F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to gauge interest in packages beyond the existing package we sell for the 3.5 Ecoboost. Let's call all of the stuff listed previously Stage 1, meaning GT Turbos and everything on the exhaust side, plus intercooler, plugs and tune. That is Stage 1 and will get you to 450rwhp safely.

How safe:
· 18.5lbs of boost max
· 12.6 AFR on the hit and richening up to 11.3 AFR for the top 1000 RPM
· 0 degrees of timing on the hit, 3 degrees of timing at the torque peak (still hits 505lb/ft+ torque), and 10.5 degrees of total timing max.

A note on our dyno numbers:

1. We dyno HOT, meaning the nice big number that shows up on the first pull, we throw away. Our setup that dynos 450rwhp consistently, dyno's 462rwhp on the first pull. We throw that out and proceed to do 3-4 more pulls back to back to back to ensure the numbers are consistent.

2. We use the SAE standard, it is stingy, I could post up 472rwhp numbers today if I wanted to. If I let the truck cool 5 mins between each run AND reported numbers in STD, our kit is already at 470rwhp.

Let’s get back to what might be of interest going forward: For the Horsepower junkie who wants a daily driver reliable package and wants to leave no stone unturned I am thinking of offering the following:

Stage 2: CAI, Charge Pipes, Throttle Body, Ported Intake Manifold: Estimate: 470rwhp
  • The idea here is to make sure every ounce of air that can make it into the heads gets there.
Stage 3: Ported Cylinder Heads and a detune to keep it at or under 500rwhp.
  • Given what we know about the stock heads, and how Ford continues to improve them (Gen 2 Ecoboost Raptor heads and manifolds which currently won’t work on our trucks) we can safely say 500rwhp+ is the target. In fact, it will likely require a detune in order to keep it safe.
Let’s touch on the Fuel system: Will it keep up? We are going to confirm but let me share why I think it will work at this level: Pumping losses. Much like a supercharger causes parasitic losses as it drives the supercharger belt, there is extra effort required to push the air through constrictive passages. This shows up as pumping losses or horsepower wasted to pump unproductively vs spent showing up at the rear wheels. I believe the engine will trade horsepower currently wasted/spent driving the turbos and pushing the air, and some portion that was previously spent pumping, will instead show up at the rear wheels.

Who’s interested? We are constantly testing and trying new parts and trying to make that learning available to our customers.

Who’s in? 😊

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
will you sell parts separately? Would be interested in ported intake manifold and charge pipes if they are larger dia, aluminum, and can be ceramic coated (yeah I know the plastic/abs ones offer better heat transfer). I have most of the other stuff gathering up in my garage.

I do like the idea of different stages though...offers a nice, easy way to upgrade as money/needs grow/change. :)

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will you sell parts separately? Would be interested in ported intake manifold and charge pipes if they are larger dia, aluminum, and can be ceramic coated (yeah I know the plastic/abs ones offer better heat transfer). I have most of the other stuff gathering up in my garage.

I do like the idea of different stages though...offers a nice, easy way to upgrade as money/needs grow/change. :)
Sure we will sell parts individually. The manifold R&D is starting and the pipes we will share more as they develop. Throttle body and CAI is off the shelf, just want to confirm what works.

WWFG03: If you are in Dallas and can make it to Fort Worth you should come check us out sometime!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Jerry, I ALWAYS follow what you post with great interest.

I admire that you are willing to risk YOUR engine to show us what is possible and what is not.

Unfortunately, that personal situation that I discussed earlier with you, sadly looks like it is going ballistic. I am still trying to "play with you" - but that may not be possible due to a change in priorities.

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any more info about the ported intake manifold? Would love to hear more about this....actually would love to buy this. :)
Still working it, it is not looking promising though. In terms of what can be done that is tangible and involves small to medium amounts of effort: nothing. The only options we are exploring involve major amounts of effort. If they don't pan out it will get shelved and chalked up to more R&D and learning.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hey Jerry,

Does the 2017 standard ecoboost engine share the same heads as the Raptor?
Im just trying to figure out whats different between the motors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts