F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum after looking around for information about Ecoboost engines. Had a very strange thing happen to me last weekend. Was driving in the mountains with a small trailer on a cold morning(-25 degrees Celsius ) hit a pocket of even colder air - 32 and came upon a small hill. Truck downshifted for about 6 seconds and then shifted back up to top gear. Then the fun started with the strangest sound I have heard in a truck, it was a higher pitched spin down kind of sound. The best way I can describe it would be to compare it to listening to radial airplane starting up in reverse. Any way, it happened once more on my way to my destination. On my 3 hour drive home nothing. My best guess is the waste gate froze up and couldnt release the pressure so the turbo was surging a bit. Any thoughts or similar experiences would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I am hoping it was a one off event and the dealer is not offering any advice other than bring it in if it happens again. I would rather be proactive if its truly an issue.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I asked my buddy who works for ford. He said that there is a small chance it may have iced over. But he said it should also flag loss of turbo/supercharger boost on the truck.

Reactions: Calg_Rider

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was just wondering if the turbos have variable vanes or if they are fixed. If variable I wonder if they got stuck in a low boost position and got overspun.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Everyone,

Haven't been looking at this issue for some time as my problem only happened twice and was not repeatable. That said, I was watching some videos discussing blow off valves and I learned that having no valve or having a valve set to a very high boost pressure will produce the sound I heard. In fact the tech on the video exactly emulated the strange sound I heard. I am now convinced that when I entered a very very cold pocket of air the blow off valves froze shut for a bit and created the back pressure to the turbos. Hope this helps if anyone else hears the strange sound. If this happens to a truck in warmer weather I would take it as a serious malfunction, in the cold weather it may just be a once in a while rare occurrence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts