F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With just over 3500 miles and just under 2 months, I have now had my 2013 F-150 Extended XLT into the shop twice.
First time at 1500 miles was headlight concerns, broken high beam switch and vibration issues on the highway.
Grappone Ford gave me back the truck with a new switch, adjusted headlights and they road force balanced all the tires.
This is the second Ford I've owned with terrible headlights, distance and area lit up are terrible. No fix for that other then changing the lights, new PIAA bulbs on order.

So after taking our last 600 mile trip to Maine we noticed that the vibration was again there and even worse.
Another trip to the dealer, this time a road test with a tech to validate the problem.
Once again road force balance and this time they replaced one of the tires.
Why does it take a second visit and loosing my new truck for 2 days for them to fix the problem?
I'm starting to regret buying another Ford! My 2004 diesel 4X4 was a problem child. :confused:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sorry to read about your discouragement with your truck. I know it can be frustrating. Lighting can be a real pain in the ass. The problem is the injection molded plastic headlight assembly they put in modern trucks. Gone are the days of using round or rectangular glass replacement headlights. I loved them things as you can buy the non-DOT approved off-road lights and put in 110w bulbs and light the road a mile down range. Can't go too high on the wattage now with this plastic crap as you will melt them. I do say that my '13 Limited has the HID lights and they are decent. Only thing one has to wory about is the plastic fading and getting foggy in a few years. Other than that I'm happy with them.

As for your tires and vibrations, I would take the truck to another dealer or go to an independant shop that can do a performance computer/spin balance and pay to have it done. They might find something the dealer missd or is intentionally overlooking. In all honesty I hate having anyone touching my vehicles. They seem to last longer and are more trouble free when I do the work myself even if it means buying the parts myself instead of using the warranty.

I'm over 3,000 miles on my truck and so far it is working fine. After getting the PCM flashed my mileage is really coming up so I am excited. Only worry is how reliable EcoBoost will be over time. ASk me in ten years if I'm happy with my truck. I still have my 2001 F150 and love it. Its been very reliable with only minor issues that I corrected myself. Nothing out of the ordinary and unexpected for a high mileage truck.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Sorry you are having a few issues! Looks like the dealer is fixing the issues. It still sucks though when a pretty new vehicle has to go in for work. Hopefully the bugs are all worked out and you will start having some trouble free miles.

SPPD

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Sorry to hear that outlaw. Maybe you just got a lemon. I have over 30k on my '13 fx4 with zero issues

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from a long drive where I managed to get on some new pavement and the vibration is still there. Now I'm pissed.
Yes I agree the light thing can be fixed with some off road lights. The funny thing is my wife's Toyota RAV4 has better down the road lights then my truck. She also has 30K service free miles.
Really starting to wish I'd gone with the Tacoma, yes a lot less truck but my last one needed nothing in 108K miles. Make one wonder!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Just got back from a long drive where I managed to get on some new pavement and the vibration is still there. Now I'm pissed.
Yes I agree the light thing can be fixed with some off road lights. The funny thing is my wife's Toyota RAV4 has better down the road lights then my truck. She also has 30K service free miles.
Really starting to wish I'd gone with the Tacoma, yes a lot less truck but my last one needed nothing in 108K miles. Make one wonder!
I suggest you test drive another brand new truck on the same road and see if it does the same thing. If it does then maybe you are just disliking how the trucks ride. If not start talking 'lemon law' to them.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suggest you test drive another brand new truck on the same road and see if it does the same thing. If it does then maybe you are just disliking how the trucks ride. If not start talking 'lemon law' to them.
I believe that some of the vibration is in the drive line. The tech that drove with me did as well but his superior said it was a tire issue.
I'm going to let it go for a bit and see if it gets worse. Then complain again.
I love the truck but as with my 04 the problems take a lot of the likability away.
Still it beats the hell out of the standard Xterra I've been driving around for the last 4-5 years getting 14-15 around town and 17 highway.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I believe that some of the vibration is in the drive line. The tech that drove with me did as well but his superior said it was a tire issue.
I'm going to let it go for a bit and see if it gets worse. Then complain again.
I love the truck but as with my 04 the problems take a lot of the likability away.
Still it beats the hell out of the standard Xterra I've been driving around for the last 4-5 years getting 14-15 around town and 17 highway.
I had a set of tires where the tread separated. Tires remained balance but you could feel the vibration. It's not very common these days but it happens.

But, I too like the idea from Nasty Wendy ... test drive a new truck on the same road and see if it has the same issue or not. It will help eliminate a problem.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've got a little vibration too but it seems to come and go and I only notice it between 55-65 on long stints.

My Rav4 was not so problem free. It was in the shop more than any of my last 5 fords. In 70k I went though 10 tires,2 4x4 contol modules, a high pressure oil leak that just so happend to leave us at home at the end of a 350 mile trip (thank god) a bad coil and leaking water pump. However, I would buy another toyota because dealing with the dealership was much more pleasurable than dealing with my local ford dealership.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Can you describe this in a bit better detail? I always second guess if its just the pavement Im on because often you'll feel the bouncing or vibrations as you're cruising along, and then you'll hit a different stretch of road and its smooth as warm butter.

I seem to be noticing some funny bouncing and/or vibrations with my new 2013 SCrew 5.5 bed from time to time... but down the Interstate it feels really smooth cruisng at 70+ mph, and in general it seems smooth around town.

·
Registered
360 Posts
And for the record, mine needs to go back because my drivers seat lumbar adjustment has sounded worse than an antique rocking chair since I took delivery. lol The only way it doesnt squeek / creak when I shift my back against it is if I have the lumbar adjustment fully maxed out and pushing into my back (which I dont like). I'd be willing to bet I take this back to them a few times before they fix it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
And for the record, mine needs to go back because my drivers seat lumbar adjustment has sounded worse than an antique rocking chair since I took delivery. lol The only way it doesnt squeek / creak when I shift my back against it is if I have the lumbar adjustment fully maxed out and pushing into my back (which I dont like). I'd be willing to bet I take this back to them a few times before they fix it.
Mine just started doing this today! Annoying as crap!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts