F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost, 4x4, 157” wheelbase
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the catted downpipes with the stock exhaust. Is there anything to be gained by doing this? I also plan on deleting my resonator.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Throttle response, quicker spool up, more turbo sound…
What year truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
764 Posts
I guess it depends on where you live...I went catted with Full-Race and STILL had to use adapters to get the CEL to not be an issue. All good now...or, then...anyway...sigh

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
749 Posts
I am looking at the catted downpipes with the stock exhaust. Is there anything to be gained by doing this? I also plan on deleting my resonator.
I’ve had these for 5 months and no CEL. Very good dp’s highly recommend. You will gain the above stated but also different sound. It’ll be a more gargly, throaty, unrefined sound, but paired with the right muffler (stock is good) it’ll sound great. I had the stock muffler with resonator delete and the downpipes for a little. I eventually wanted more sound, but it’s a pretty good combo.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had catted originally, and had an intermittent CEL. Had my local muffler shop cut out the cats, and added adapters - no CEL since. I also LOVE the sound, but it certainly isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost, 4x4, 157” wheelbase
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the comments! One more question, is a cold air intake system worth the money or should I just keep my stock setup with a high flow filter?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. Turbo whistle? Add a CAI. Performance? Skip it.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Without a tune you will only notice more turbo whistle. Stock tune won’t let you make more power.

A tune will be needed to capitalize on the downpipes. But don’t expect astronomical gains.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
749 Posts
Thank you all for the comments! One more question, is a cold air intake system worth the money or should I just keep my stock setup with a high flow filter?
As said already. The turbo sound IMO is worth it. And if you do a tune the sound will be even louder. You’ll love it I think.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Without a tune you will only notice more turbo whistle. Stock tune won’t let you make more power.

A tune will be needed to capitalize on the downpipes. But don’t expect astronomical gains.
Man that stinks…I remember tuning the imports back in the day (especially turbo cars) and down pipe and exhaust alone with no tune would get you moving…

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Man that stinks…I remember tuning the imports back in the day (especially turbo cars) and down pipe and exhaust alone with no tune would get you moving…

Yeah, those were the days. You’d be amazed about what goes on behind the scenes of these engines. It’s truly incredible what Ford did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts