adventure. First all kinds of tubes and wires to detach, then the coil wires would not come off after being unlocked. No problem you can remove the coils with them still attached. Problem, front coil drivers side, disconnected the breather tube from the cam cover and left it connected to the turbo cold air tube. Pulled the coil and hand caught the breather tube and broke the nipple at its base. No fixing. Plug change just cost me another $150 and 2 days down time. Found a lot of oil in the cold air tube and in front of the turbo. We are talking standing oil.
Perhaps just a rough day. Enjoy a beer :)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
On the '14's there are breather tubes from the cam cover like the old time oil breather tube that run into the cool air side of the turbo air supply tubes. They run right over the front plugs and coils both sides.

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
On the '14's there are breather tubes from the cam cover like the old time oil breather tube that run into the cool air side of the turbo air supply tubes. They run right over the front plugs and coils both sides.
Picture?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mines a '13 and I did have to pop off the pcv line on the drivers side, unplug the hpfp, and hold some small vacuum lines out of the way on the passenger side, only added like 45 seconds to the whole job though

·
Registered
13,034 Posts

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
drivers side valve cover to drivers side turbo pipe barb he is referring to
Alright, that makes more sense. When he said breather it threw everything off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Finally got around to doing the plugs. Everything went smoothly and I didn't find anything wrong with the old plugs which is good. All gapped at .34-.35. New ones went in at .30. Not that much of a difference and no noticeable mpg change yet but I'm hoping to get a good interstate run on her and that will tell. Went to Canada and back on the old plugs this weekend and I got 17.6 so that'll be a good comparison point.

Rotated the tires and switched the oil so she's good for a bit.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I wish Autolite would make a copper plug for us.

·
Registered
93 Posts
rbrown, after reading through a bunch of threads (your build thread is too legit to quit btw), I wanted to get your opinion on plugs and a quick question.I have a 2013 Platinum Screw 4x4 6.5 ft bed, with 43K on the clock. I just picked it up last week, it is in great shape. Runs great, looks great, etc. My questions are:

1) What plugs, and what gap should I get for a stock truck? I want to change them and make sure they are gapped correctly.
2) What type of oil and interval would you go for this stock truck?
3) Im looking at adding a catch can ASAP, your thoughts?
4) In general, your opinion on what I should be looking out for maintenance wise. I can tell you I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary(shudder, misfire, timing chain/phaser rattle) etc.

It was owned by a older gentleman that had it serviced locally religiously at the same dealer here in NC where he bought the truck from, and I want to keep up the maintenance as well. I know you have chimed in on all of these questions at some point but since you see, to be the goto I just wanted to go straight to the source. I'm trying to learn as fast as I can because I plan on driving this truck for years to come. Eventually I will start modding, but not while I'm under warranty. I appreciate the time and info.[/QUOTE]​

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts

1) What plugs, and what gap should I get for a stock truck? I want to change them and make sure they are gapped correctly. Motorcraft SP534, gapped to .030-.032
2) What type of oil and interval would you go for this stock truck? Synthetic, and every 3,500-5,000 miles...depending on driving conditions (Stop-and-Go, Towing, Mountains, etc)
3) Im looking at adding a catch can ASAP, your thoughts? It would be a good idea to invest in one if you are planning on keeping your trick for the long haul.
4) In general, your opinion on what I should be looking out for maintenance wise. I can tell you I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary(shudder, misfire, timing chain/phaser rattle) etc. The main two issues with these trucks is condensation in the CAC and spark plugs. It already looks like you know the deal with the plugs. As for the condensation issue, if you are driving and go to merge on an on-ramp or pass someone and the truck falls flat on its face...that is a symptom of Condensation in the CAC. If this happens, I would drill a 1/16" hole in the bottom drivers-side of the CAC. Other than those two, you should not have any problems with this truck. Oh, and don't baby the truck...people that have done that in the past seem to have the most issues.

I am not RBrown, but most people will agree with the statements above.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah I have intentionally been romping on it since I got it and watching for shudder and/or loss of power. I did see some soot out the tailpipe the first few times I beat on it but now it seems to have gone away. I just want to stay ahead of the game as far is maintenance is concerned. I appreciate the feedback for sure, So far I absolutely love the the truck and powerplant. I will eventually start coaxing more power out of it but for now I want to make sure all the preventative maintenance is up to date.

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
That soot is most likely from you cruising along and then you romp on it, causing it to come out of the tail pipe. I notice it alot more running 91 Octane fuel and my 91 performance tune than my winter 87 tow tune and 87 octane.

This is normal.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts