F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
For the guys doing this, do you let off the key before releasing the pedal then try a normal start? Or do you just floor it, turn the key and let off it?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Floor it, hold to the floor, turn key to start.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
I got that part. The truck won't start and it primes the oil. Question is what do you do AFTER that. Do you you release the key, they try a normal start? Or do you just let off the gas and let it start?

·
Administrator
9,950 Posts
After that start as usual. Foot off the gas and turn the key.

Also, you don't even need to release the key. When I do my pre oil procedure, I don't HOLD the key to on. I just give it a quick turn like any other time I start the truck. Turn and release. While holding the pedal. The truck turns over until it times out, then start like any other time.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
Treat the turn-of-the-key the same as a pushbutton start. Because it is.

Unlike older trucks, we only have to turn the key and release it to start the truck. The ecu controls how long the starter turns, not you holding the key.

I don't know if the key start trucks continue to crank for the exact amount of seconds as the pushbutton trucks do, but I bet it is likely.

It's about 4-5 seconds. If you don't let off the throttle before that time elapse, the ecu stops the starter. It would require an additional push of the button or turn of the key to crank beyond that ~5 seconds.

But only a long term (several days) bleed down requires a second attempt to get oil pressure up to 20lbs

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I usually hold my key down after I twist and never really thought of it as a push button/trip switch. Hell it all happens pretty quickly so I don't usually even think about it. Even if one 5 second cycle doesn't FULLY prime it, it's probably still better than just letting it start. Think about it this way, if it takes ~8-10 seconds to get full pressure after a full bleed down, if you just started it that's 8-10 seconds of no oil up on top. Yea I could see that causing a fair amount of premature wear over several starts.

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I usually hold my key down after I twist and never really thought of it as a push button/trip switch. Hell it all happens pretty quickly so I don't usually even think about it. Even if one 5 second cycle doesn't FULLY prime it, it's probably still better than just letting it start. Think about it this way, if it takes ~8-10 seconds to get full pressure after a full bleed down, if you just started it that's 8-10 seconds of no oil up on top. Yea I could see that causing a fair amount of premature wear over several starts.
So next time just turn that key and let go. You'll see that YOU aren't really controlling anything more than a "start command" . :)

As for cranking 4 seconds, or 8, or more...... I'm guessing that even if you let it start BEFORE it registered anything more than just 1psi, you could argue that the oil passages are now oiled and nothing would be dry.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

61 - 68 of 68 Posts