F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 regular cab 4x4 with the 2.7ecoboost. I have a SCT x4 being returned from ACT (would not communicate to update). How does custom tuning woRk wiTh tHe sport mode button?

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
It's just a setting where shift strategies are optimized for towing.

There seems to be q common misconception that tow haul does not function and is not necessary when you have a tow tune.

Which isn't true. It does work and would be just as necessary as it would be on the stock tune.

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you have a race or high performance tube you need to check with tuner about tow haul. It's not recommended to tow with the race tunes so when in tow haul it just puts trans tune to stock. If it's a tow tune it will have a more aggressive shifting and down shifting for engine braking. What tune do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Don't tow with a performance tune. Tow with a tow tune. But the tow haul mode still affects shifting strategies the same way it ever did. Does with my unleashed tune. Does with my bcb tunes. Did with my 5* tunes. When driving in the mountains in a performance tune I am in tow haul mode. It is certainly not stock shifting.

And in a tow tune, tow haul mode is still better suited for towing than normal mode.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can only comment on my race tune from MPT, they make tow haul mode stock shift strategy. Their tow tune had tow haul function the regular way. To OP just double check with your tuner what your tow haul mode does on your specific tune to be sure.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you have a race or high performance tube you need to check with tuner about tow haul. It's not recommended to tow with the race tunes so when in tow haul it just puts trans tune to stock. If it's a tow tune it will have a more aggressive shifting and down shifting for engine braking. What tune do you have?

running the 91 performance from torrie

·
Registered
149 Posts
running the 91 performance from torrie
I would just double check with Torrie to see what difference the tow haul does for your specific tune and if he recommends actually towing with it and how much weight you can safely tow if any.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
If you're gonna tow, you should definitely just flash to stock or use a tow tune. I guarantee Torrie will advise against towing with it. He told me not to tow with my first revision, which was conservative. Unless it's just like a sofa or something light.

·
Vendor
128 Posts
It's just a setting where shift strategies are optimized for towing.

There seems to be q common misconception that tow haul does not function and is not necessary when you have a tow tune.

Which isn't true. It does work and would be just as necessary as it would be on the stock tune.

mwemaxxowner is spot on! Same power and torque gains in tow/haul but a shift strategy designed to tow at max capacity. Also works quite well when you want added engine braking.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
mwemaxxowner is spot on! Same power and torque gains in tow/haul but a shift strategy designed to tow at max capacity. Also works quite well when you want added engine braking.
Really well!

I've used it driving through NC mountains unloaded and it was more comfortable than driving in normal mode.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I can only comment on my race tune from MPT, they make tow haul mode stock shift strategy. Their tow tune had tow haul function the regular way. To OP just double check with your tuner what your tow haul mode does on your specific tune to be sure.

I ordered:

93 PR-X High Boost
93 PR-X High Boost Stock Trans (this will start out as my daily driver tune)
93 Performance Tow

They also make the Perf/Tow tune with stock transmission strategies. I'm going to try the altered shift points first, and may have them redo it if I don't like the firmer and higher shift points when towing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts