F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding TSB on humidity issue. I had at 70K experienced that misfire issue with NO Codes . Went to Ford a few times to check issue. Finally got the Intercooler updated only to have the same problem occuring. The problem is when accelerating under heavy throttle no payload trans shifts to 2nd gear & sputters to 6000rpm shifts & sputters again .
I have taken tech for a ride with code reader in truck while testing but no codes are thrown but truck sputters. Once while sputtering (no tech in truck at time) trick had NO POWER foot to floor truck bareley made it up a hill, took foot off gas cruised for a minute then everything was fine except sputtering. Ford has replaced plugs , Spark plug boots cost of $171.00, still have the problem. Am now at 103000 K not fixed. Going in once again to Ford. I have talked to loyalty dept ,ford techs & they are all stumped. Anybody else with same issues?

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Never heard of the issue being the extensive. I've only heard of the very minor shutter with condensation build up.

Maybe aftermarket tune / intercooler? Sucks hat the factory parts aren't working right for you...

·
Registered
6 Posts
That really sucks bro, the only thing this reminds me if is the MAP sensor going out on my ranger awhile back. We crawled up to 5000 ft above sea level and had no power and the truck sputtered and could barely stay running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the same issue a few times in the past week. In all cases, I was decelerating to less than 20mph, then attempted to accelerate at WOT. The truck stuttered abruptly, then the CEL flashed and power delivery was almost nonexistent. Needless to say, I'm not too excited about the factory tune, if it's going into limp mode due to high humidity. Living in NC, that could mean terrible performance for half the year.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I do not know if the ecoboost still has this technology or an equivalent, but we had a car that lost power like that and sputtered when you got on it. It was a defective pvc valve. Once replaced, the car acted normal. Maybe something similar?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sputtering

Yes I got the same thing with only 30k miles. Took to Ford twice and they replaced sparkplugs and said dont be surprised if there is a recall for a different plug...They changed all 6 this time so well see how long it lasts....love this truck but very disapointed with this problem,,,especially since there are so many others with this problem. Told it is humidity...hello I live in the south...DUH

Regarding TSB on humidity issue. I had at 70K experienced that misfire issue with NO Codes . Went to Ford a few times to check issue. Finally got the Intercooler updated only to have the same problem occuring. The problem is when accelerating under heavy throttle no payload trans shifts to 2nd gear & sputters to 6000rpm shifts & sputters again .
I have taken tech for a ride with code reader in truck while testing but no codes are thrown but truck sputters. Once while sputtering (no tech in truck at time) trick had NO POWER foot to floor truck bareley made it up a hill, took foot off gas cruised for a minute then everything was fine except sputtering. Ford has replaced plugs , Spark plug boots cost of $171.00, still have the problem. Am now at 103000 K not fixed. Going in once again to Ford. I have talked to loyalty dept ,ford techs & they are all stumped. Anybody else with same issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my F150 Ecoboost about 3 months ago, drove it to PA one day during a rain storm and high humidity. About 2 hours into the trip, i went to pass a vehicle and got the misfire and loss of power. Stepped off the gas and applied pressure to the gas pedal, everything was fine. Told the dealership about this and one guy said no problem bring it in. Took it in yesterday and told the service manager about it and he told me they won't fix it b/c it didn't throw any codes. So i am wondering if i should call another dealership and ask them about it. I only have 5K miles on my truck and it only did it one time. But in the mornings, i do notice it does sputter on occassion when taking off.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I bought my F150 Ecoboost about 3 months ago, drove it to PA one day during a rain storm and high humidity. About 2 hours into the trip, i went to pass a vehicle and got the misfire and loss of power. Stepped off the gas and applied pressure to the gas pedal, everything was fine. Told the dealership about this and one guy said no problem bring it in. Took it in yesterday and told the service manager about it and he told me they won't fix it b/c it didn't throw any codes. So i am wondering if i should call another dealership and ask them about it. I only have 5K miles on my truck and it only did it one time. But in the mornings, i do notice it does sputter on occassion when taking off.
Here is the latest updated fix from Ford on the issue you are speaking of. Write down the TSB number and take your truck in for service.

TSB 13-8-1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info jonrjen, I will tell them about this TSB, however until my truck throws a code they won't do crap to it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You did not say if your truck is a 2013 or 2013. Now this TSB address "some 2012" vehicles, however there were a number of 2013 trucks built in 2012 that still have the old style inter cooler. This TSB also states that the vehicle may or MAY NOT throw a code, and then list the steps for the service tech to follow to go deeper into the computers memory and logging to search for symptoms that may be present.

If your service dept refuses to look at your truck, tell them you want to be put in contact with the service manager. If he gives you the same song and dance, request a contact number to get in contact with the regional territory Service Advisor. Push comes to shove you can also contact Ford Direct at their 1-800 number for Customer Service and request assistance.

Word of advise, be nice, take notes of names, dates, times and description of matters discussed. DO NOT Threaten with legal action or bring up the word attorney as this will shut down any assistance from whom ever you maybe speaking with.

The stumble is a know matter which has been addressed with the proper government agency who has brought the matter to Ford and made it public. Ford is working on a fix. Is this latest TSB the answer, I don't know, but we can hope.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ours is a 2012 model sold in 8 of 12 and it has the updated part installed from FORD. Not sure on build date but it is prior to 8 /2012 as its in service date is 8/12. We purchased as repo with 3500 mi on it as far as we know not been in for tsb upgrade as we went to my buddy at local dealer and researched its service data. It seems it was mfgd with updated part.
Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 fx4 ecoboost and I had the same problem..took it in they replaced the intercooler and left side converter and some other stuff...ur intercooler is building up moisture and sending moisture to ur mass airflow sensor which is causing the sputter...they will replace the intercooler with a new redesigned intercooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah that is what i thought too, however when i took the truck in to get my oil changed, the guy told me they won't fix it until it throughs a code. even though there are TSBs stating the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After mine sputtering several times, it finally through a code this morning on the way to work... Darn near got rearended by traffic... Appointment at Dealer on Friday 9-6-13 to see if they can fix it.... Was curious if anyone has tried to run a hotter plug to cure this issue? Or even if the ones that have tunes.. do they have the same issues as the non-tuned? I notice alot of soot build up in my tail pipe do to an extreme rich condition. I did ask the dealer and they said it was normal...... They wouldn't define normal for me..LOL..

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2012 had the same "misfire" occur after a day long cruise at 78mph. I was on an exit ramp at 30mph for 30 or so seconds, back on the highway, kicked in the turbos and she fell flat on her face. The engine did not quit, but could barely accelerate at all. After 15-20 seconds of this condition she was well on her way and have not had the "misfire" again. I am taking the truck into my local dealer for service next week, also I have a hard shift when shifting up from 2nd to 3rd, could the two conditions be related? I find it hard to believe an air deflector could cause the "misfire".

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2011 did the sputtering thing and every time I went ot the dealer to have oil change or any other service, I ask them to check the sputtering problem. The last time I went in for a problem with the electric power steering, I ask again. A different service person wrote the ticket this time and with a little research, he called and said that they (Ford) was going to replace my CAC (Intercooler). Since then, no more Sputtering at any throttle range. Especially WOT. I really like my truck again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got my truck a 2011. Should I be on the lookout for this issue? If so what is causing the problem (i know moisture) but why/ how? coming from the high performance diesel world I have never heard of an issue with moisture buildup in an ic. Why is it building up and what does the new Ic do to fix the issue? It cant drain it or boost would suffer so how does it get rid of the moisture?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have experienced the issue one time, for me it is somewhat of an isolated incident. My Eco is headed into the local Ford store tomorrow for a few minor issues, tranny not shifting smooth and vacuum pump noise. I do not really care if the "hesitation" is repaired or not, but I do want to go on record for the issue. Other than that it may be the best pickup I have owned in 40+ years. Maybe Ford does have a better idea?

·
Registered
91 Posts
They did not officially fix these issues until the updates happened in early 2013 around april i believe. Updated turbos, electronic blow off valve, and new CAC design.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
31 Participants
Tuner Boost
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing