F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting the truck today , 2 seconds after crank stopped and engine was running heard a fairly loud but strange noise. Sounded almost as if someone stuck a peice of cardboard in an office fan. But more violent. It's only for a second and I do believe I've heard it before just the radio was on to loud to notice that well.
Goin to keep radio off on start up and keep listening.
Any ideas or things to check out?

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Could possibly be the timing chain, there is a TSB out for it on some trucks. Otherwise I don't know what to tell you aside from making sure your radiator fan is clear of any debris.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Starting the truck today , 2 seconds after crank stopped and engine was running heard a fairly loud but strange noise. Sounded almost as if someone stuck a peice of cardboard in an office fan. But more violent. It's only for a second and I do believe I've heard it before just the radio was on to loud to notice that well.

Thanks
Maybe check the fans and make sure something isn't lodged in there? I know sometimes on startup the fans will kick on automatically. Maybe something was in there and then got thrown out after the fans ran for a second. Also, just curious, had you left your AC on high or anything like that? I have done that before on previous vehicles and then on a cold startup the AC compressor will make some funny noises for the first couple seconds on a cold startup. Just spit balling....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AC was left on max , turned the key half way when I got in and shut power off before I started. Could possibly be it.

ive also noticed on start up that the whole system just seams a bit louder, not really the engine but just the pump noises and turbos seem to spool up pretty good on initial idle? Is this normal and my mind just thinking bad things ?

·
Registered
752 Posts
AC was left on max , turned the key half way when I got in and shut power off before I started. Could possibly be it.

ive also noticed on start up that the whole system just seams a bit louder, not really the engine but just the pump noises and turbos seem to spool up pretty good on initial idle? Is this normal and my mind just thinking bad things ?
Yeah I am thinking it was just the AC compressor kicking on when the engine was cold. As far as the turbos being louder etc. on a cold start, that is completely normal. It's just the warm up cycle the engine does when starting. No worries!

·
Registered
72 Posts

Thanks
Hi F150jet,

Let me give you a hand with this issue. Have you been to a dealer to get it diagnosed? Please send me a PM with your VIN, name, phone number, servicing dealer, and odometer reading.

Mathieu

·
Registered
76 Posts
My truck is in the shop for this same noise. It is definitely a timing chain issue on mine. So far they are telling me they can't fix it. It has been there for over a week this time. I have been trying to get it fixed since last November.

Mine only does it on cold starts after the truck has been driven.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My truck is in the shop for this same noise. It is definitely a timing chain issue on mine. So far they are telling me they can't fix it. It has been there for over a week this time. I have been trying to get it fixed since last November.

Mine only does it on cold starts after the truck has been driven.

Hi MatthewR,

Is a Ford Dealership inspecting your truck? What is its model year/mileage? I'd like to see what I can do to help.

Crystal

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi MatthewR, Is a Ford Dealership inspecting your truck? What is its model year/mileage? I'd like to see what I can do to help. Crystal
Yes it is at Prestige Ford in Garland Texas. It has been there since last Monday.

It's a 2011 and has 61000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yes it is at Prestige Ford in Garland Texas. It has been there since last Monday.

It's a 2011 and has 61000 miles on it.
PM me your details, MatthewR; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager so they can work with your dealer on a resolution for the noise. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

·
Registered
76 Posts
PM me your details, MatthewR; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager so they can work with your dealer on a resolution for the noise. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Crystal
Wendy is already working on it. They are telling me I have to come pick it up today or they will start charging me for my rental car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts