F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2013 F150 Ecoboost with a Edge Tuner, and today the tuner didn’t shut off, so I unplugged it and it reset the tune that was turned on. When I turned it back on all of the service lights turned on and said that there was Starting System Fault and will not crank over, has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it?

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,730 Posts
I don't know anything about the Edge tuner, but I didn't think any "tuner" was actively engaged in the onboard engine management. At least not an ODB interface based tuner.
I guess there's more types than I have ever used.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Moderstrator
1,528 Posts
The fault seems to point to the PATS.

Font Screenshot Electric blue Number

·
Moderstrator
1,528 Posts
PATS section from service manual is attached.
Before going deep into this, get a new battery or charge yours up.

Attachments

·
Moderstrator
1,528 Posts
A brief internet search “2013 F150 Stating System fault” also points to a loose connector in the passenger side footwell. I have no details on what to look for, but trying to push whatever connectors are there together may be worthwhile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reading this thread brings back ugly memories. My issue was a bit different- intermittent no crank/no start. Here are a few things that are within reason BUT as anticlimactic as this is, for me it was my key FOB losing sync with PATS. I bought a new key - programmed with FOREscan and it just worked again
Fuse 27 for fuel pump relocation
BCM in Passenger side kick panel: remove cover, reseat relays (i don't remember if they are in fact relays but the look like them.) Passengers feet have a tendency to rest on the panel which in turn rubs the modules underneath and sometimes unseats or degrades the connection.
Fuel pump Module.
Im sure there was more as it took me a good 8 months and (3) separate ~100 mile tows home. I was talked into AAA premium instead of standard a couple of years ago at renewal and I'm very glad I went with it.
Ill update this post f i remember anything else.
**bypassed ECU to engage Starter Solenoid verifying Solenoid and Starter were both in working condition

This was a a fun little find and something you can try to further strengthen the theory of a "possible" PATS issue. Turn you IGN key to the RUN position, or two bumps of the start button without foot on brake, if so equipt. Pop your hood, open fuse panel at the front of the engine bay, find yourself a good STRONG magnet ( i used one from e pistol mounting kit, worked perfectly) find the starter relay.(IIRC relay is in Top row, third from the left - dont quote me find out for sure first) put the magnet over only that relay and your starter will engage- taking your starter out of your lineuo ofpossible culprits pull the magnet away or it'll just continue cranking. This was a cool troubleshooting trick that I had never heard of and also imressed some "dudes who know their car stuff" friends' of mine. I was told that if all else was OK that the key in RUN and magnet/starter trick should start my truck - it didnt but it did engage the starter without having to bump the solenoid under the truck - no sparks - no burns neat trick.

2014 F-150 Super Crew, 3.5 EB, 4x4, 5.5 bed, 147K miles, SCTx4 with Ortiz Performance 91 Tune

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reading this thread brings back ugly memories. My issue was a bit different- intermittent no crank/no start. Here are a few things that are within reason BUT as anticlimactic as this is, for me it was my key FOB losing sync with PATS. I bought a new key - programmed with FOREscan and it just worked again
Fuse 27 for fuel pump relocation
BCM in Passenger side kick panel: remove cover, reseat relays (i don't remember if they are in fact relays but the look like them.) Passengers feet have a tendency to rest on the panel which in turn rubs the modules underneath and sometimes unseats or degrades the connection.
Fuel pump Module.
Im sure there was more as it took me a good 8 months and (3) separate ~100 mile tows home. I was talked into AAA premium instead of standard a couple of years ago at renewal and I'm very glad I went with it.
Ill update this post f i remember anything else.
**bypassed ECU to engage Starter Solenoid verifying Solenoid and Starter were both in working condition

This was a a fun little find and something you can try to further strengthen the theory of a "possible" PATS issue. Turn you IGN key to the RUN position, or two bumps of the start button without foot on brake, if so equipt. Pop your hood, open fuse panel at the front of the engine bay, find yourself a good STRONG magnet ( i used one from e pistol mounting kit, worked perfectly) find the starter relay.(IIRC relay is in Top row, third from the left - dont quote me find out for sure first) put the magnet over only that relay and your starter will engage- taking your starter out of your lineuo ofpossible culprits pull the magnet away or it'll just continue cranking. This was a cool troubleshooting trick that I had never heard of and also imressed some "dudes who know their car stuff" friends' of mine. I was told that if all else was OK that the key in RUN and magnet/starter trick should start my truck - it didnt but it did engage the starter without having to bump the solenoid under the truck - no sparks - no burns neat trick.

2014 F-150 Super Crew, 3.5 EB, 4x4, 5.5 bed, 147K miles, SCTx4 with Ortiz Performance 91 Tune
Alex,
Thanks for providing this magnet trick. I will use it to eliminate the same possible culprit.
Brad

·
Registered
701 Posts
I own a 2013 F150 Ecoboost with a Edge Tuner, and today the tuner didn’t shut off, so I unplugged it and it reset the tune that was turned on. When I turned it back on all of the service lights turned on and said that there was Starting System Fault and will not crank over, has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it?
Is it coincidence that we both have an edge tuner and are experiencing no crank/start? I am getting different error messages than you are.

did you get it solved?

• Wow
Reactions: Boatwaco
1 - 12 of 12 Posts