F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my 13 Screw came with the chrome Ford step bars, I don't mind them but my wife has issues with them. They are too close to the body and she is having problems getting in and out. Now normally that isn't an issue as i get to leave her at home a lot but when she does go I hear about how they suck. I had Westin's on the Dodge and she liked them as they were a little further away from the body. My question is has anyone replaced their factory bars or installed anything aftermarket and what did you use? how are they holding up? Are they further away from the body than the stock ones?

Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
My son installed the AMP Power Running Boards on his FX4. The do extend lower than the Ford OEM boards. But they were easier to step onto, I believe a little wider and had courtesy lights.

He really enjoyed them for the two weeks he kept that truck before trading it in on a RAPTOR...which has it's own special SVT running board design.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i put GoRhino Dominator II stainless steel step bars on my 2013 because it didnt have anything from the factory or dealer.
the main bar is tucked pretty tight to the body which conceals the view of the frame and under each door there is a drop down step that i plan on color matching to the truck.
i like the functionality of them and the looks but they are a bit salty, then again if i lived in TX or some place other than in the middle of the salt belt i wouldnt need stainless steel.

you can see them in this post or i would be happy to get a diff pic or angle taken if you would like !

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/16-f150-ecoboost-accessories/1334-first-eb-mod-ideas-wanted.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jonrjen, I like the AMP steps, I know they test them but I am still leery about motorized steps in salt ridden SW PA.

brian, I like those bars. I'll have to see if any shops around have a set to see how far they stick out. Thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
jonrjen, I like the AMP steps, I know they test them but I am still leery about motorized steps in salt ridden SW PA.
I can fully understand your position. I was impressed with them when I saw them in action, but we own 500 acres just down the road. When it gets good wet and muddy that nasty Texas clay get tossed all over and under my truck. My thoughts were that the electric motors may not hold up well to the abuse of the clay or the weight of mud packed running boards.

Sometimes less is more. Plus I'm a big believer in the KISS Principal (Keep It Simple Stupid).

·
Registered
868 Posts
snow i looked up those bars on amazon and printed the best ad i could find out then took it to an A&A Auto prts and they matched it and shipped them in so i had no shipping fees either
they didnt have them in the store !
totally 304 stainless and alum treads are removable so i plan on color matching the truck with the treads

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, I never thought about doing that I mean getting an Amazon price and taking it to AA or Autozone. I'm not much of a shopper.
We went looking at a couple houses yesterday and I get "these steps aren't so bad, I'm getting used to them". GAAAAAAAA!!! I'm used to it after 24 years together but it still gets aggravating.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Interesting, I never thought about doing that I mean getting an Amazon price and taking it to AA or Autozone. I'm not much of a shopper.
We went looking at a couple houses yesterday and I get "these steps aren't so bad, I'm getting used to them". GAAAAAAAA!!! I'm used to it after 24 years together but it still gets aggravating.
No, that's not aggravation, that is just after 24 years your still experiencing that marital learning curve. Trust me, it was 32 years for us earlier this month and I'm still learning to listen and agree no matter how many times she changes her mind.

·
Registered
311 Posts
One of the things that I liked about the FX trim was the running board design. It is a step vs a bar which I am hoping will protect the truck body from my front tires chunking rocks. I haven't noticed any issues with using it as a step. Lariat uses the same step in chrome which would look good on an XLT chrome package trim.

·
Registered
96 Posts
my 13 Screw came with the chrome Ford step bars, I don't mind them but my wife has issues with them. They are too close to the body and she is having problems getting in and out. Now normally that isn't an issue as i get to leave her at home a lot but when she does go I hear about how they suck. I had Westin's on the Dodge and she liked them as they were a little further away from the body. My question is has anyone replaced their factory bars or installed anything aftermarket and what did you use? how are they holding up? Are they further away from the body than the stock ones?

Thanks

I'm in the exact same boat with my 13 screw. They are just way to close to the truck for my liking. My work boots hit the bottom of the truck way too much.
With just taking a brief look under the step bars I think I may be able to modify the bracket. If I can add 2" piece of steel to the bracket that holds the step bar, I could slide it out 1.5 - 2". I think pulling them away from the truck that distance would make them a lot more practical. As they are not very practical in there current factory position.....

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I noticed the same thing when wearing my boots... I had to be super careful not to kick the truck. I don't want them to hang any lower though. Solution for me: clear bra below the doors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat with my 13 screw. They are just way to close to the truck for my liking. My work boots hit the bottom of the truck way too much.
With just taking a brief look under the step bars I think I may be able to modify the bracket. If I can add 2" piece of steel to the bracket that holds the step bar, I could slide it out 1.5 - 2". I think pulling them away from the truck that distance would make them a lot more practical. As they are not very practical in there current factory position.....

I have been thinking about doing this vary thing with mine they just aren't very usable in there stock location plus now that winter is here I have noticed that they hold a lot of nasty salty snow up against the rockers. The bottoms of the steps are open as well and they hold a lot of crap under there as well. I am not a big fan of md flaps but I may have to put some on... I think I ma pull them off this weekend and see about extending hem out I will let you all know how it urns out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just visited my buddy that does some metal work. He looked under and said it would be an easy/quick job to bring it out from the truck. Hope to do it soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cool guys. Let's us know how it goes.

I'm currently in a sling from another shoulder surgery.....In the mean time I will be adding some clear 3M 84904 clear protective tape to my sill plates. The wife already put a small stuff on her side with a pair of heels....

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Bump

I just visited my buddy that does some metal work. He looked under and said it would be an easy/quick job to bring it out from the truck. Hope to do it soon.
Did you ever do this? I am looking for my next project. I saw a version on the big old forum, but I am looking for other options to slightly extend a 2013 FX4 step (running board) away from the truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts