F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speed limiter will not allow vehicle to go over 100 mph. How do I unlock speed limiter without voiding warranty?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I recently found this out also..you have to have it removed with some sort of hand held tuner or equivelant. Will it void the warranty that all depends and is debatable. I know this doesnt help much but I guess the short answer is yes you can unlock the limiter and it could void some portion of your warranty if found out...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Haha yea that would suck...then you might have an issue if you try to do a warranty claim...

you: Hey my tires came apart!!
Dealer: Well how'd that happen??
You: Well I took off my speed limiter and ran it up to about 120mph
Dealer: Thanks for playing....

lol

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Just a heads up on the speed limiter, Some handheld tuners and custom tunes will remove it, since you loaded a tune expect the dealer to void the warranty. Most dealers are just looking for reasons to void your warranty. Keep in mind the speed limiter is there because of driveshaft speed, so if you remove the limiter you may want a driveshaft safety loop. Going 100+ down an on ramp isnt going to give you any issues, but we have customers in open areas (Montana comes to mind) that tell us they set the cruise control at 115+, this is where the driveshaft may come visit you in the cab of your truck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yup, I forgot about the driveshaft. I did notice that many of the OEM tires are rated "S" which is 112 mph, the Pirellis are "S" rated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Actually auto Manufacturers speed limiters are based more on tire speed rating than anything else, and they have to find a happy medium between the load rating of the tires, the speed rating, ride comfort and noise (both tire and road) like 1fastbob states, the speed rating of the tires that ford supplies is "t" which is 113mph, the load index is 111 which is 2400lbs, more of one of these gets you less of another!

·
Registered
229 Posts
SCT programmer solves that problem for you! Had mine over 100:D

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was looking into one of the major Tuners program, and their policy is to leave the Ford Factory Limits in place including RPM and MPH. This is said to be done to keep the limiters with in warranty specs.

Maybe it is a matter of you can remove the tune without any tale/tale signs, but any out of spec recordings IE: over speed or rev will become data logged. And lets face it, the truck is built in the shape of a cinder block you would think that handling at speeds would be a little squirrely at some point. Or toss in a Texas or Kansas style cross wind and you may just end up in the Enchanted Land of OZ.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was looking into one of the major Tuners program, and their policy is to leave the Ford Factory Limits in place including RPM and MPH. This is said to be done to keep the limiters with in warranty specs.

Maybe it is a matter of you can remove the tune without any tale/tale signs, but any out of spec recordings IE: over speed or rev will become data logged. And lets face it, the truck is built in the shape of a cinder block you would think that handling at speeds would be a little squirrely at some point. Or toss in a Texas or Kansas style cross wind and you may just end up in the Enchanted Land of OZ.

Yeah my old truck topped out at 132mph and cross winds would make it float LOL. But hey if any of you guys/gals do catch one of those winds flying low and end up here instead of Oz don't sweat I always have cool drinks and hot coffee on hand and we can chat about your trip next to camp fire as I would love to know where the EcoBoost topped out at! ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you went 132 in a truck then you are crazy and have way bigger knutz than I do. 132 is reserved for my Corvette and 100 is plenty fast in the Ecoboost.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My only rebuttal:

There are a ton of flat, straight and sometimes downhill stretches with good pavement up here. If one is not paying attention to EcoBeast's speedo, one could quickly be having a conversation with an Alaska State Trooper.

Not saying I've been there...she does have a tendency to accelerate on her own if not paid attention to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you went 132 in a truck then you are crazy and have way bigger knutz than I do. 132 is reserved for my Corvette and 100 is plenty fast in the Ecoboost.
Easy bob don't want another pair of underwear going out but yeah had a long open road and hit it for a second than came back down just to see the limits lol but I'm with ya those top speeds are reserved for the Stang and bike (which I don't have either anymore lol). It was just nice to have the ability to pass on long straight always that had a road jam packed with RVs doing sight seeing and not pulling off the road.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Easy bob don't want another pair of underwear going out but yeah had a long open road and hit it for a second than came back down just to see the limits lol but I'm with ya those top speeds are reserved for the Stang and bike (which I don't have either anymore lol). It was just nice to have the ability to pass on long straight always that had a road jam packed with RVs doing sight seeing and not pulling off the road.
I second that AK....I know 100mph is moving for a pick up but sometimes those slow movers jam things up good. would be nice to not worry about the limiter when I'm passing 3,4,5 cars at a time cuz there doing 50 and won't pass eachother. very few double lane highways around here.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I second that AK....I know 100mph is moving for a pick up but sometimes those slow movers jam things up good. would be nice to not worry about the limiter when I'm passing 3,4,5 cars at a time cuz there doing 50 and won't pass eachother. very few double lane highways around here.
Totally with you Brother. You and I are in the same country style of living no doubt LOL. If we had the extra lanes I really would care as much but man when you get that small window of opening to pass the convoy and get back on schedule its just nice to have the ability without question. Don't get me wrong love people coming and visiting and seeing the beautiful sites always welcomed just wish they would remember the smaller lane roads and affects it has on traffic (Actually AK has a law because it gets so bad that if you are the lead vehicle and there are five vehicle behind you, you have to pull over and allow the convoy to pass) LOL.

But here is a picture of what FX4 and I are talking about and why a little extra speed to get around it all on the limited passing spots wouldn't be so bad... :)
View attachment 673

·
Registered
495 Posts
Unless you plan to run sustained speeds in excess of 120 then the tires are a non issue short stints won't bother um. As for the Drive shaft if these trucks have a one piece unit I wouldn't be concerned about that either on short stints. If they still have a carrier bearing even on short blasts it would be OK as long as truck is mechanically sound. Sustained runs then it may be an issue.
I have removed the speed limiter on my 94 lightining and trust me it will exceed 100 with ease however it is a truck and even as a sport truck it does not feel real sporty at those speeds. Thought the Eco is new and much smoother I don't want to be driving it at high speeds for extended periods as it is a truck and pretty much drives and handles like a truck. Besides we have 3 Mustangs to "go fast" in the Eco is all about styling and profiling. LOL!
Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Two lane road and three cattle hauling semi's bumper to bumper doing 55, I wish I could have done more than 100 mph but you know it wouldn't have hurt me to slow down and enjoy the scenery and made some better gas milage; but without the twin screws I wouln't have had the power to get past them. So in answer to "can you disable the speed limiter, yes you can" but slowing down to enjoy life wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Two lane road and three cattle hauling semi's bumper to bumper doing 55, I wish I could have done more than 100 mph but you know it wouldn't have hurt me to slow down and enjoy the scenery and made some better gas milage; but without the twin screws I wouln't have had the power to get past them. So in answer to "can you disable the speed limiter, yes you can" but slowing down to enjoy life wouldn't hurt either.
It is always nice to slow down and enjoy the view around you. And smell the roses.....but that can be hard to do behind three cattle trailers. They have a smell all of there own.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Lol! Yeah that smell would be rough... I enjoy the view just not stop and go 30 than 50 than stop than 30 again stuff... Short burst is all I need or ever do lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
13 Participants
AK-KingBoost
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing