F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since installing this lower grille a couple years ago, I have had zero condensation issues.

This is the cover Ford installed before I installed the lower grille and was supposed to remedy the condensation issues. It helped, but still had stumbling at times from sucking up condensation.

Should I just go ahead and take that cover off and see if the condensation issues return ? Very humid here most of the year.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Wouldn’t hurt to at all. The cover is only held by push pins and if for some reason you want to install it back on, you can.

Just be sure to remove the cover plate that runs down the FACE of the CAC. Not the rear of the CAC.

Hell doing the weep hole helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course all 4 pushpins are ruined, but it's off !

Is it gonna have a twinturbocharged runaway now ? 🤞🏼 🤪 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Of course all 4 pushpins are ruined, but it's off !

View attachment 167609

Is it gonna have a twinturbocharged runaway now ? 🤞🏼 🤪 🤷🏻‍♂️
You want that upper one in place. It keeps the hot air from the CAC from blowing up into the radiator.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang it ! So that's what he meant.
Gotta find some new pushpins.
Thanks !

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the aftermarket CAC's include a heat shield for the back side ?
Could this be part of the overheating some folks experience when boosting uphill ?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
See I’m not sure most took that into consideration. It definitely COULD be a factor but no one truly knows. It’s clearly not disrupting flow thru the intercooler.

I personally trust the ford engineers who spent hours on hours designing these trucks. But it does serve a purpose. Is it a big purpose? No one will ever know.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Do the aftermarket CAC's include a heat shield for the back side ?
Could this be part of the overheating some folks experience when boosting uphill ?
My AFE does not and I know the Wagner sticks WAY up.

Full races sits right in front of the radiator and they claim no ill effect, which I find hard to believe.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Here is my AFe:

I also built my own shroud in the front to keep air from spilling over and around the CAC;

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed -

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is my AFe:

I also built my own shroud in the front to keep air from spilling over and around the CAC;

Most excellent 👍🏼

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I took the OEM baffles off the CAC earlier this year. I too have that same kind of grill guard in the bumper as well.

I can't say it's done anything or not by removing those baffles? Temps still go up on both the rad and the IAC2 when running the boost.

I would think the A/C condenser in front and running your A/C will put a lot of heat thru the rad too?

I don't think I need to worry about turning off my A/C when towing and running some boost. Have not had any kind of overheat issues or even any "condensation" issues due to stuff being sucked in from the CAC. I do monitor my temps with an ODBC2 plug in and app.

At this point, I'm gonna leave them off and do a couple more tows this summer and go from there.

Good luck! Mitch

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I took the OEM baffles off the CAC earlier this year. I too have that same kind of grill guard in the bumper as well.

I can't say it's done anything or not by removing those baffles? Temps still go up on both the rad and the IAC2 when running the boost.

I would think the A/C condenser in front and running your A/C will put a lot of heat thru the rad too?

I don't think I need to worry about turning off my A/C when towing and running some boost. Have not had any kind of overheat issues or even any "condensation" issues due to stuff being sucked in from the CAC. I do monitor my temps with an ODBC2 plug in and app.

At this point, I'm gonna leave them off and do a couple more tows this summer and go from there.

Good luck! Mitch
I think the IAT2 sensor heat soaks so I don’t put to much weight in it. Last time I towed my IAT2 only ever swung like 8-10 degrees regardless of whether i was climbing a massive grade or coasting down one.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thanks Mass. Mine heat soaks more idling or in traffic. So does the IAC1 temps. Once I get rolling again and I do put some boost thru it, my IAC2 temps will go down some 20+ degrees pretty quick. Yes it will rise when pulling some boost, but seems to go down again once out and coasting again. Dunno.. Guess we all have our own variables and temps and driving styles.. Probably not going to have a one solution fits all kind of thing here!

Mitch

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Before I installed my Wagner, I took that cover off my stock CAC as well shortly after buying my truck. I did notice a minor improvement in my IAT2 Temps with it off, and I still go no condensation. I drove like that for about 6 months before I finally got my Wagner

PS: I have a similar grill covering my CAC, with no ill effects. The amount of air it reduces is minimal.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Before I installed my Wagner, I took that cover off my stock CAC as well shortly after buying my truck. I did notice a minor improvement in my IAT2 Temps with it off, and I still go no condensation. I drove like that for about 6 months before I finally got my Wagner

PS: I have a similar grill covering my CAC, with no ill effects. The amount of air it reduces is minimal.
Thanks Glenn. Do you still have the heat shield behind the CAC ?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
It’s pretty crazy the performance difference between stock 11-12 intercooler and stock 13-14 intercooler. Ever since they added those blocks inside the intercooler(13-14) the efficiency of them just tanked.

I never had an issue of heat soak when towing with my 2011. I never found a need upgrading the intercooler. IATs were always consistent. Yet when we had my wife’s 2013, that thing heat soaked VERY quick (Of course many other factors). But living in SoCal I never had an issue with moisture.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Thanks Glenn. Do you still have the heat shield behind the CAC ?
Sorry, no. I took them off almost immediately when I got my truck. Then, about 6 months later, I went with the Wagner.

After a few years, I just tossed them as I didn't ever plan to use them. I would only return to the OEM if I were planning to sell the truck.

I never had any issues when I took them off. I also refused the "reflash" of my PCM by the dealership over the Condensation Issue. A number of guys who got the reflash and drove "stock" commented that it seemed like Ford neutered the new Strategy.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm. Thanks Glenn.
Mine sure doesn't seem to be "neutered" but it's the only one I have ever driven.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts