F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Right after purchase since all my gaps were wrong from ford...

Reactions: scap99

·
Registered
197 Posts
What is the spec gap?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Supposedly if you have a '13 they come gapped correctly at .32-.34

Anyone have a '13 that didn't?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I think Ford recommends 100k for sparkplug replacement.

SPPD

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I was thinking, and heard a lot off ppl that torture this truck do first. My truck idles smooth and pulls great. I just hate the lag time.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
That's what I was thinking, and heard a lot off ppl that torture this truck do first. My truck idles smooth and pulls great. I just hate the lag time.
That's a turbo charged engine for you. Although compared to my previous TC vehicles the lag is very minimal on my EcoBeast.

SPPD

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I think Ford recommends 100k for sparkplug replacement.

SPPD
However, due to the different metals between the spark plug (steel) and head (aluminum), it is best to "crack" the plugs every 20K to ensure they don't seize in the head, and don't build up a ton of carbon at the end of the threads near the electrode, that can break loose when the time to actually change the plugs come.

Also, it gives a chance to look at the plugs and see if there are any "variations" between the cylinders. I would normally say "and read the plugs for proper combustion" ... but I already know what they will look like ... BLACK ... BLACKER THAN OUR TAILPIPES!

Just imagine what they can look like at 100K.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Found another thread here on spark plugs, Ecoboost Spark Plugs - I Hope This Helps by Swenson6462 Interesting read. Refers to the Brisk racing plugs used in the ecoboost

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Found another thread here on spark plugs, Ecoboost Spark Plugs - I Hope This Helps by Swenson6462 Interesting read. Refers to the Brisk racing plugs used in the ecoboost
Link doesn't work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Link doesn't work.
Sorry, it is not a link ,that is the title to the thread. Wasnt sure how to bring that up to make life easy may have to put that title into the search button. Maybe someone can help and link this thread so all can navigate

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks 6IX, what was the secret to posting this into a link

·
Registered
838 Posts
Why dont some of the tuners chime in??? Plugs and gaps and how often to recheck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Before I loaded my custom tune, I bought new Motorcraft SP534's and gapped them to .028. When I pulled the plugs out of my 2013, all were gapped to .030 which is what the factory recommends. I was pleasantly surprised since I had read about so many being inconsistent. When tuned, it's often best to decrease the gap to prevent blow out during high boost. I know a lot of guys are gapped down to .025 and some have to gap at .032. My truck likes .028, idles super smooth at cold start and hot. I just ordered Brisk racing plugs at the factory heat setting and will gap those to .028 and see how they perform. A lot of very good reviews of these plugs on tuned engines.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Every 20k I would change them. I had to fight to break my loose at 20k. All gapped around. 035 replaced with sp534 gaped .030

1 - 18 of 18 Posts