F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post. I have a 2018 F150 Lariat 503A and my problem is the steering drifts to either the right or the left while driving on any street or highway at any speed. I brought it to the dealer twice and they can't seem to figure it out. The first visit they did a wheel alignment. the second visit they called ford engineers and they said to turn off the lane correction from the drivers identification center. I don't think i ever turned it on. I think I turned it off. But if it were on and I drive down a street without the white lines it shouldn't move and it would alert me first right?? BTW tires are at 35-37psi 20" good year wranglers.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
Definitely not right. I have virtually the same truck. And it came with those tires. (taking them off now at 4000)

I have heard similar complaints while towing, but I think it was 17's and Ford "flashed" the trucks to address it.
So the dealer admits there's a problem? If so, that's a start.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely not right. I have virtually the same truck. And it came with those tires. (taking them off now at 4000)

I have heard similar complaints while towing, but I think it was 17's and Ford "flashed" the trucks to address it.
So the dealer admits there's a problem? If so, that's a start.

Yes they did admit there is a problem. Yesterday I took a ride with one of the techs/mechanics, he said there is a problem. He mentioned that electric steering possibly needs to be re-calibrated. I love the truck! hopefully they can correct it! Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on my truck...Dealer still has it and can't figure out the problem. They said "we have a call into Ford and waiting to see if they can fix it" If they can't fix it I want a new one!! I have this one only 2 1/2 months. Not happy!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I thought a few times mine was doing the same thing. I pay particular attention to keeping the tire pressure even in all 4 tires so I know it not that. I then began to think it was the road surface causing it. I've also noticed in my 2018 F-150 Platinum FX4 was that the steering felt like it was pulling to the left as I went around a right turn or curve. I'm not sure what that is. The tires appear to be wearing evenly.

I've just been writing it off as a characteristic of the steering system. I guess we're not alone.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2015/steering/steering.shtml

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update...so far nothing new. Ford engineers are telling dealer to do the same thing they already did. Spoke to the dealer today. They have been very nice so far and gave me a loner. A ford Edge. The service manager said they are going to replace the rack n pinion. Se'll see!

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
It's crazy that only some trucks are affected and that the difference is so difficult to discern.

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
Finally a success story around here.

Feels completely different, I suspect. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
PaulB2018, could you please let me know which dealership you went to for the fix? I have the same issue with my brand new 2018 F150 and Ford Motor Co. is refusing to fix it. They claim that all of their trucks drive this way and that it is normal operating procedure. They will not authorize any dealership to perform any work.

I am going into Lemon Law litigation against Ford Motor Co. and would like the know which dealership addressed the issue for you. It will help in my case against them.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes they did admit there is a problem. Yesterday I took a ride with one of the techs/mechanics, he said there is a problem. He mentioned that electric steering possibly needs to be re-calibrated. I love the truck! hopefully they can correct it! Thanks.
I have a 2018 f150 lariat and it is a bear to drive, it chases every ridge and rut in the road, it drifts left then right then left and has a mind of it's own, it is a miserable truck to drive, every person that has driven this truck makes a comment on how poor it steers, it borders on dangerous, and when you hook a trailer to it the fun really begins, the dealership knows there is a problem, we are sure it has to do with Ford's drift compensation and the truck trying to compensate for the different road conditions like crowns, but it is a total failure, and you can not let up driving this truck for a second, it is my 4th and last f150, but the steering needs to be tamed down, you can feel the steering wheel getting impulses constantly, there has to be a cure for this, and no it is not lane assist! This is a dangerous steering defect and we should all start registering complaints with the NHTSA to get something done now, we have spent a lot of money to wind up with this mess!

that steering system has an alogrithym for it that is supposed to be set with the front end alignment but no tech has been shared that info to this point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts