F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had read about this issue in another thread but have failed to find it. (Of course I read it before I experience the problem)
I have a 2013 XLT SuperCrew 2wd I bought it on 12/12/13 with 5 miles and now have 2900 miles.
Over the past 1000 miles I have noticed a strange noise when accelerating, when I accelerate normally I hear it. Its like a deep humming noise or like a "ugghhhhh" sound.
Its not super loud. Almost sounds like air wooshing in under my hood or somthing. It mostly starts near the end of 3rd gear and remains constant through 5th gear. The sound never changes pitch.
I dont feel change in power or anything and if I lay down the throttle when its making the noise the power is there. I dont think it could be a blow off valve just due to the sound and the timing on when it happens. It doesnt do it everytime I get in and drive though so taking it to the dealer might not payoff. anyone else have this happen? Its just annoying really.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so i guess no one knows what this could be, as of yesterday I started hearing the same noise when putting it into park and into drive. This morning when I got to work i put it in park and it started making the noise. I pulled out my camera and this is what I got. ( when i open my door you can hear a diesel engine in the back ground but when i put my phone under the fender you can hear it well, and then I open the hood and you can hear it and then all of a sudden it stopped.) any comments?? ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY! maybe this video will be enough to show the dealer if i go in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wish I could help out but honestly I have no idea...I have also only had my truck for a week though. Hope someone can shed some light on this problem. Have you taken it to the dealer??
I have not taken it yet, only because I'm sure when I get there and take a tech on a drive it wont make the sound lol always seems to be my luck..

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
Same with me and my Subaru when the wheel bearing went out (was screeching pretty bad). Took it in and they put it on a lift. Techs said they couldn't hear anything. I was like alright. Not even pulling out of the parking lot it was still making the noise so I walked back in and had the 'master tech' go for a ride. Took him along some self storage units and it was loud as fack. He said that they heard that noise but wheel bearings usually make more of a whoorlong noise. SMH

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
lol yeah, well it happens. Must only need a GED to become a tech if that lol jk

But hey they know 49326 times as much as I do lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could be the air injection pump going bad. On newer vehicles they put them anywhere and wheel wells are a common place.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Could be the air injection pump going bad. On newer vehicles they put them anywhere and wheel wells are a common place.
Uhhh, say that again and explain where and what the "air injection" pump is. I am fairly certain that we do not use air injection pumps (a.k.a. thermactor pump) anymore.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Tundras have had bad problems with their air injection pumps! About a $2-3000 fix. So bad Toyota extended warranty to 150,000 miles for AIP mess. I hope Ford doesn't have AIP mess. All caused by EPA!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The air injection pump is used to inject air into the exhaust upon startup to help the cats burn hydrocarbons efficiently. Many manufacturers are using them again to help beat emissions. I am unsure as to where the pump is mounted since it's most likely run off of the PCM, not belt run like they used to be.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The air injection pump is used to inject air into the exhaust upon startup to help the cats burn hydrocarbons efficiently. Many manufacturers are using them again to help beat emissions. I am unsure as to where the pump is mounted since it's most likely run off of the PCM, not belt run like they used to be.
Hmmm, perhaps I have some studying to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm gunna be taking mine to the dealership this week. I'll mention the air injection thing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm gunna be taking mine to the dealership this week. I'll mention the air injection thing.
Let me know what you find out. Mine just started doing that intermittently. One time it was so drastic, it vibrated the whole drivetrain. Does it sometimes for a split second when throwing it from park into reverse or drive.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me know what you find out. Mine just started doing that intermittently. One time it was so drastic, it vibrated the whole drivetrain. Does it sometimes for a split second when throwing it from park into reverse or drive.

Well, ford just called. The service guy said that the tech did not hear any strange noises and that ecoboost's tend to make noises from time to time and what I was hearing was probably normal. The service guy was the one who listened to my video not the tech. Soo... the service guy told me that if it got louder or started occuring more frequently to bring it back.

sooooo..... 1-1/2 days without my truck for nothing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would say I have a good straightforward relationship with my dealer. I drive an extra 25 miles each way to go to a small dealership that takes care of their customers and despite having only two salesmen, probably outsells their big town rival on trucks alone.
That being said, they are still reluctant to start doing TSB work on my vehicle based on hard to duplicate noises. The best advice I got from the manager is to keep a notepad in the truck and document every occurrence, so they can try to duplicate it themselves based on conditions. I think it's pretty lame in your case though, because you actually have a video recording of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, and the funny thing is when i pulled out of the dealership with it yesterday and got on the highway....it started making the noise again! I just started laughing. But after the one time leaving the dealership it has not made the noise. All well, as long as it doesnt effect anything I can deal with it for a while. I still have 7 years and 96,000 miles left on my warranty lol

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ok I started hearing the same noise when putting it into park and into drive. This morning when I got to work i put it in park and it started making the noise. I pulled out my camera and this is what I got. ( when i open my door you can hear a diesel engine in the back ground but when i put my phone under the fender you can hear it well, and then I open the hood and you can hear it and then all of a sudden it stopped.)
I heard it on your video: "Whhhhhaaaaaaaggggghhhhhhhh"... First under the wheel well, and then under the hood before it very clearly stopped.... Cant say Ive ever heard it from my truck (2013 S-Crew 4x4). Let us know what you find out, I'd be so pist. LOL Sorry.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Mine went in the dealer, and although they couldn't get it to make the noise on demand, they agreed to do the 'slow shift' TSB that supposedly addresses the groan as well. But, parts are on backorder till April...

1 - 20 of 128 Posts