F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader, first time poster...

I've gone from a 2013 f150 (3.5 ecoboost) with 75k miles to a 2018 f150 (3.5 ecoboost) with 35k miles.

I had to all kinds of troubles with my 2013 ecoboost. I had a cracked piston which required a new short block. Transmission speed sensor went go out - sucks when your truck drops from 6th gear to 1st gear at 60mph. Had the timing chain issue (had to be replaced with upgraded cam phasers and tensioners). I finally had enough and sold it and went for a second generation 3.5 ecoboost in hopes these issues had been fixed.

Well, now my 2018 f150 (3.5 ecoboost) is starting to make the rattle sound. I wanted yalls opinion on this. Does this sound like a timing chain rattle or wastegate arm rattle. I keep reading that wastegate arm rattles and its normal. This don't sound normal to me - thoughts?

·
Registered
282 Posts

I've gone from a 2013 f150 (3.5 ecoboost) with 75k miles to a 2018 f150 (3.5 ecoboost) with 35k miles.

I had to all kinds of troubles with my 2013 ecoboost. I had a cracked piston which required a new short block. Transmission speed sensor went go out - sucks when your truck drops from 6th gear to 1st gear at 60mph. Had the timing chain issue (had to be replaced with upgraded cam phasers and tensioners). I finally had enough and sold it and went for a second generation 3.5 ecoboost in hopes these issues had been fixed.

Well, now my 2018 f150 (3.5 ecoboost) is starting to make the rattle sound. I wanted yalls opinion on this. Does this sound like a timing chain rattle or wastegate arm rattle. I keep reading that wastegate arm rattles and its normal. This don't sound normal to me - thoughts?

You sure that's not a 19? The first couple seconds does not sound like anything my truck does. It stopped pretty quick tho.

·
Registered
4 Posts

That's the timing chain. I just had mine replaced on my 2017 3.5 with 35k on it. They swapped the chain, phasers, and the tensioners on mine. It was diagnosed as a stretched chain. Mine would only make the noise if it sat for 8+ hours. It wouldn't do it again after the first cold start. All work was under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,869 Posts
That's the timing chain. I just had mine replaced on my 2017 3.5 with 35k on it. They swapped the chain, phasers, and the tensioners on mine. It was diagnosed as a stretched chain. Mine would only make the noise if it sat for 8+ hours. It wouldn't do it again after the first cold start. All work was under warranty.

Just curious, since yours was relatively low mileage. Are you considering any maintenance strategy as a response? That's got to be kill-joy scenario on such a fresh truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just curious, since yours was relatively low mileage. Are you considering any maintenance strategy as a response? That's got to be kill-joy scenario on such a fresh truck.

Mine had 35k. I'm not sure if any changes to the maintenance schedule would help. I am thinking of changing the oil well before the computer says its due. I used synthetic in it since new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help guys. That's what I figured, really sucks, but at least it's under warranty. Wish Ford could get this straight - it's a shame bc otherwise I really enjoy the truck.

Do yall know if the repair upgrades the cam phasers/tensioner/chain/etc? I mean, is this supposed to fix it for good?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. That's what I figured, really sucks, but at least it's under warranty. Wish Ford could get this straight - it's a shame bc otherwise I really enjoy the truck.

Do yall know if the repair upgrades the cam phasers/tensioner/chain/etc? I mean, is this supposed to fix it for good?
I'm not sure if they put upgraded parts in. They initially tried just chain and phasers but I guess it made some other noise after start so they tore it back down to replace the tensioner(s) as well. They had the truck for awhile getting the work done. I guess it's not all that common but I recorded the sound and stopped by unannounced to listen to the truck after it sat for a day or longer. They tried saying they couldn't duplicate the noise but when I went there unannounced it magically made it and they admitted there was something wrong. There's a few posts on here about it and it seems like it's happening at the 30k mile mark so I'm guessing we'll start seeing them fail more as the miles add up. I'm hoping it's fixed for good but only time will tell. If I can track down the repair work I'll post it on here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2018 with just shy of 30k miles and mine is rattling every time if it has sat for 6 hours or more. I have around 20 videos recorded of it rattling so the dealer doesn't give me the runaround when I take it in. I also have a very noticeable ticking noise that can be heard inside the cab when idling. Rough idle at times and down on power. My buddy asked me if I had the new diesel in it when he noticed the ticking. Truck is also down on power. Calling tomorrow to set up appointment. As a Ford employee I am beyond pissed as they were supposed to have this issue figured out. My 13 with 75k also had the timing chain, tensioner and cam phasers go bad.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
2018 with just shy of 30k miles and mine is rattling every time if it has sat for 6 hours or more. I have around 20 videos recorded of it rattling so the dealer doesn't give me the runaround when I take it in. I also have a very noticeable ticking noise that can be heard inside the cab when idling. Rough idle at times and down on power. My buddy asked me if I had the new diesel in it when he noticed the ticking. Truck is also down on power. Calling tomorrow to set up appointment. As a Ford employee I am beyond pissed as they were supposed to have this issue figured out. My 13 with 75k also had the timing chain, tensioner and cam phasers go bad.
I hear ya man, I'm not even a Ford employee nor do I have the start up rattle and I'm irritated about it. Only reason why I went with another f150 after my pos 2013 was because of the redesign

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wish they still offered the 6.2 in the f150s, that motor is bulletproof! My 18 is paid for and I am seriously thinking about trading it in on a superduty with the 6.2 I will wait and see how the dealer handles this. One bright side to it is I learned my lesson with the 13 and have a Ford extended bumper bumper on this til 120k. Just can't be without my truck during fishing season. Hopefully they will give me a truck for a loaner, but I'm not optimistic on that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have this rattle and the "throttle bip rattle". The startup rattle seems to go away sooner when it's warmer out than when it's cold. I took the cover off the engine and it sounds like it's coming from the HPFP, but I won't bet any money on it.

Actually, I listened to the audio closer...that's not what mine does. Mine is more of a tapping noise that goes away after about 30 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the temp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On mine they would not replace the cam phasers - according to the dealer, they are not part of the repair package. I noticed my used, year model 2018 was built in the fall of 2017. Not that it makes any difference, but I'd be willing to be that 2017 engine parts (doomed with the rattle) were in my 2018. Anyway, the dealer did the recall (I had owned the vehicle for about 3 weeks or so) and when I picked it up, the water pump blew up on the way home. I rode back to the dealer on the tow truck and handed them the keys. They replaced the truck with another 2018 truck that I confirmed was built in the summer of 2018. I can't believe that engine problems seem to have plagued this engine from 2011 to 2017 and perhaps into 2018. It is absolutely inexcusable.

·
Premium Member
6,869 Posts
It's hard to defend Ford considering the fact they KNOW exactly what is going on. But in all fairness, there are many many thousands of these trucks that do NOT present the owner with a miserable experience.

Still, they could do better.

·
Registered
512 Posts
cam phasers/ timing chain tensioners, had 2 or 3 here.

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,869 Posts
Yep. That's it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It's that internet thing. :)

It's so easy for there to be a common rendezvous spot that covers a VAST worldwide population. So when a small gathering, like this forum, gets a population of doom-reports it really can be misleading.

Then increase the gathering, like Facebook, and it REALLY can skew the impression.

But a dealership dealing with trucks sold VS trucks with the exact issue is likely a far better indicator. If you sell 60 trucks a month for 3 years and you get 3 of them with the same issue, it's far less gloomy.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's that internet thing. :)

It's so easy for there to be a common rendezvous spot that covers a VAST worldwide population. So when a small gathering, like this forum, gets a population of doom-reports it really can be misleading.

Then increase the gathering, like Facebook, and it REALLY can skew the impression.

But a dealership dealing with trucks sold VS trucks with the exact issue is likely a far better indicator. If you sell 60 trucks a month for 3 years and you get 3 of them with the same issue, it's far less gloomy.

oh yes. i keep telling people we are such a small sample size compared to the actual amount of F150 owners

·
Registered
66 Posts
It certainly sounds like every other vehicle manufacturer on the road. GM for instance had a power brake booster problem. the power would just go out of it and you'd have to 2 foot the brakes to stop. Honda, burnt more oil than gas for a decade. Guys at the track that run them in the bone stock class and they all smoke. I think, in an effort to make the best product they can in the 55 seconds/ station on the line, they seem to hit it pretty well. I've worked in feeder plants Ford, and Ford will dictate how many times a part must be inspected. To the point, in some places, the checking (fixture/robot/machine) is part of the manufacturing process (porosity checks, magnaflux, etc). Timing chain issue IMO comes from poor metallurgy trying to save a few cents per chain.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts