F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
That soot is most likely from you cruising along and then you romp on it, causing it to come out of the tail pipe. I notice it alot more running 91 Octane fuel and my 91 performance tune than my winter 87 tow tune and 87 octane.

This is normal.
I appreciate the info. Now on the selecting a catch can. From the looks of things on this forum everyone has their own opinion. Looking for quality, durability, and ease of operation. Effectiveness is key as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,816 Posts
I appreciate the info. Now on the selecting a catch can. From the looks of things on this forum everyone has their own opinion. Looking for quality, durability, and ease of operation. Effectiveness is key as well.

(Pre-$hit show) RX catch can, UPR Mega Can, or Full Race Can seems to be the consensus.

I personally run a UPR can because of the Customer service from Joe. Any issues or problems I have had in the past 2 and half years has been addressed and dealt with in a timely fashion from him.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I feel like the UPR setup is the easiest to install as well as it comes with all hoses and connections needed. Where did you buy it from? You can get them everywhere

·
Registered
51 Posts
SP-534
Gapped to .028 with a tune
If fully modded with turbos I gap at .021
15 min job with one hand behind your back.
No anti-seize, no di-electric grease

Easy peasy done;)
Is it safe to run 0.28 without a tune? Gunna change mine in the near future I just bought plugs today. Tune is in the near future; more curious if that gap is satisfactory for the time being.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Is it safe to run 0.28 without a tune? Gunna change mine in the near future I just bought plugs today. Tune is in the near future; more curious if that gap is satisfactory for the time being.

Yeah its safe. You can actually mess around with the gap to find where she likes it best. .028-.030 seems to work pretty good.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,816 Posts
Yeah its safe. You can actually mess around with the gap to find where she likes it best. .028-.030 seems to work pretty good.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Since there hasn't been a new thread on spark plugs lately, I'm sure one will pop up. Maybe stating it here will keep another useless thread from being created.

New guy: Hey, just rolled over 90K miles and got a misfire code. I assume I need to change out the spark plugs. What plugs should I get?

Annoyed Forum Members: SP534, gapped to .028-.030

New guy: Ok, even though you just stated to gap to .028-.030...why not just close the gap tighter, wouldn't that eliminate misfires and rough idles altogether?

Annoyed Forum Members: SMH...wish Ford4Thot was still around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just changed mine at 130,000 miles. They were worn and had .035 to .045 gap with rounded electrodes. I set the gap at .028 and have put 5000 miles on them. No misfires and it idles smoother. Stomp the pedal and it pulls hard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
After having confirmed that I needed a weep hole in the CAC and having done so, it was time to check the plugs.

Old plugs a 48k miles.

Gap was around .042 and I'm off today sooooo. New plugs and boots, gapped at .028. We'll see how it plays out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry if this has been answered already, but I recently added SCT Livewire TS to my truck and wanted to know if I should change my plugs to a colder step or smaller gap? I bought the truck 2 years ago at 27k miles, changed plugs with OEM FOMOCO ones then. Should I change this semi new plugs now? I have 57k miles now. Thanks

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sorry if this has been answered already, but I recently added SCT Livewire TS to my truck and wanted to know if I should change my plugs to a colder step or smaller gap? I bought the truck 2 years ago at 27k miles, changed plugs with OEM FOMOCO ones then. Should I change this semi new plugs now? I have 57k miles now. Thanks
Yes you should sp534 gapped to 0.28-0.3 every 15k max

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thank you very much. Got some ordered

·
Registered
46 Posts
Changed my plugs yesterday. 116,500 and was still running very well. Started having some minor misfiring when started in the morning and at higher RPM's. Here's a picture of the old plugs that were all gapped between .040 to .045. IMG_3964.JPG

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Where's Mike Rowe! If that is your first spark plug change...umm their better be a Ford promo commercial coming your way.....staring you and your Boost-?!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
He's been a member for a loooong time!

We should know so much more about this truck than we do. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bought it new in January of '13. A lot of highway miles and as much as possible Chevron gas. Until a little over a month ago, my commute to work was 20 miles on the highway each way. It's been a really good truck. Only issue has been a heater core issue at about 80,000 miles. Other than that, nothing other that normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Changed my plugs yesterday. 116,500 and was still running very well. Started having some minor misfiring when started in the morning and at higher RPM's. Here's a picture of the old plugs that were all gapped between .040 to .045. View attachment 157256

Your misfire was probably caused by the wide gap. Stock, your gap was probably closer to .035 (mine was). But over time, the gap will widen, which boosted engines don't like (unlike N/A engines, which do like a wide gap).

I bet if you tightened your gap under .030, those plugs would run just fine. I personally prefer and use .025". The truck runs smooth and the narrow gap gives me some leeway when the gap starts to widen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm sure the gap definitely increased over time. I used SP534's as replacements and set the new plugs at .028. Haven't had a chance to lean on it yet, but just general driving is definitely improved.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts